Skip to content

Drizzt´s scimitar +3 Frostbrand

EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
edited September 2012 in Fixed
This scimitar +3 Frostbrand have special power but missing item description.

Frostbrand gives +50 % fire resistance ( i was notice this by accident when i was looking on my character resistance list ). So we actually get that resistance but we don´t about it until we look on resistance list.

That we have:

Damage: 1D8 + 3
THACO: +3 bonus
Damage type: Slashing

That we need:

Damage: 1D8 + 3
THACO: +3 bonus
Special: 50% fire resistance
Damage type: Slashing

Post edited by Bhryaen on
AndreaColombosandmanCCLRerel

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited September 2012
    Bookmarked, and duly noted. The description will reflect this ability in BG:EE.

EDIT: fixed.
    Brude
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I find it ironic that a weapon called 'Frostbrand' gives you fire resistance.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Tanthalas said:

The scimitar should be called Icingdeath anyway.

True, and should also have + 1 - 6 frost damage...

Icingdeath si very strong and OP weapon, maybe that why we have Frostbrand instead of Icingdeath.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    edited September 2012
    Ward said:

I find it ironic that a weapon called 'Frostbrand' gives you fire resistance.

How so? I would imagine a sword twinkling with the power of ice would protect you from the opposing element.

also @Edvin I honestly had no idea it did that! That's a pretty awesome bonus. Awesome find, mate.
    EdvinAvenger_teambg
  • RyknRykn Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2012
    Edvin said:

Tanthalas said:

The scimitar should be called Icingdeath anyway.

True, and should also have + 1 - 6 frost damage...

Icingdeath is very strong and OP weapon, maybe that why we have Frostbrand instead of Icingdeath.
    Actually if we are being true to the lore then as well as the fire resistance it should give some sort of level drain and extra frost damage against beings of fire. Demons, fire elementals, etc.

Well if we were REALLY true to the lore it would be insta-kill against beings of fire and a 100% resistance to fire. So yeah. :/

Hey is the sword really called Icingdeath? I thought Drizzt never gave it a name... they always refer to it as his OTHER Scimitar or the sword he GOT from Icingdeath in the books. I just don't remember any time it was given a name, maybe I'll reread the novels. Actually I will, that sounds like a fine distraction while I wait for BG:EE.
    The scimitar is called Icingdeath now :D
    sandmanCCLEdvinSilyARKdeEREH
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    I do not think its named that, its a +3 Frostbrand 'found' in the lair of the white dragon Icingdeath (which was the barbarian name for Ingeloakastimizilian). His +5 Defender on the other hand is actually called Twinkle (one of a kind unlike Frostbrand), I'm going by source books not the novels and such one of the 2nd edition books lists the +3 Frostbrand (it changes name with other editions) so i personally don't think it should be renamed.
    @AndreaColombo for president.

I'ma write your name on a write in vote, k?

The scimitar is called Icingdeath now :D

Great work !
    And +5 Defender ( which is also +3 and not +5 ) will be called Twinkle ?

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited September 2012
    Demoss said:

I do not think its named that, its a +3 Frostbrand 'found' in the lair of the white dragon Icingdeath (which was the barbarian name for Ingeloakastimizilian). His +5 Defender on the other hand is actually called Twinkle (one of a kind unlike Frostbrand), I'm going by source books not the novels and such one of the 2nd edition books lists the +3 Frostbrand (it changes name with other editions) so i personally don't think it should be renamed.

I'm pretty sure the more recent novels refer to the sword as Icingdeath.

EDIT: But its possible that at the time the game takes place Drizzt hadn't named it Icingdeath yet.
    ARKdeEREH
    Edvin said:

And +5 Defender ( which is also +3 and not +5 ) will be called Twinkle ?

Yes.

I think they called it a +5 sword because it's a +3 item that also grants a +2 bonus to Armor Class.

I think they called it a +5 sword because it's a +3 item that also grants a +2 bonus to Armor Class.

Having +5 weapon is little to much even on Drizzt.
    +5 is nearly demigod weapon.

We can find another scimitar with AC bonus ( Yamato +4, +1AC ) and it is not scimitar +5.

ALL PLUS WEAPONS ( except that fake " +5 scimitar " ) have their + number according to their plus to damage and THACO.

Hmm, but we can bypass all that issues.

