Skip to content

GOG Distribution?

Are we going to be able to buy this expansion through GOG.com? All of my games all already there.

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Although not a straight answer it looks like it will be available on GOG at some point in time:
    Dee said:

The term "DRM-free" itself is kind of a convoluted one, since there's no policing in how it's used. Beamdog doesn't typically put the term front and center; we focus on making the download/installation/update process as seamless and hassle-free as possible, and code words that are only meaningful to a relatively small subset of gamers doesn't facilitate that.

But yeah, it's pretty much DRM-free, just in a slightly different way from GOG.

Oh, something I should probably mention: Siege of Dragonspear is an expansion, not a stand-alone game. So if you bought BG:EE from GOG, you'll probably want to pick up SoD there as well, when it finds its way there.

JuliusBorisov
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited August 2015
    Why not just buy directly from Beamdog? There's no need to go through some third party site. But considering that the other Beamdog games are available through GOG, I suspect that this one will be as well.
    Dee said:

Oh, something I should probably mention: Siege of Dragonspear is an expansion, not a stand-alone game. So if you bought BG:EE from GOG, you'll probably want to pick up SoD there as well, when it finds its way there.

That's good to know. I bought BG:EE through Steam so I guess I should get the expansion through them as well.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    Dee's original quote was directly addressed to me.
    Belanos said:

Why not just buy directly from Beamdog?

Because I have already purchased the previous Enhanced Editions from GOG.com; but more importantly,
    I prefer GOG.com's definition of DRM free to Beamdog's.
    Grammarsalad
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    edited August 2015
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I didn't even know Beamdog's version had any DRM. I bought my copy first and was able to play LAN with my fiancee with her on the same account. We now have one each because Beamdog was kind enough to give us the option to play on one and not make it cripplingly difficult to play at all.
    JuliusBorisov
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    CaloNord said:

I didn't even know Beamdog's version had any DRM. I bought my copy first and was able to play LAN with my fiancee with her on the same account. We now have one each because Beamdog was kind enough to give us the option to play on one and not make it cripplingly difficult to play at all.

I remember this coming up in another thread, both Beamdog and GOG versions are "no DRM" but the two are slightly different ways of having "no DRM." If I remember correctly, GOG has a stand alone installer (.exe) that extracts and installs the files to your computer, Beamdog has a (one time use) launcher that downloads the files directly to there final location on your hard drive (no separate install step needed after downloading).

So if you want to move your game to a new computer without re-downloading anything it is different for each. In the GOG case you just need to take your .exe file to a new computer to install, in the Beamdog case you need to copy the full program folder structure to a new computer. Both are DRM free, but in different ways.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    With GOG Galaxy, GOG now offers the Beamdog-like installation.
  • iamcelestialiamcelestial Member Posts: 19
    @Dee, is Beamdog actually getting more money if I buy the game from their website, as compared to if I buy it from GOG?
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Dee said:

The short answer is yes. Any time you buy something direct from its source, the source gets more net revenue than if you buy from a retailer. I don't know exactly what the break-down is, but it's not pocket change.

That being said, if you've been using your preferred retailer for years and years and you like their service, that's not nothing. What I've said in the past on the subject is that you should buy the game from whatever vendor is best for you. Beamdog.com supports the developers directly (which is fantastic), but any time you buy one of our games is a good thing, because it means you love the content (which is also fantastic).

Best compromise: but from both :D
    AstroBryGuyJuliusBorisovAedan