Skip to content

Why do adventurers need to have a stake in the vampire?

I've been wondering for quite a while now why we need a stake in order to kill a vampire. It doesn't make any sense as far as I can tell, because what is special about a stake that allows it and it alone to finish off a vampire?

If it's because the stake is blessed, then the Daystar or another undead-slaying weapon should also be able to finish off a vampire.

If it's because the stake is made of wood, then an ordinary club should be able to do the trick.

I'm not sure what the deal is. Do any of you have a better idea?

Comments

• proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    It's tradition! Don't question the undead, it leads nowhere.
    There are other ways to kill them...just ask Buffy. And see the following:
    http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/how-to-kill-a-vampire.html
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2015
    Details regarding what is involved can be found in the spoiler (they are taken from Monstrous Compendium). Its a bit more involved then just the use of the stake.

Last, a vampire can be killed by having a wooden stake driven through its heart. In this case, however, the creature can be restored simply by removing the stake if further measures are not taken to ensure the fate of the vampire. In order for it to be completely destroyed, the vampire's head must be cut off and its mouth stuffed with holy wafers (or their equivalent).
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    In BG2 you only get to stake about 8 vampires.

3 in the top floor of Bodhi's lair the first time around
    3 the second time around
    Bodhi the second time around
    The vampire in Spellhold

Compare that to how many vampires you 'defeat' throughout the saga. The only thing Charname is worse at killing is liches (not a single phylactery destroyed).

Which is why I can never have Charname be an Undead Hunter Paladin. It would just be too sad...
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @OlvynChuru - traditions vary between cultures, obviously, and perhaps you come from somewhere where the popular traditions about vampires aren't well-known. It's a very well-established meme in Western vampire fiction that a stake through the heart is the way (or part of the way) to kill a vampire.

@Grum - I think the in-game theory is that generic Vampires (and Fledgling Vampires, obviously) are "not fully developed" and don't yet need the staking ritual to destroy them; it's only the more senior vampires (i.e. the ones who have names) who require the traditional ritual.