If we named that swords only " Twinkle " and " Icingdeath " ( named weapons don´t have plus bonus in name anyway ) without any + in their name, everyone will be happy.
    Quartz
    Defender is +5 in 2nd, think they changed it to +2 in 3.5 and seeing as this game is 2nd, don't touch it. lol
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    It's just possible- I don't know and don't want to put a damper on it- that the original devs didn't choose the name "Icingdeath" and "Twinkle" for copyright reasons- like maybe they had a contract that allowed them to create a Drizzt and give him twin scimitars, but no further. Just a consideration- may be simple worry
    @Bhryaen

The name Twinkle is actually mentioned in the description for the Defender scimitar. As for Icingdeath, I actually think that back then the scimitar still didn't have a name.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @Tanthalas
    Ah, OK... Likely needless worry on my part then...
    If I recall correctly, the way "defender" worked in AD&D as a weapon property, you could change the +hit/damage of your weapon enchantment to +AC at whim. You could use Drizzt's scimitar as a raw +5 damage weapon that granted no AC bonus, or a +5 AC bonus weapon that for all other purposes was just a regular scimitar. They didn't include the option to morph the bonuses around on the weapon so it's a +5 Defender weapon where 2 of it's magic enchantment points were morphed into AC bonus.

Maybe those were just house rules. Don't have AD&D books to go read up on it.
    RomulanPaladin
  • KasonKason Member Posts: 30
    According to FR wiki, in 2nd ed it was still called Frostbrand, so if BG is 2nd ed it name should stay that way.

Take a look:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Icingdeath
    Kason said:

According to FR wiki, in 2nd ed it was still called Frostbrand, so if BG is 2nd ed it name should stay that way.

Take a look:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Icingdeath

That is because Drizzt start using name Icingdeath after 2nd ed.
    It was nameless scimitar, until he think up name Icingdeath.

Frostbrand is nonsense because Robert Anthony Salvatore was NEVER use this name.
    Swashbuckler
    2nd Edition predates any of R.A. Salvatores novels.. (Certainly the Drizzt related ones)
    Demoss said:

2nd Edition predates any of R.A. Salvatores novels.. (Certainly the Drizzt related ones)

So ?
    Oh sorry for some reason i thought you meant he did use the name. Oops.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    Kids don't argue about fictional time streams. I was reading the FR wikia to read about various NPCs and it told me that the books are canon and the game isn't.

If those supposedly horrible, aweful books (of which I haven't read) are canon, then why argue about what's canon.

I prefer Frostbrand because I think Icingdeath is a stoopiid name. My two cents.

EDIT: I thought the point of FR was to entice your imagination, not to compare other's imagination. Just because X person wrote a book where he named that sword Icingdeath, that doesn't mean it HAS to be called that really.

Just use the FR as a base, build up from there, don't take advice from writers on how to enjoy the game.
    edited September 2012
    Frostbrand is a generic name that refers to the kind of sword; there are several Frostbrand swords scattered across the FR, but only of them is Drizzt's.

I reckon Drizzt (or better R. A. Salvatore) started calling it Icingdeath only after 3rd Ed. D&D was released. Some will argue for adherence to AD&D, where the sword had no proper name apart from "Frostbrand"; others prefer the name "Icingdeath". I believe this is pretty easy to change even for users, but even if it wasn't: Changing the name to "Icingdeath" in the game was a decision made with @Dave, and you don't really wanna contradict him, do you? Trust me: you don't :D

EDIT: Also, "Twinkle" is a pretty stupid name too.
  • RedcoatRedcoat Member Posts: 31
    Well, R.A. Salvatore is pretty terrible at coming up with names...

"You deserve the wrath of Pook!" I mean, seriously? Pook?

Or "Matron Malice?"

Or "Artemis Entreri?" (Someone ought to tell him that Artemis is a feminine name)
  • TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2012
    Redcoat said:

Or "Artemis Entreri?" (Someone ought to tell him that Artemis is a feminine name)

It isn't acutally. In Russia it's a wide spreaded name for males - Artem. The female form, Artem-eede(a), though, very uncommon.

P.S. Frostbrand is good as it is.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Icingdeath and Twinkle are what they're most widely known as, and I think the weapons should be named what they're most likely to be recognized as. Sure, the names can very easily be perceived as silly, but that's what the character named them, so that's what I think they should be called in-game.

I will grant that Drizzt potentially hadn't named them yet at that point in the story, but I'd like to just kind of ignore that for two reasons: because timeline discussions often take up a great deal of time and amount to nothing productive and because Icingdeath and Twinkle are what the swords are most commonly known as because they are unique names given to the swords by Drizzt (or Salvatore) himself.

Besides, Drizzt is a very difficult encounter for most players, and it's nice to get the unique named items for beating someone who is, for all intents and purposes, a celebrity hero.
    EdvinKyzarin
    @Kithrixx

Actually, Twinkle's name has been there since the scimitar was first given to Drizzt by one of the Harpells. Its only Icingdeath that came later.
    Edvin
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Huh. My bad. Either way, that's what they're most widely known as, soooo... my opinion is that's what they should be called in-game for the sake of recognition.