Skip to content

Question about Steam Purchases

Does Overhaul benefit the same amount from Steam purchases, or does Steam take a fat cut? I'm recommending some friends get Baldur's Gate but not sure if buying directly from Beamdog actually effects their profits. I know they give Steam keys if you've purchased it through Beamdog anyway but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2015
    Of course, if you buy from Beamdog, you give all the sum directly to Beamdog. If you buy from Steam, you give money to Steam, a part of which then is transferred to Beamdog.

So, no, Beamdog doesn't benefit the same amount from Steam purchase.

We have a confirmation from Dee:

"Steam also takes a commission on any sales made through that client, which means we see less of that revenue.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/67982/#Comment_67982

So, tell your friends to get a game directly from Beamdog.

BTW, it will ensure that they'll get patches as quickly as possible.
    EnterHaerDalis
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    bengoshi said:

Of course, if you buy from Beamdog, you give all the sum directly to Beamdog. If you buy from Steam, you give money to Steam, a part of which then is transferred to Beamdog.

So, no, Beamdog doesn't benefit the same amount from Steam purchase.

We have a confirmation from Dee:

"Steam also takes a commission on any sales made through that client, which means we see less of that revenue.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/67982/#Comment_67982

So, tell your friends to get a game directly from Beamdog.

BTW, it will ensure that they'll get patches as quickly as possible.

Yeah I figured that. Any idea if Beamdog matches the Steam prices, often it goes on sale.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Beamdog also make sales from time to time. For example, on Father's Day there was a big sale on beamdog.com. You should check the forums for these things.
    EnterHaerDalis
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Steam got the patches first last time iirc :P