• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Awong124 said:

Talvrae said:

...and pretty big lore

More like pretty big "bore".
    to each theyr taste
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    edited September 2012
    The original BG players would never make the comparison with Lord of the Rings or freakin!!! Harry Potter!! Forgotten Realms is awesome especially the older stories.
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    You gave me a hard choice there, but Lord of the Rings is what began my love of fantasy so I have to go with that.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    There is the real thing and then there is a bunch of people out there writing what they want about vampires and magic. HP is entertainment, it's decent but the rules of that world are a total joke, it'll never be taken seriously.
    FR(dnd) on the other hand is THE book of rules. There are many, as I call, variations. Some are good, most are a joke.

All of them are made up yes, but some have much more importance than other. Some aim for a higher purpose if you prefer.
    Razor said:

There is the real thing and then there is a bunch of people out there writing what they want about vampires and magic. HP is entertainment, it's decent but the rules of that world are a total joke, it'll never be taken serious

How so? I'm not the biggest HP fan out there, far from it... But the rule of that world is consistent all trought the serie
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    @Talvrae What can I say? If you look at those kids with little wands, making some cliché magics, and you call them sages... (The rules may be consistent but are still (a bit) stupid).
    It is a matter of opinion I wont deny that, the rest is common sense. See "Das Schwarze Auge" as an example of a alternative (to FR), imo a decent ruleset.
    Post edited by Razor on
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Planescape: Torment.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    edited September 2012
    Should have been a Twilight option *has a cry*.
    Seriously though, Baldur`s gate. Great game, great setting etc.
    Loved the Hobbit but Lotr was boring, nearly impossible to fap to. And all lotr games i have tried suck.
    Only HP stuff i`ve any experience with is Horny Harry MEMEs.
  • Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1 Member Posts: 15
    Why must we compare completely different things? >.< I like them all for different reasons.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Baldur's Gate is awesome and all.

But as far as story, atmosphere, etc ... Half-Life.

The Half-Life universe is just amazing... it's exceedingly believable and scary. The best "alien" plot I have seen by far. Yes, far over Star Wars, Star Wars fanboys. Sorry to say.

But I mean, if we're talking in just terms of what's a better game, Baldur's Gate > Half-Life. I just love BG.
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    The fact that harry potter is there side by side with the others is an insult to LOTR and Baldur's gate. I'm not even jocking, it's like comparing shit with silk.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited September 2012
    ajwz said:

I pick Baldur's gate or lord of the rings since I am not a twelve year old.

I honestly can't roll my eyes hard enough at dumbass statements like these.

As for my answer, I picked based on what was most formative for my childhood. Baldur's Gate was the first really mature game I ever played, and certainly the most immersive world an entertainment medium, whether written or digital, had ever shown me up to that point.

Harry Potter is cool because it's imaginative, humorous, and fun, with some crazy darkness and action as the series progresses and its audience grows up. Still, Rowling's post-publishing comments tend to be on the silly side, like the obvious marketing ploy of Word Of God-ing one of your characters as a homosexual knowing that will piss off ungodly numbers of people and get you free publicity.

Tolkien is just plain overrated. I know that's not what people on this forum probably want to hear, but Tolkien is good at linguistics and world-building, and that is where the buck stops. Have you READ this shit? I have, and it took all my willpower to not physically harm somebody with my Bible-sized compilation of all three books after this old fart forced me to read pages and pages describing the kind of junk Samwise piled onto his fucking horse!
    Post edited by Schneidend on
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    Umm... not sure if the gallup only contains lightweight fantasy or fiction in general. I don't want to sound like an elitist jerk but there's a lot of serious art out there...
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

Still, Rowling's post-publishing comments tend to be on the silly side, like the obvious marketing ploy of Word Of God-ing one of your characters as a homosexual knowing that will piss off ungodly numbers of people and get you free publicity.

I don't think so. Rowling waited until all the books were out before saying anything, and then only in response to someone asking about Dumbledore's love life in a Q&A session. Before that, when Half-Blood Prince was still in production and she was given a copy of the screenplay to read, she saw a past heterosexual love interest for him mentioned in some minor dialogue and gave the writer a note saying Dumbledore was gay. But that incident wasn't made public until after the famous Q&A.

