Skip to content

How Obsessive-Compulsive Are You When You Play BG or IWD?

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Do you....

- Pick up every piece of junk on things you kill, even things like daggers that sell for 1 gold?

- Write biographies for each of your characters in IWD?

- Have your mages scribe spells in a certain order in their spell book when possible? (Group by color or function)

- Ever try to get certain Journal Entries in a certain order?

If you answer yes to any of the above then you, like me, probably need to be in a case study somewhere lol.

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I always wite bios and I arrange stuff in my inventory by colour, I always use a different character for different hoarding (Viconia is gems ;)).
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Ha yeah - arranging things like gems by size/color, that's another good one
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited September 2012
    1. Yes thats why I cheat in a bottomless bag of holding at the beginning of the game
    2. No not that anal.
    3. I try to order it by function when possible
    4. Never thought of that
    5. yeah probably.

Also go OCD when making sure no fog of war is left on the map...I want it all visible.
  • serabietserabiet Member Posts: 52
    Pretty much all of the above, and the same thing @Ward does. Sigh. Also, all the side quests and walking the party systematically through an area so the whole map is revealed.
  • CuanCuan Member Posts: 38
    I always have to explore the entire area. Hate leaving any black unexplored areas. I also tend to have each character hold certain items.
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    Definitely every party member is dedicated to certain types of items: weapons, scrolls, potions, sellable items, quest junk.

Often times I make everyone in the group wear the same colors.

I do loot EVERYTHING. if it can be sold, i will sell it. 1GP is definitely worth it.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    serabiet said:

Also, all the side quests and walking the party systematically through an area so the whole map is revealed.

LOL - Yeah that's a good one. The full map reveal, even tho we all know we'll get a Claravoiance spell later! Smh.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    No, I don't do any of this, especially that with spell colors. I do what @serabiet said(Also, all the side quests and walking the party systematically through an area so the whole map is revealed.) sometimes.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    The only one of these I do are the character bios. I make bios for characters I play in any RPG. Characters in my mind must have a reason for being where they are (often games just plop you into a setting) so why are they there? And what are the characters motivations?
    One rationale for hoarding everything not nailed down is ... you never know what item may be related to an easteregg....pantaloons anyone? Yes I pick up everything and sell the useless junk but hang onto anything that might be of use or value later.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    I wouldn't call this a symptom of OCD, but I had a certain 'standardisation' concerning party formation icons. I always had the follow-the-leader-one-by-one formation first.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727

Do you....

- Pick up every piece of junk on things you kill, even things like daggers that sell for 1 gold?

Nope, I need to manage my inventory perfectly. Whatever is not worth it simply goes. Bloodstone gems, aka "Poopstone gems" stay though.

- Write biographies for each of your characters in IWD?
    Absolutely, same for BG actually. But in IWD I have more freedom to let my imagination go wild and that's what I love about IWD - your characters have different backgrounds.

- Have your mages scribe spells in a certain order in their spell book when possible? (Group by color or function)
    By Color with Bards in BG1. In BG2 it doesn't matter, the game sorts them out by alphabetical order. Although I will keep only the spells I use, the ones that are useless get erased.

- Ever try to get certain Journal Entries in a certain order?
    I hardly check the journal in the entire game, so nope :P

If you answer yes to any of the above then you, like me, probably need to be in a case study somewhere lol.
    I know right? But hey, everyone has their own orders and things. Inventory is not a big deal in BG, but you wouldn't like to see my OCD when it comes to inventories in games like Minecraft O_O
  • RedcoatRedcoat Member Posts: 31
    Here are the basic "rules" I always impose on myself when playing:

- Write all character biographies. Spend several minutes checking it to make sure there are no spelling or grammatical errors.
    - Use Skyrim to create a character for use as a BG portrait (pretty much the ONLY thing Skyrim is good for). Spend hours making the character look as good as possible.
    - Use Shadowkeeper to assign attributes. Do not allow myself to create attribute total higher than 92 or 94, except with Paladins, or if I'm planning to dual-class a fighter to to druid.
    - Once playing, talk to EVERYONE, including those green-robed monks of Candlekeep that say things I already know.
    - Explore every inch of every map. Not one pixel of fog of war should remain if possible.
    - If a party member dies, reload. I never, ever bother getting them resurrected. This doesn't apply if I have a Rod of Ressurection or Raise Dead spell on hand.
    - ALWAYS KILL DRIZZT - No exceptions.
    - Loot everything, with the exception of non-magical weapons and armour that aren't worth much. If it cannot be carried, stash it somewhere and come back later.

