Skip to content

Solution to hostile reactions between certain NPCs (e.g. Edwin + Minsc etc.)

ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
My particular question is, if I have both Minsc and Edwin in my party (talking about BG1), will they eventually try to kill each other? If yes, is there a workaround? I've never had them together but I think I'd like to try this time...

Even if this is possible, there is still an issue with Dynaheir, since one of them wants to save while the other wants to kill her. So how do I make this work? What is the most convenient way to make this happen? - I don't plan on keeping Dynaheir in my party, so I don't mind if I have to waste her -

p.s.: Does Viconia have a similar problem with any of the NPCs that I need to be aware of?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I would not like to use mods to achieve this.

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Broadly speaking, it's possible to have Edwin, Dynaheir and Minsc in your party for a while, but you're quite correct in assuming that things will get messy fast. What you'd need to do is recruit Minsc first, rescue Dynaheir and only then pick up Edwin; he'll agree to go along with you to keep an eye on the witch. Eventually they will turn on each other, though, and there's no real way around that - it's perhaps the most explosive combination in the game. :)

Viconia will be targeted by Ajantis and Kivan, though with the latter it almost never escalates to violence.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Feed Edwin to a bear. No more problem.
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    @shawne I'd like to have only Minsc and Edwin in my party from those three. So let's say I pick up Minsc, then rescue Dynaheir and finally pick up Edwin. When I have all three of them in my party, what happens if Dynaheir dies in a battle? I believe Minsc would stay in the party, and since Edwin wanted to kill her anyway, now that she is dead, he should stay as well. The question is, would Minsc and Edwin kill each other, when Dynaheir is dead already?

As far as Viconia is concerned, it's good news, because I don't have any plans to include Ajantis or Kivan this time.

Oh and thanks for the comments shawne!
    edited September 2012
    @Jolanthus Edwin is way too hilarious not to have a place for him in my party, so I'm afraid the bears have to settle for some Dynaheir meat...
    Post edited by Scofield on
    @Scofield: If I recall correctly, the dialogue that triggers the fight is Dynaheir's, not Minsc's. So it may be possible. Just be very careful when getting rid of Dynaheir, as there's a chance Minsc will go berserk and attack anyone in sight if she dies during combat...
    @shawne All right, I keep that in mind. I'm glad that I may have a chance to pull this off after all.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I for one like the fact that there are certain combinations that will always result in a murderous rampage no matter how diplomatic/charismatic/metagaming you are. It really showcases the fact that CHARNAME's quest isn't the most important thing to some of them, and their pet peeves will eventually bubble over.

Not everyone can share a happy ending, especially if the happy ending for some (Tiax) would be a sad ending for others (anyone other than Tiax).
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Scofield

Honestly I hear Viconia/Kivan is one of the funnier/more illuminating combinations you can run. Although I think for the full effect it's Kivan/Xan/Viconia (maybe Coran too I haven't looked that much into it). They're always bickering with each other but from what I've read its virtually impossible for them to come to blows.

I think Ajantis will try to chunk most of your evil party members though.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I believe that, in BG1, the party leader's Charisma score will prevent most antagonistic inter-party relationships from boiling over. BG2 threw this out the window because Bioware apparently hates the Charisma stat. They even give you an easily acquired ring that provides 18 set Charisma just to prove to you how little it matters in BG2.
  • CheOffshoreCheOffshore Member Posts: 27

I believe that, in BG1, the party leader's Charisma score will prevent most antagonistic inter-party relationships from boiling over. BG2 threw this out the window because Bioware apparently hates the Charisma stat. They even give you an easily acquired ring that provides 18 set Charisma just to prove to you how little it matters in BG2.

;) which in my current playthough is firmly fixed to Viconia's finger, due to an overuse of the rod of terror without reading the risks properly in the inventory description (wondering why she kept dying mid fight without being hit) so don't start hatin' on that ring! its the only thing keeping her alive XD
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I didn't knew BG characters were able to explode in violence, as i always keep there aligned specific parties with only some few changes.

In BG2 the unstable party members are:

Edwin X Minsc
    Edwin X Keldorn
    Viconia X Keldorn
    Anomen (CN) X Aerie

Korgan X Main Char (if in one specific korgan banters you make joke of him and challenge him after he try to intimidate you).
    Jaheira X Main char (with less than 7 reputation points if you remove her from the party and try to get her back at the dock district).

