Skip to content

A kit/class request: Eldritch Knight. Gimme. Gimme. Gimme. (Would pay $20 just for this as DLC)

My standing wetdream of a BG class/kit:

Make a Sorceror kit called "Eldritch Knight" (yes, *that* one) which receives:

advantages:
+1 Thac0 every 3 levels up to 20
+1/2 APR at lvl 10 and 20
+ weapon selection every 4 levels (and one extra at lvl 1)
+ ability to specialize in any melee weapon and style (for flavor, probably exclude shields)
+ hit dice: d6

disadvantages:
- can cast 1 less spell per level (like DD)
- caster level reduced by 1/4th (rounded up) to a maximum of 15 (instead of 20)
- spell progression reduced by 1/4th (e.g. you get your first 3rd level spell at lvl 8 etc.)

The idea is that you play this as a spellsword where you select mostly buffs for your spells.
Example: at end of SoA you have an 18th level Edlritch Knight (effective Sorcerer level of 14) that knows 1 lvl 7 spell, 2 lvl 6 spells, can cast stone skin 4 times a day etc.; dual wielding katanas for 3APR & thac0 of 7.

Comparable to Fighter/Mage at same XP -- but able to cast your selected buffs more consistently.

(P.S. Failing that maybe make Sorcerer multi/dual-classable? Pretty please.)

Comments

• valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    That's not particularly difficult to do as a sorcerer kit. Except maybe the caster level reduction, I'm not sure if there's an Affect for that.

Either way, if they could simply ease up on the multi class restrictions a fair bit (which I'd personally support as I find them overly arbitrary) then a fighter/sorcerer would pretty much meet your wishes too.

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    valamyr said:

That's not particularly difficult to do as a sorcerer kit. Except maybe the caster level reduction, I'm not sure if there's an Affect for that.

Either way, if they could simply ease up on the multi class restrictions a fair bit (which I'd personally support as I find them overly arbitrary) then a fighter/sorcerer would pretty much meet your wishes too.

I believe that you could use 191 for casting level reduction. It might take a bit of planning to ensure that spell slots are gained at the right levels--I see a lot of spl's in the clab--but this wouldn't be the most difficult kit to create.

Start here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34119/how-to-making-kit-mods-for-the-ee/p1

If you have questions, feel free to ask in the modding section!
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Who would play that instead of a Fighter/Mage?
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297

Exactly. Prestige classes like Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster do not belong in 2nd edition AD&D. There are multiclasses for that. If anything you should petition for dual/multi classed sorcerers. This would fit into the game better but would be extremely overpowered as you could abuse the no stats required property of sorcerers. Fighter/mages are arguably already the best class.

For people that want it anyway there are mods, but personally I hope no dev time will be spent on it and even more importantly there should be no NPCs or enemies with that class.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Aren't the multi-class configurations hard-coded? So they cannot create any new ones?
  • bron2794bron2794 Member Posts: 13
    Talking about multi class limitations can we finally get multi class RANGER/THIEF pleeeeeaaaaaaasssseeee.

Any chance we can finally get multi class ranger/thieves or any other combination like ranger/mage? That would be awesome for role playing purposes. Don't understand why they can multi or dual with clerics in the first place it just doesn't make sense (wouldn't druid make more sense?). Never seen a ranger who wanders the wilderness with a hammer. Instead of automatically giving them hide and move silently points they can just get skill points like a normal fighter/thief. I cant see this being overpowered as rangers level slower than fighters anyway and don't get weapon mastery. You guys are already making weapon swapping between dual and two handed this would be the icing on the cake. I'm sure other people have some multi class options they would like to see this is just my 2 cents. Things like barbarian/thief would be cool to, Conan unlocks the door and sneaks in to CRUSH YOU!!!
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    valamyr said:

if they could simply ease up on the multi class restrictions a fair bit (which I'd personally support as I find them overly arbitrary)

Arbitrary, how so? Are you familiar with the source material? Have you read the 2nd Edition AD&D Player's Handbook?

What I wish they would do is allow dual class combos that not only make a lot of sense thematically; but should also be allowed according to the 2e rules as written, a Paladin/Cleric and a Cleric/Paladin.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

I. WANT. A. FIGHTER. SORCERER.

Ahem. Sorry. Yes. Fighter/Mage is what I usually play, but I need a sorcerer. Ain't the same thing.