I've honestly never heard of things like scribing spells in a certain order or ordering my inventory.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Walk about to reveal the whole map and loot everything in sight, I hated the journal so i hardly use it and i don`t think i`ve ever written a bio in any game.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    My only serious compulsion is to redo a battle if I feel like it wasn't won elegantly or convincingly enough. Anyone else does that?
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    I take everything, explore everywhere...
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Cuan said:

I always have to explore the entire area. Hate leaving any black unexplored areas. I also tend to have each character hold certain items.

Same for me, not only in Baldur's gate but in ANY game with exploration (Age Of Empires, Sacred...) I have to explore EVERYTHING :). I actually use the cleric spell (I don't remember the name of the spell, maybe Far Sight?) for the parts of the area that I can't reach, just because it bugs me when there are unexplored parts.

And I also loot everything I can carry, even though it could be metagaming at the beginning of SoA

• sharpiejassharpiejas Member Posts: 35
    i have to explore everything on the map, open every chest and talk to every person. I would hate to have missed something out
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    There is a third level mage spell that reveals the entire map as long as it's an sky-map (a map where there is night/day cycle basically), Clairvoyance. Helps a great deal exploring 100% of Baldur's Gate or maps like Candelkeep and other coastal areas. Effectively used on the Gnoll Stronghold- rest in awe! :D
  • merc1136merc1136 Member Posts: 12
    I hate sleeping. I will run my party ragged until they are out of every spell and healing potion before I'll let them sleep. No real reason for this... but when I think of time spent playing BG, I definitely hear the NPC's voices complaining about being tired... oh, and reload saves for low HP rolls on level up.... hard to do the 1st without the 2nd. ;-)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Haha, I see we have some seriously anal players here.. now I don't feel so alone. My sins:

- After speaking to plot-foreshadowing NPCs in BG1, such as Portalbendarwinden, Arkushule, Pallonia etc, I write diary-style journal entries about what they said and how it worries my character increasingly.

- If my party has been awake for some 16-20 hours I generally try to sleep unless it just totally isn't a good time for it. I never rest prematurely (less than 12-16 hours since last rest) to restore spells unless it's an extreme emergency and there's just no other way.

- If I need to travel to a destination more than ~20 hours away, I first travel to somewhere closer, sleep there, and then keep going.

- Definitely guilty of exploring all the maps, opening all containers and talking to every NPC.
    I don't like the Clairvoyance spell, if you use it in the overland regions you don't know where you have or have not explored. The only time Id use it is after I had already uncovered everything it was possible to uncover, and use it to remove the rest.
  • serabietserabiet Member Posts: 52
    @immagikman great, so I'm not the only one who uses it like that :D
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Yeah, that's how I use it as well, otherwise it's more of a hindrance.
    edited September 2012
    lol Well @serabiet and @Shin I now know Im not alone ;-)

Edit: My own personal "Crazy" level mandates that I do this...its not an option...I MUST do it :D
  • GrandeCGrandeC Member Posts: 26
    I don't pick up any items unless they're magical, or in the short-term for severely under-equipped characters like Branwen after de-stoning her. I only pick up gold, hardly ever jewelry or gems unless they're worth a good stack of gold when I sell them. I don't ever check useless things like barrels, crates, or bags. Frequently I won't even bother to loot hobgoblins, gnolls, or anything else of the like.

Some things I have in common with the anal-retentive crew among us: I do tend to have one NPC carry all similar items, gems, scrolls, potions, or wands. I make every effort to not sleep more often than every ~20 hours.
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2012
    I think I use "Quicksave" more than I actually need to. Like every ten seconds, even in towns... You never know what kind of traps you can step on when you don't have 'detect traps' activated or meet someone who wishes to pick you for a fight.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    The best way to compare my style of gaming in Baldur's Gate is probably no lube anal.

Yeah. THAT anal.

Wait ... what?
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Try every dialogue option...
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    We all hate fog of war.