Skip to content

Are bows still going to be overpowered?

theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
BG:EE is using an engine more akin to BG2, correct? If that's the case, are bow's still going to be ridiculously awesome as they were in the original BG? I sure hope so. If not, I may have to find a different plate of cheese.

Comments

• PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    @theJoshFrost

Hey bro, you can bring "Archers" this time around.

Go Persian! 6 Archers and blot out that sun!!!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    With all the various berserker rages, Cavalier immunities, Inquisitor true sights... I can see archers having serious competition! (Truly, I solo'd the sirines on the coastline on level one with a Cavalier and a Berserker on Tutu! :O )
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    With the SCS mod installed all enemy spellcasters behave much more intelligently. And one of the chief vulnerabilities they had in the vanilla game was to missiles. It's been a long time since I played, and my memory is a bit foggy on some things, but I'm pretty sure that with SCS mages routinely cast Protection from Normal Missiles. I think priests probably regularly use Barkskin or Ironskins as well. SCSII is available for tutu and BGT. And EE will use the ToB engine. So depending on how high level the opponent is, the mages can also buff with Protection from Magical Weapons.

Anyway, for some players the awesome power of bows in the vanilla game is their cup of tea. But for those who want a greater challenge there is SCS, which author David Wallace says he will be upgrading for BG:EE (and presumably BG2:EE when that is released).

If David has SCS for EE ready to go within even a couple days of release I'll be torn about whether to install it, versus playing vanilla.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

With all the various berserker rages, Cavalier immunities, Inquisitor true sights... I can see archers having serious competition! (Truly, I solo'd the sirines on the coastline on level one with a Cavalier and a Berserker on Tutu! :O )

The sirines are easy to defeat when soloing even without immunities because they always stop attacking you once they have dire charmed you. The only problem is you have to sit round twiddling your thumbs for ages while you wait for the charm to wear off ...
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    The archers are powerful in BG1, because the walk speed is only 5.

For BGEE, *if* all creatures will have the same walk speed, there will be no problem.

Otherwise, if like in BGT/Tutu, the walk speed of our party is 10 and only 5 for the creatures... Once again the archers will be high-powered.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Kerozevok said:

For BGEE, *if* all creatures will have the same walk speed, there will be no problem.

Otherwise, if like in BGT/Tutu, the walk speed of our party is 10 and only 5 for the creatures... Once again the archers will be high-powered.

Thanks, I did not know that. I knew about weapon speed, but not that walk speed was a factor as well.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I don't think missile damage is being adjusted.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    You kidding me? With all of the equipment available to improve AC versus Missiles... c'mon. Bow users have tough enough time trying to keep distance.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152

The sirines are easy to defeat when soloing even without immunities because they always stop attacking you once they have dire charmed you. The only problem is you have to sit round twiddling your thumbs for ages while you wait for the charm to wear off ...
    Wait, doesn't charm equal instant death when you're soloing?

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Knettgummi : It does, with the BG2 engine. In BG1 you could have sit for 2 hours doing nothing, waiting for the charm spell to wear off :P

So yeah, in BGEE you'll most probably *NEED* to be immune, otherwise Soloing them will be hardish.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Kerozevok said:

There's a bit more to it as to why bows outclass melee in BG1.

- Bows give an extra attack per round. With no dual wielding/Belm/Kundane/Improved Haste it means bows give the most attacks per round.

- Thac0 bonuses from both the launcher and the ammunition.

- Arrows of Detonation, no need to say more on that one.

- In BG2 bows suffer because of certain enemies being immune to missile weapons, not having ammunition greater than +2 until ToB (although Gesen and Tansheron's can get around that), and falling behind the damage output of warriors with 10 apr and massive strength enhancing items for big damage.

Plus a few other minor situational reasons.

In short bows will be just as awesome if not more due to the Archer kit, but melee is going to be better with the addition of dual wielding and some of the melee orientated kits.

• Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    The lack of healing is the problem. Melee char needs to be healed. Ranged chars do not.

Can be clearly seen if fighting Ankhegs. Melee or ranged, makes no difference.

BG2 healing is a non issue due to Heals, regeneration items, and generally more spells available. And the wand of Resurrection/Heal is just ridiculous.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Even if you cut damage in half and reduce speeds, people will just equip boots of speed or cast haste. Kiting has no drawbacks and simply doesnt cost anything.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Magical bows, even with normal ammunition, only do Normal Damage and not Magical damage.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Goddamn it, quit trying to nerf my AD&D experience just because you feel it's too easy. >:[

I like my archers shredding things, thank you very much.
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    Kerozevok said:

I never bothered with walking speed of creatures. I tend to use command, entangle, sleep, web, hold person or similar spells a lot. And I'm too lazy to run up to the bad guys. That's the summons job. ,)
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    If I would change the balance of archery vs other types of combat then I'd rather resort to indirect measures.

1) Give the ammunition some weight
    Imagine you needed a quiver or similar container for each single stack + weight of each individual projectile.

2) Don't allow too big stacks
    You can't considerably put too much ammunition into one quiver or similar. Even if the total weight might not be that much the volume might make it difficult.

3) Use an inventory screen similar to NWN where volume and size of items were considered.

4) Those restrictions would apply to both PCs and NPCs so no one has an edge.

I remember one of the EOB (Ravenloft) style games from SSI where you had quivers and bows but had to pick up arrows after each battle. That really made a big difference. You thought twice about when to resort to archery and when not. But then that might be too limiting.
  • JnnJnn Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2013
    Maybe this is the right thread to ask this.

How do bows and their ammunition enchantments work. Say if you have non-magical bow and normal arrows then you're obviously unable to hit enemies that are immune to non-magical weapons.

Can i hit them by just getting +1 or greater arrows or do i need to upgrade my bow aswell.

normal bow and normal arrows = non-magical weapon
    +1 bow and normal arrow = ?
    normal bow and +1 arrows = ?
    +1 bow and +1 arrows = magical weapon

And in BG2 where several enemies require +3 or even +4 enchantment on your weapon to get hit, how does that work with bows. If i have a +2 bow and +2 arrows is that equal to +4 enchanted weapon?

Or if i have a +4 bow and use +1 ammunition does that reduce its enchantment?

And what about ranged weapons that need no ammo. If i add ammo to them anyway does that switch their damage to that of the ammunition or does it make them even stronger.

Edit: sorry for the necro. Didnt even notice. This thread came up when i tried to find answer through google.
    Edit2: And some archive forum! should really pay attention. Going to copy this to strategy section.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Jnn - The bow bonus and arrow bonus add (making your THAC0 better). However, for purposes of immunity, only the missile (stone/arrow/bolt/axe/dagger) matters. I think, but haven't confirmed, that the bow bonus adds damage, as well.

So, imagine if you have a +4 long bow and +3 arrows. You will get +7 on hit rolls (in addition to DEX or other (archer, for instance, or elven race on regular bows for another instance), and try to hit something requiring +4 weapons (or better) to hit. The target will be immune to your attacks, because the arrows are only +3.

To answer specific questions, a mundane bow with +1 arrows is a magical weapon

A magic bow with mundane arrows is a non-magical weapon

Hopefully I answered your questions. The bonuses of missile and bow combine, so they never downgrade or override one another.

As a side note, elemental arrow damage sometimes affects enemies that are immune to the piercing (arrow) damage. In other words, you may still be able to injure enemies with these arrows, even if they don't take damage from the arrow part. I learned this by accident with Flaming Arrows once.
  • zwadekzwadek Member Posts: 156
    and what about damage? does arrow +1 hit for 1d6 +1?