Skip to content

Shaman Stronghold in Baldur's Gate 2

MaciejSMaciejS Member Posts: 28
Soo...should/will Shaman receive, possibly in a different DLC/Expansion, a stronghold of his own? Right now none of the existing ones really fit, and I'm really tired of dumping everyone to the D'Arnise Keep.

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    The Shaman has been confirmed as receiving the Druid stronghold. I find it very unlikely they will release any DLC regarding this.
  • MaciejSMaciejS Member Posts: 28
    The Druid stronghold...but druids and shaman have nothing in common, don't they?
    The confirmation I thought of seems to be sourced to this post by @Avenger_teambg. It doesn't sound like a super certainty, but not unlikely either.

As for what they have in common (besides that the shaman as implemented appears to be mechanically based on the Druid class): Both are animistic-ish pseudo-clerics, and the shaman class seems to be inspired by the Spirit Shaman class from 3.5 Ed, which was basically a spontaneous caster Druid (the same way a Sorcerer is a spontaneously casting Wizard, and a Favoured Soul is a spontaneous caster Cleric).
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    MaciejS said:

The Druid stronghold...but druids and shaman have nothing in common, don't they?

Nothing but most of their spells and item usabilies. A totemic druid is pretty close to a shaman.
  • MaciejSMaciejS Member Posts: 28
    But Druids drive their power from nature deities, while Shaman from spirits...those are completely different entities. The Hagspawn fellow in "Mask of the Betrayer" even actively hated gods, as far as I remember, which didn't affect his abilities at all.

And using your logic, Bards and Mages are also basically the same. :)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Heh, nature deities are just spirits with delusions of grandeur.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    How about this as an answer

There are no announced plans to add additional strongholds to Baldur's Gate 2. The Shaman can suffer the same fate as Barbarian, Monk, Blackguard, and Sorceress and be lumped into the closest basic stronghold currently available.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I'm curious where Monks are lumped, though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I'm curious where Monks are lumped, though.

D'Arnise Keep
    Fightan men
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I think it comes down to it being a matter of they just can't do it. Would be cool to see a separate stronghold for Shaman and Monks and any other class etc that feels left out, but for whatever reason (contract, time/resources and so on) it's just not on the table.

Speaking of strongholds. What did end up being the option for the Blackguard? I haven't got through BG2 with a Blackguard yet.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    RedGuard said:

Speaking of strongholds. What did end up being the option for the Blackguard? I haven't got through BG2 with a Blackguard yet.

D'Arnise Keep
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Thought as much. Thanks @Kamigoroshi
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    in SoA i would only like some text in the game how shamans are different from druids and maybe about their shared history and past relations, conflicts, disagreements or otherwise...a single book on the topic would probably be ideal. plus a single reaction from a druid.
    or really just any sort of fluff to address the relative strangeness of shamans (monks used to sorta stick out but with rasaad-specific content they no longer do)
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    If BG2EE would get a new expansion, new strongholds for classes currently without their own would be a great selling point.