Skip to content

Legends of Baldurs Gate - Any good?

GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
I've never really been a big comic book guy, but these have piqued my interest. Has anyone read them? Would you recommend?

For those interested:

[Spoiler]Synopsis: Generations have passed since the original heroes of Baldur’s Gate saved the city and the Realms. Now a new threat rises—and an unlikely group of misfits are thrust into adventure with Minsc, the legendary Ranger do-gooder with a heart of gold, brain of lead, and hamster of pronounced wisdom.

*Generations have passed?... Good lord how long to these giant miniature space hamsters live for? Boo must be 1003 in hamster years by this point![/spoiler]

Post edited by Genryu on
sarevok57BladeDancerJuliusBorisov

Comments

• BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    I've read them, all five of them, and I wasn't disappointed at all. I'm pretty sure you would like them too. My favorites are issue 1, issue 3, and issue 5.
    GenryuJuliusBorisov
  • GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
    Thank you! After the horror stories I've heard about the BG novels, I thought I'd check to see what the general concensus was on these.

Just curious, but are there any cameos by other existing NPCs, or do the stories just revolve around Minsc and his new companions?
    JuliusBorisov
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    They're great. Maybe not the BG-world you're used to, but Minsc is written brilliantly, and there are some shout-outs to other BG alumni.

But, more importantly, it's just a great yarn. Buy it!
    GenryuQuartzJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I've read them. I'm not into comic books at all but I found them to be decent.
    GenryuJuliusBorisov
  • GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
    Thanks guys, I'll look into them tonight. The digital version looks pretty inexpensive and contains all 5 installments.
    JuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It is a decent read. Being the rules lawyer I was a bit distracted, like how the main girl's magic works (it seems the comic writers accept Beamdog's idea about wild magic being a natural gift) and how a sleep spells affects an elf (and the elf survives a magic missile so I think the elf must be higher than 4th lvl) etc.
    But Minsc is golden! Exactly how I pictured his fighting in my mind, and with memorable quotes from the game as well. Oh and Boo is way too cute! (And chubby) (and actually useful!)
    GenryuSmilingSwordJuliusBorisov
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    lunar said:

It is a decent read. Being the rules lawyer I was a bit distracted, like how the main girl's magic works (it seems the comic writers accept Beamdog's idea about wild magic being a natural gift) and how a sleep spells affects an elf (and the elf survives a magic missile so I think the elf must be higher than 4th lvl) etc.
    But Minsc is golden! Exactly how I pictured his fighting in my mind, and with memorable quotes from the game as well. Oh and Boo is way too cute! (And chubby) (and actually useful!)

Using the D&D 5th edition rules, wild magic is a form of sorcery, so it's a natural talent rather than a learned thing.

Of course, by those same rules, elves are immune to sleep magic so...
    lunarHudzyJuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Oo I did not know about that! So Beamdog was inspired by the 5th edition when designing Neera and her wild mage friends!
    JuliusBorisov
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    So why don't I treated the same, I'm a wild mage too :disappointed:
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    lunar said:

Oo I did not know about that! So Beamdog was inspired by the 5th edition when designing Neera and her wild mage friends!

I never realized that! Wow!