And, no, there are NO mods to multiclass a Sorcerer.

So, please, no boogerbombing a guy's dream here, please. Sheesh.

(In fact, now that I think about it: I want a Sorcerer/Paladin. Yessir, that's what I want.)
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2015
    I'm all for more kits, and yes i would pay for some sweet DLC Kits content like Ygramul wants.

Personally i would love another Paladin Kit.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Ygramul said:

I. WANT. A. FIGHTER. SORCERER.

Ahem. Sorry. Yes. Fighter/Mage is what I usually play, but I need a sorcerer. Ain't the same thing.

And, no, there are NO mods to multiclass a Sorcerer.

So, please, no boogerbombing a guy's dream here, please. Sheesh.

(In fact, now that I think about it: I want a Sorcerer/Paladin. Yessir, that's what I want.)
    The Sorcerer/Paladin is one of my favorites in IWD, both needing Charisma and stuff.
    @SionIV
    Yeah, IWD2 and NWN2 would have been lovely to play again... IF they had an SCS-like AI.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited August 2015
    CaloNord said:

Aren't the multi-class configurations hard-coded? So they cannot create any new ones?

"They" (assuming you mean Beamdog) have the complete source code, so they could change this restriction if they wanted to (eventually).

That was kinda the whole point of the EE's.. they can change stuff that modder's can't (assuming it's not restricted by the contracts). So far, they haven't done a whole lot to the game "rules" side of things, mostly cosmetic and UI related stuff.

But we can hope =D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Nah, dual-wielding just doesn't sound right for this kind of character.

Gameplay vs realism. The age old question.

My good old Kensai/Mage is very happy indeed dual wielding Katanas - legally.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Is it actually harder to create a new multiclass option than a new base class (such as Shaman), or is it equal?
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2015
    I think we are really onto something here. I absolutely would pay for Kits, either single DLC's or a collection of them, the fun of running through BG:EE, BG:SoD, BG2:EE with them is just to much fun. I always think of unique builds around kits and equipment like everyone does. :)
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    bron2794 said:

Talking about multi class limitations can we finally get multi class RANGER/THIEF pleeeeeaaaaaaasssseeee.

Any chance we can finally get multi class ranger/thieves or any other combination like ranger/mage? That would be awesome for role playing purposes.

LOL... for "role playing purposes." That's like when I was DMing my kid brother way back in the day and he wrote a badly-typoed page-and-a-half backstory for why his character should have an "energy sword." For role playing purposes!! It would add so much depth!! Paging Mary Sue!
    Don't understand why they can multi or dual with clerics in the first place it just doesn't make sense (wouldn't druid make more sense?). Never seen a ranger who wanders the wilderness with a hammer.
    The dual and multi-class options in the BG engine are hard-coded in and based on the multi-class options available to characters of the five standard non-human races in 2nd ed AD&D (Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome, Elf, Half-Elf). It's true that humans should *technically* be able to dual-class as anything (for role playing purposes), but putting D&D into a computer game engine without the heavy intervening hand of a real human DM is a dangerous enough proposition to begin with (especially since the ability score limitation on dual-classing is surpassed easily enough by players with access to console cheats [for role playing purposes]).
    Instead of automatically giving them hide and move silently points they can just get skill points like a normal fighter/thief. I cant see this being overpowered as rangers level slower than fighters anyway and don't get weapon mastery. You guys are already making weapon swapping between dual and two handed this would be the icing on the cake. I'm sure other people have some multi class options they would like to see this is just my 2 cents. Things like barbarian/thief would be cool to, Conan unlocks the door and sneaks in to CRUSH YOU!!!
    ... for role playing purposes, though.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197

The caster + simultaneous fighter par excellence is the Bladesinger, and they use single-weapon style. I even get with a 2-hand weapon like a staff, you can hold it with one hand while you cast with the other, and then once again take it in two hands to attack when you're done spellcasting. But what do you do with your 2nd katana when you need to cast a spell? Drop it on the ground, and then later pick it up again? Hold them both with one hand? What if you don't have super-big hands?

Nah, dual-wielding just doesn't sound right for this kind of character.