Valygar and Edwin should be at odds too, but i never get a problem from them when both where in the same party.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Scofield said:

My particular question is, if I have both Minsc and Edwin in my party (talking about BG1), will they eventually try to kill each other? If yes, is there a workaround? I've never had them together but I think I'd like to try this time...

Even if this is possible, there is still an issue with Dynaheir, since one of them wants to save while the other wants to kill her. So how do I make this work? What is the most convenient way to make this happen? - I don't plan on keeping Dynaheir in my party, so I don't mind if I have to waste her -

p.s.: Does Viconia have a similar problem with any of the NPCs that I need to be aware of?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I would not like to use mods to achieve this.

You can always get rid of Dyanheir without feeding her to a bear by sending her into a house alone and then removing her from the party. Because she won't be able to talk to your main character it won't trigger the dialogue that causes Minsc to leave.
    A better solution is to weigh her down with excess equipment so she can't move - if she can't approach you for the goodbye dialogue, she can't take Minsc with her. :)
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672

@Scofield

Honestly I hear Viconia/Kivan is one of the funnier/more illuminating combinations you can run. Although I think for the full effect it's Kivan/Xan/Viconia (maybe Coran too I haven't looked that much into it). They're always bickering with each other but from what I've read its virtually impossible for them to come to blows.

I think Ajantis will try to chunk most of your evil party members though.

I think I might try having a go with this party. lol
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I always enjoyed the task of keeping a party together with incompatible alignments but if Minsk blew his top, chunks flew.
  • sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    Wasn't there a conflict eventually between Monty/Xzar and Jaheira/Khalid?
    LOL @sirthaddaeus, of course not! They're linked NPCs, you can't normally get one without the other, if they explode in violence that would be too troller from the devs.
  • sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    kamuizin said:

LOL @sirthaddaeus, of course not! They're linked NPCs, you can't normally get one without the other, if they explode in violence that would be too troller from the devs.

No I mean that the Monty and Xzar end up fighting Jaheira and Khalid if they are all in the party after so long.

I've never seen it, but i've heard it happens and wanted to confirm.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324

Wasn't there a conflict eventually between Monty/Xzar and Jaheira/Khalid?

Yep. Tough one, too. Since most people will likely play good, the temptation will be to side with J/K, but M/X are the better NPCs...

Some other conflicts that I know of (I believe most of them end in bloodshed):

Kagain and Yeslick
    Eldoth and Shar-Teel
    Tiax and Quayle
    I feel like there's a couple others, but I can't remember them. I know Safana toys with somebody, but I don't think it ever comes to blows

It certainly doesn't end in combat, but Xan and Alora are an amazing combination.
    Eldoth and Shar-Teel never attacked each other in my plays, and i used both NPCs quite a lot.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I know Branwen has a conflict with either Tiax or Quayle, but can't remember which one... it was my first BG playthrough back in the day.
    kamuizin said:

Eldoth and Shar-Teel never attacked each other in my plays, and i used both NPCs quite a lot.

They fought just a couple days ago in my playthrough. I reloaded and it never happened again, though, so it might be rare. Eldoth says to her something about how she should be off baking cookies or something, she gets pissed off, he infuriates her more, she challenges him to a duel, he accepts.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @MilesBeyond Let me guess... Shar-Teel wins?
    @LadyRhian: I imagine they were picking bard chunks off the treetops for weeks afterwards. :)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited September 2012
    @shawne It's raining Eldoth, Hallelujah! It's raining Eldoth!
    LadyRhian said:

@MilesBeyond Let me guess... Shar-Teel wins?

LOL yup. The funny part is that if you had control over them, Eldoth would absolutely dominate Shar-Teel because he's got access to spells and wands and all sorts of other cool crap, while she can just charge at him.

But, for some reason when challenged to a duel, Eldoth decides to just sit there and shoot arrows at her. He doesn't even think to switch over to his Arrows of Piercing ;)
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    I remember my very first playthrough and I hardly knew anything about the game, picking up Khalid and Jaheira along with Xzar and Montaron. They started a fight in the middle of Beregost and I was just watching the whole thing, not understanding what I had done wrong ^^