Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Increase Max Number of Party Members

billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 339
edited July 2015 in Feature Requests
Hi Devs,

We had a brief conversation on this page:
http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/26673/all-you-wanted-to-know-about-baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-adventure-y-previously/p102
and this one:
http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/26673/all-you-wanted-to-know-about-baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-adventure-y-previously/p103

Thank you for your support, please externalize the maximum number of party members from 6 to an arbitrary high number. More than 6 party members has been a desire of players for years and if modders could work to add more party members it would mean a lot of fun for a lot of people.

There's already a GemRB mod which increases the max number of party members from 6 to 10 here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27138&page=1

If we could get a similar treatment, and the ability to mod the UI to better allow for more party members, it would mean so much to many of us.

Sincerely,

Bill

GrammarsaladFaydarkStoneSwords

Comments

• FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 273
    Good call.

With the UI and display settings I play on, there is room for at least 4 more portraits on the right hand party bar. I doubt I'd run around with a full party of 10 ever, but I would surely pickup an extra party member or two for specific quests and such.

billbisco
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited July 2015
    I like this idea, but there would need to be one hell of difficulty mod to go with it. Ascension/SCS won't mean much with a 10 member party. Something to double all the standard unnamed enemies, buff named enemies, that works with Ascension/SCS, could be a good start or maybe a HoF mode without the extra exp gain that also adds additional enemies.

I really do like the idea of giant battles.

• _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 87
    Problem is, party members slots are hard coded, it would be quite a Hell to convert everything and get the game go smooth without annoying bugs (i.e. map transitions not working properly, broken AI, scripts not going as intended).

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,141
    Oeh, this seems cool. Especially when doing a run for the NPC interaction and quests, rather than the main game, it would be nice to carry a few additional people around.

But it seems like more than 6 characters is only available for GemBR, which in turn is not compatible with EE (let alone SoD), so that's a no. Well, here's hoping someone ever mods this for EE!

• IxtabIxtab Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2
    So, I started trying to install that mod for 10 party members and got nowhere, came back to this thread and realized that I didnt notice that it is only for the non EE edition. Is there still no mod that lets you have more than 6 members for the EE edition?
    Even just one extra would be nice... I havent played in a long time, and I like making my whole party, but I forgot that you have to have some of the in game characters in your party for some quests, so it would be nice to add them as temporary members.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 5,814
    @Ixtab No there isn't. Which is a shame. 7 party members would be perfect for me.

• IxtabIxtab Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2
    This is a shame... I dont know much about modding for these games, but if it was done before, I don't know why it cant be done again for the EE version

Ixtab said:

This is a shame... I dont know much about modding for these games, but if it was done before, I don't know why it cant be done again for the EE version

Its all hardcoded, and very difficult, I don't think the one mod that could do it ever got out of beta. The IE has been changed enough, that it would be starting from scratch. That is a LOT of work.

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,141
    edited May 16
    It wasn't just a mod for the old version... If that were the case, someone would've surely updated it by now.

It was actually a re-implementation of the Engine called GemRB: http://www.gemrb.org/

Well, that and the 10pp mod that was specifically designed for GemRB.

If you can stand playing the Pre-EE games in this day and age, well, the BG, BG2 and IWD games seem to be fairly complete, so you could give it a go. You probably need the old games for everything to work well. I doubt they run well using the EE database files.

ThacoBell
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 9,076
    Thels said:

It wasn't just a mod for the old version... It was actually a re-implementation of the Engine

Emphasis added. There has never been, and there never will be, a mod for these games that allows more than 6 party members. Period, end of story. Sorry.

Frankly I think 6 is pretty generous. It allows you to have the classic 4-man party plus two extras. Most other games in this genre tend to let you have 4-5 or fewer party members. (That seems stingy to me.)

lefreut
    I'm a weirdo who wants exactly 7.

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,143
    ThacoBell said:

Play Silversword! :sunglasses:

https://silversword-rpg.com/

ThacoBell

ThacoBell said:

Play Silversword! :sunglasses:

https://silversword-rpg.com/
    I don't think I can have Minsc, Mazzy, Imoen, Sirene, Sarevok, and Jaheria in silversword :(

AstroBryGuy
    Actually, you know what? I'd be happy if there was a mod that let you build a secondary party of sorts. LIke a second team of six that doesn't travel with you visibly, but they will interject and banter as if they were party members. I don't know if that is feasible in any way, but banters and interjections are why I want more party members.