Now THAT is a cool idea. Instead of the dual-katana-wielding fighting Sorcerer kit (aka Otaku Munchkin Wet Dream), why not a Fighter-Mage Bladesinger kit? It could be elf-exclusive (similar to the Dwarven Defender), it has the benefit of established precedent (in 2nd ed rules at least; I'm sure there must be decent 3.5 and later translations of the kit), and there's tons of opportunity for suitable flavor gear (various Elven longswords and the Elven Chain Mail suits you get later on).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    @subtledoctor it's already been confirmed that shaman is a true new class, like sorcerer, not a dressed up kit like barbarian.

There is also a screenshot showing the shaman with "Detect Traps", or at least an ability that was using that icon. That wouldn't be possible with a druid kit.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Fardragon said:

Is it actually harder to create a new multiclass option than a new base class (such as Shaman), or is it equal?

From a programmer's viewpoint, it is slightly easier because some common functions are already done. But it is still not entirely trivial. Especially character generation/level up.
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    @CaloNord

Theyre hardcoded yes, meaning changes there require EXE changes. Something modders can't do easily/legally but that Beamdog can as they have access to the source code. But unless I look at it myself, I can't know for sure how easy it would be to do.

@ValamirCleaver "Arbitrary, how so? Are you familiar with the source material? Have you read the 2nd Edition AD&D Player's Handbook?"

Like most ppl here I grew up playing ADHD. Hell you made me pull my old 2nd edition books off the shelf for fun :p They've yellowed a bit but still perfectly good.

I meant arbitrary in the sense that if a fighter/mage is a valid combo, I see little reason why fighter/sorcerer shouldn't be. I loved 2nd edition but ultimately I'm more of a 3rd edition player (3.5 pathfinder being my favorite) as I never saw the point of restricting classes to races or multiclass combos. Of course, IE games are 2e games and I like them that way, but easing up on restrictions that do not inherently create balance issues doesn't seem wrong to me. And I guess I've played these games so many times that the variety some looser rules on acceptable class combos would create some much welcome variety.

Beamdog could probably open up more combos - and use the ini file to let players determine whether they want the extra options or not.
    valamyr said:

I meant arbitrary in the sense that if a fighter/mage is a valid combo, I see little reason why fighter/sorcerer shouldn't be.

Exactly. This. Thank you.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    At what point do we run into the contractual issues? Aren't they ONLY allowed to work on it as a 2e game?
    New class combos could be pushing it outside the scope of that contract?
    Like most people here I'm not entirely clued up as to what the contract limitations are in regards to what there legally allowed to change.

And the age old argument as to whats valid and whats overpowered could go on for forever.

What I do know is it's mainly a single player game and you should be able to make your character more or less the way you want to, that's why I really liked NWN 1 and 2. I understand there totally different rule sets but surely there's some way of overcoming the hard coded limitations of a really old game.

If I'm overreaching here please excuse my ignorance. I'm by no means a lawyer or a computer technician and don't pretend to understand the amount of work that goes into making these changes. I'm just an old fan who wouldn't mind seeing a few changes (and paying for them) to a cool old game I use to play when I was a kid.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Even if they can't officially add class combos, they could open up the combos to modding so that we could add them ourselves, in the same way we can remove the XP Cap, add progression tables to level 40+, allow FMT's to reach full 9th level casting and so forth.

It's a fair call to say that the "core" game should be restricted as closely as possible to the official 2E rules, but I don't see that as a reason why the game engine itself can't be expanded to allow whatever players want via mods. Consider it "house rules".
    So seeing as there's been no comments for a while I guess it's safe to say there's going to be no new multi-class combos then. That's a shame, was really looking forward to some.

bron2794 said:

Any chance we can finally get multi class ranger/thieves or any other combination like ranger/mage? That would be awesome for role playing purposes.

Sixheadeddog said:
    LOL... for "role playing purposes." That's like when I was DMing my kid brother way back in the day and he wrote a badly-typoed page-and-a-half backstory for why his character should have an "energy sword." For role playing purposes!! It would add so much depth!! Paging Mary Sue!

Well guess you weren't a big fan of the idea seeing as you stated how dumb it sounds, never did actual pen and paper D&D (not very popular here) but was able to make a thief/ranger in NWN and D&D online (awesome characters to play). As for role play Conan was a Barbarian/Thief. In Game of thrones all the thieves and criminals get sent to the wall to become rangers, learning how to fight, hunt and track wildlings. Well i guess everyone's entitled to an opinion, just didn't realize some people were gonna be so negative about possible change.