Skip to content

Bounty Hunter Turning Up in Nashkel

Never happened to me before, random bounty hunter turns up, says you have to die, says he's been sent by the authorities, lose 8!!!!! rep points when you kill him.
I thought initially I had accidently killed a passer by, so reloaded.

Actually at that point wasn't too bothered with the rep loss, I was on 17, Edwin just recruited, so was thinking I needed to lose a few anyway. Also I "accidently" let him kill Dynaheir, which solved a problem.

Just to give a bit more info so perhaps somebody can explain why and how. While recruiting Minsc, background text appearing saying the guards(?) had been notified. Rep was either 16/17 at that point. Went to Gnoll fortress, came back and was attacked.
The only thing I could possibly think of as causing it was being threatening to "Lord Binky" at the carnival, the rude snob who teases about clothes/speech, (though didn't attack him, just the text choice), apart from that not killed anyone random.
Also not tried to steal anything that causes "the guards have been alerted".
Also the FF wandering around and The Mayor ect. still think I'm the bees knees.

Very odd, I love how the game still throws up the unexpected.

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Any Mods?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    NPC project, that's all.

Didn't happen before, same area with the mod on 2 plays to that point and further.
    Never happened before since playing game from original release with all the discs.

From looking around, it doesn't seem to happen that often, haven't been able to find much info. And apparently you can pay him off but it costs 6/8,000 which before doing Nashkel and most of the map is a hell of a lot.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2015
    Could you take a picture? Never ever heard of or seen anything like that in the original game.
    meagloth
    Sorry no,
    1) wouldn't know how
    2) Stupidly I carried on playing (as I said it wasn't too bad a result), did Nashkel and a few other bits.

It was only when looking up trying to find out what caused it that realised it seemed to be quite a rare happening.

To add a bit of discription to make up for that.

The bounty hunter doesn't have a name, just "bounty hunter", he's very sarcastic, asks you to just die quietly and is slightly apologetic, the options for answering are either to try and pay him off or basically " no way, come and have a go if you think you are hard enough", but he does tell you he is from the authorities.

Oh, and he comes up to you, you can't avoid him, just after crossing the bridge after picking up Edwin.

Even worse on my part, I can't even remember if I got any exp/money, as I was slightly gobsmacked at the time at the rep drop.
    Sorry.

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    He shows up in my evil play throughs all the time.

Did you kill Dyna before or after recruiting/talking to Minsc?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Sounds like you hit a rep trap. In Nashkel they summon bounty hunters instead of guards. Not sure why he would summon when you had such high reputation (normally you need less than 4). It might be caused by a mod or by you having a lower reputation previously.
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
    deltago said:

He shows up in my evil play throughs all the time.

Did you kill Dyna before or after recruiting/talking to Minsc?

Nope, heard the background "the guards have been summoned" as I was recruiting him to go get her.

elminster said:

Sounds like you hit a rep trap. In Nashkel they summon bounty hunters instead of guards. Not sure why he would summon when you had such high reputation (normally you need less than 4). It might be caused by a mod or by you having a lower reputation previously.

Rep has been rising since game start.
    Looks like it's a bug, though why with NPC project ?

It's only because people said it was so good I installed it, never used a mod before.

edited August 2015
    Whats your class/kit? It may actually be a known issue (in unmodded games I mean). But its specific to you having a familiar.
    Post edited by elminster on
    elminster said:

Whats your class/kit? It may actually be a known issue (in unmodded games I mean). But its specific to you having a familiar.

Ranger/archer, so can't be that.

I have found a save just before returning to Nashkel, at the edge of the Gnoll fortress map. But don't know how to put it on here if anybody was interested.

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Zip up the save folder then use the 'attach a file' option to upload the zip file.
    decado said:

Zip up the save folder then use the 'attach a file' option to upload the zip file.

OK, you are going to have to break this down a bit.

Where would I find the "save folder"?

"Zip up" you what???
    I mean I get that you have to unzip files, can do that, it says "unzip file", but in reverse, this be magicks beyond human understanding.

Just pretend I'm one of the chimpanzees who, if left on a typewriter for a few million years, would end up writing Shakespeare.

edited August 2015
    My documents/baldur's gate enhanced edition/saves

In that folder should be a folder titled something like 0000000045 - (whatever title you gave the save)

If you've got winrar or winzip installed on your computer (and from the sounds of things you computer has some kind of zip file program) you should just be able to right click, scroll over "new" and then click to create a new zip or rar file. From there you can click the save folder while holding down the left mouse button (and drag the folder into that file).

The specific steps though will depend on your operating system.
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    Reporting that this is still an issue, I am currently a REP 10 party and got hit by a Bounty Hunter in Nashkel.

This is an unmodded 2.5 version of the game.