Skip to content

Full run with SCS

This is the first time I've competed a run with SCS installed.

Some of the changes were pretty profound, like making druids shapechange viable. I actually glanced over that feature while playing, and happened upon it's existence when looking at Jaheira's innate skills. What a delightful discovery.

Goes without saying that a lot of the battles were quite refreshing. The AI in general was refreshing, keeping you on your toes with your mages, make sure they are out of range of arrow shots, as the AI loves to pick on low hp/high AC.

What were some of your most memorable experiences in regards to some of the revised battles in SCS?

I found a lot of them not too challenging. Ironically the most challenging revision was "the four" at the beginning of Durlag's. This encounter caused me the most reloads out of the whole run—about 8. Pride with his/it's MR gave me some real problems.

Werewolf island was pretty easy, as was Demon Knight, chess game and Aec'Letec.

The final battle gave me pause for a fight. A really sloppy first fight, then I used my brain and had a flawless second fight. This was done by having Khalid run around in circles baiting Tazok and Sarevok while the rest of the group pelted down each enemy-then-skeleton one by one.

Overall great game.

I'm dong my first ever BG2 with SCS and I'm a little scared after reading some of the options prompted with the SCS install, hehe.

If I stick with this run all the way through BG2 and ToB, it will also be the first time I've ever completed ToB. Which will mean I'll never have experienced a vanilla ToB run.

Comments

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Davaeorn was quite memorable during my first scs bg run, the battle horrors were so hard to kill and I didn't expect the guards coming from behind.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    The Shadow Druids can be incredibly tough, in fact, I felt like they were the most dramatic change. They pre-buff with Armor of Faith and Iron Skins, so they're tough to hit, and they will invariably try to get off an insect plague or two at the start of the battle which is a nightmare. Very fun trying to bring them down. I used to reload whenever I lost a party member, but with SCS, I find myself just accepting that death is part of life whilst I drag their dead body to the temple.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    I agree that the bandit camp fight was one of the moments that really had me rethink the way I play the game. Also, the final battle in the cloakwood mines gave me fits as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Well I can completely understand it. It pretty much made shapechange viable again. And if I understand correctly, it's inline with how PnP druids work, though I've never played D&D PnP before, so correct me if I'm wrong.

It's really helped Jaheira off tank until I get Mazzy in my group. Plus the ironskins... She's freakin good.

Before the SCS change, I used shapechange pretty much, never. It was always a bad idea to use it. Useless skill. And I don't like useless skills.
  • JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    Bandit camp was the hardest part for me, even the bosses in the main tent were called out to fight at the same time with everyone else. I died so many times there, it was almost frustrating.

Seconded by the Sarevok battle, normally I just attack Sarevok and kill him and be done with it but he was invincible in SCS until I dealt with his cronies.

Very enjoyable playthrough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @subtledoctor

The tweak about the shapechange in the SCS mod affects both the player and enemy druids, thus making them a lot more powerful.

For example, this component makes druids in the Cloakwood forest in BG1 such dangerous foes so that if you don't know what to expect, you'll likely lose.

As for the tweak itself, I can say, basing my view on my current solo totemic druid run, that using "paws" is cool and, probably, makes the shapechange process easier. My druid is in ToB and often uses his Greater Elemental forms to deal with bosses. A "paw" (in this case, "the hand of an elemental") offers me a possibility to swap spellcasting for a brutal melee force and vice versa. But I have nothing against this "easier" thing because the SCS ToB is brutal for a druid and this is a nice trade-off.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I think it's:

1) an unlimited number of times when the druid can shapechange between rests (i.e. in one fight). For example, cast Fire Storm - become a Fire Elemental - cast Fire Storm again - become a Fire Elemental and so on and on.
    2) no chance to be interrupted while shapechanging
    3) a momentary effect
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260

@FinaLfront @bengoshi Out of curiosity, is it ultimately a question of infinite/at-will use being preferable to 1x/day (or 2x/day or 5x/day) use? I ask with an interior motive: I have a mod that aims to make druid shapechange viable, and I'd like to fine-tune it and improve it as much as possible.

I feel strongly that shapechanges should be an innate ability, bound by the six-second clock like any other ability or spell - not a "paw." But that's fine, because I can make at-will innate abilities. So if people think that's necessary or better, I'd love to know.

EDIT - poop, maybe I should have separated this question off as a new thread. Sorry!

Well, it's my thread and I'd be happy to diverge into a discussion about shapechange :smiley:

For me, the unlimited changes are nice, but in the old shapechange didn't you used to default to some crappy natural AC? To me that's the real winner.

I'm not sure, but I think the paw thing is the only way to make the change instant and beat round timers. Which we really need a D&D lawyer in here, because I think that is how it works in PnP. A druid can change at will, with just a thought. So you can be in the middle of a spell cast, then change into a bird and fly away.

I agree that the paw method isn't perfect. I'd like there to be the same cool swirly animation when you change out, but there's nothing. That to me makes it feel more hackish than anything.