Skip to content

Bug/Feature Issue: using Mages/Bards (arcane spellcasters) in ToB New Games (SPOILERS)

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
edited August 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
Problem: If a user wants to start ToB (without playing SoA, but using a character made for SoA) this generally works well for most classes - they are created/chosen from the pregen. character lists, then given XP to level them up to the correct level for ToB.

The problem occurs when a bard/wizard is used that was created in SoA - they level up on starting ToB in the same way but their number of spells in their spellbooks stay the same as their original level (take for example the pregen. character mage Daria - she will only have up to level 4 spells to choose from to fight Illasera - making the battle very difficult indeed). It is similarly bad for a mage made from scratch, as the party size is only one (the wizard/bard) when fighting Ilasera. Their spellbooks only reflect an 8-10 level character.

For users starting ToB only, the original non-EE ToB version provided specifically made pregen. characters with the correct starting level and spells where necessary (listed as TOBMAGE, TOBCLERIC etc. files), but this is not advised here, as other characters don't work like this in the current character creation procedure, and can level up as they please when the game starts. I.e. we'd still want a character we make/choose to be useable from SoA or ToB interchangably without level/spellbook conflicts or inconsistencies.

N.B. this is NOT a problem for characters created in ToB to start ToB (they have the correct spellbooks), it is only for arcane spellcasters made in SoA then used in ToB-only

In Summary: because both EE-SoA and EE-ToB use the same character creation approach (which was not the case in original SoA vs ToB), this puts ToB-only arcane spellcasters at a disadvantage because they won't have spellbook spells that reflect their ToB starting level.

Suggested solution: (minor solution) from the original non-EE ToB: this is remedied/solved by giving every newly made character (regardless of class) a selection of higher level mage scrolls to memorise/use/sell, along with some other temporary magic items (ammo, potions) in the bag of holding. This was also helpful because newly made characters had very little gold, so could sell what they didn't need when they reached Saradush.

Also (main solution) - from the original non-EE ToB: there was an option for ToB-only arcane spellcasters to choose higher level spells from a menu before starting the game (up to level 8/9 where necessary) for their spell books. This menu was similar/identical to that for a new starting character. This should be integrated as menu before ToB starts (but after the character creation menu is set, so as not to cause similar problems for the same created/pregen. characters starting SoA).

Ideally both solutions should be introduced into EE-ToB starting procedure to deal with this problem. Also, if BGEE and the forthcoming expansion Siege of Dargonspear (SoD) uses the same approach i.e. newly created characters from BGEE (e.g. Adelia, Canderous, Jade from the original BGEE lists) are interchangeable between BGEE and SoD, then they are made from a level 1 base, with limited spellbooks inappropriate for a level 8 campaign, then this feature issue will be a problem there too.

A quicker solution would be to ringfence characters made in SoA vs. ToB-only and not allow ones created for one be used in the other
Post edited by Dharius on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hi @Dharius
    Daria has ticket #11496 raised at http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/38779/11496-daria-pregen-starts-tob-with-a-minimal-selection-of-spells

I'm struggling to see the argument about generating a character in SoA then starting a new ToB game with them instead. ToB character generation means you can choose the spells you wish your character to have rather than receiving a random drop of scrolls which then has another random chance of being memorised.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Thanks Gate 70 - didn't see Daria's ticket. I think it's an issue: people get attached to the characters they create and would want to be able to use them from as many starting places as possible in the games without experience/level conflicts, without going through the hassle of creating them from scratch in an attempt to re-reproduce them (with SK or not)

I can see how using a ToB created character at a higher level, then using it in a new SoA starting-game is unrealistic - experience and skills would have to be taken off.

However, the other way (SoA created arcane-spell using characters for ToB-only games) makes sense - as it's an option for all other character classes when they level up in a ToB start, at the moment anyway. If it occurred to me it's probably occurred to a lot of others too.

If a random drop of scrolls in the bag of holding is not the best option (minor solution), then the major solution of an extra screen for arcane SoA created/pregen. characters to update their spellbooks before starting an ToB game, before levelling up in-game, is a good idea in my opinion and would solve this issue. Thanks.