In fact, Rowling said if she'd known the reaction would be so positive, she would've said it earlier, and lots of people accused her of being cowardly and holding off until the seventh book sold!

The fact that harry potter is there side by side with the others is an insult to LOTR and Baldur's gate. I'm not even jocking, it's like comparing shit with silk.

Because, as we all know, GueulEclator is a level-headed expert of all things literary, and his opinion should most certainly be heeded, if not adhered to as dogma.

• KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Books: Malazan and A Song of Ice and Fire
    Videogames: Baldur's Gate
    Kortok said:

Books: Malazan and A Song of Ice and Fire
    Videogames: Baldur's Gate

I can get behind that, only have read Game of Thrones so far of that serie, and it took me way longer than what i wanted... But i enjoyed it infinatelly more than LotR

• EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    @Schneidend, yeah I haven't read Lord of the Rings since I was a kid, tried to but it was too... dry? I still love it though, like you said with Baldur's Gate for you, Lord of the Rings was formative in my childhood years.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Quartz said:

The Half-Life universe is just amazing... it's exceedingly believable and scary. The best "alien" plot I have seen by far. Yes, far over Star Wars, Star Wars fanboys. Sorry to say.

I agree about Half-Life. It really is "The best "alien" plot I have seen by far." We will soon be able to enjoy The Black Mesa Project. Awesome! (rock)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-wfdgpCRXc

Time left http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Sorry for the off topic.
  • I have never read LOTR. I know this is blasphemy, and dont get me wrong i WANT to read it.

Ever since i watched the movie, which i found amazing, and i found out that D&D and things like fr were descended from ideas from tolkiens middle earth, i have tried my hardest to read it.

...But every time i open Fellowship i just cant get more than the first few chapters read.

On the other hand i adore the Hobbit and have read it multiple times.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    In recent years, competition from the Marvel Universe has become fierce. The Avengers (2012) has reached the top three of high grossing movies of all time.
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2012

Because, as we all know, GueulEclator is a level-headed expert of all things literary, and his opinion should most certainly be heeded, if not adhered to as dogma.

I'm just expressing my opinion like everybody... What's your problem? I never said it should be heeded or anything. Can you please stfu now?

I'm just expressing my opinion like everybody... What's your problem? I never said it should be heeded or anything. Can you please stfu now?

Fair enough.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Jalily said:

Still, Rowling's post-publishing comments tend to be on the silly side, like the obvious marketing ploy of Word Of God-ing one of your characters as a homosexual knowing that will piss off ungodly numbers of people and get you free publicity.

I don't think so. Rowling waited until all the books were out before saying anything, and then only in response to someone asking about Dumbledore's love life in a Q&A session. Before that, when Half-Blood Prince was still in production and she was given a copy of the screenplay to read, she saw a past heterosexual love interest for him mentioned in some minor dialogue and gave the writer a note saying Dumbledore was gay. But that incident wasn't made public until after the famous Q&A.

In fact, Rowling said if she'd known the reaction would be so positive, she would've said it earlier, and lots of people accused her of being cowardly and holding off until the seventh book sold!

I just don't fucking see it in the book at all. Dumbledore, asexual? Yes. Definitely see that. But specifically homosexual? Never even a hint of it.

And no, I'm not being stupid, I would be just as pissed in any other situation where an author tried to say something was absolutely fact about a character in a book and it was never even hinted at in print.
  • JRRJRR Member Posts: 21
    Lord of the Rings - the book, not the crappy movie.
    Quartz said:

And no, I'm not being stupid, I would be just as pissed in any other situation where an author tried to say something was absolutely fact about a character in a book and it was never even hinted at in print.

I think this ends up treading into some unhealthy stereotype territory where we expect those darn gay characters to prance about like flaming queens. You wouldn't need a "hint" to assume he was straight, but you need a "hint" to assume he is homosexual? Rowling may have in fact imagined Dumbledore to be gay all along, but it just never became relevant in the story. It's not like anybody hits on him in the books, or vice verse.

And, it's not so much that Rowling announced it publicly without prompt. She didn't set a date for a press conference where she planned to announce Dumbledore is into dudes. Somebody asked her a question at a Q&A and she answered, which ended up revealing the character's sexuality.