Skip to content

Your favourite Final Battle?

HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
The final battle you enjoyed the most in Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale series?
  1. Your favourite Final Battle?108 votes
    1. Sarevok (BG)
      41.67%
    2. Irenicus (BG2)
      38.89%
    3. Melissan (BG2: ToB)
      12.04%
    4. Poquelin/Belhifet (IWD)
        2.78%
    5. Icasaracht (IWD: HoW)
        2.78%
    6. Isair & Madae (IWD 2)
        1.85%

Comments

• Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    edited September 2012
    asdf I wanted to eliminate this post
    Post edited by Fake_Sketch on
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    ToB, "Ascension" mod: it's a perfect summation of the challenges you've faced throughout the series.

In the first phase of the battle, Amelyssan brings back Irenicus and Bodhi. If they're in your party, Imoen will be forced to transform into the Slayer and Sarevok will be tempted to betray you.

In the second phase, you have to face the resurrected Five all at once.

Kill two and the third phase begins, with Amelyssan herself joining it.

It was an INCREDIBLY difficult fight, but having all the bosses in one room was absolutely epic. :)
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Sarevok for me. Without Ascension, it's easily the most difficult of the three (assuming you don't cheese it). Irenicus is cool but the guy goes down so easily it feels almost anti-climatic. Doubly so with Melly.

In all honesty, without using cheese tactics, I would rank Sarevok as being more difficult than Aec'Letic.

Of course, with Ascension, it's Melissan, all the way. That fight gets so much more character - not to mention it becomes incredibly difficult, lol
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    The Sarevok one STRESSES me out. I don't think I've ever done it 'genuinely'.
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    Irenicus was my favourite battle although I would say that, level for level, Sarevok was the hardest. By the time you have your super buffed party with all the best items in the game plus (in my case) access to numerous summoned creatures, Melissan becomes the easiest of the BG ones to defeat.

The twins in IWD2 are easy to beat as long as you know how to weaken them before the final fight...
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    Without Ascension, it's Irenicus. But I've always considered Ascension to be canon and thus prefer Melissan.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I've never done a legit Ascension playthrough. When I encountered the glitch where Amellysan was invincible due to a faulty install order, I was certain Ascension itself was the problem and just Ctrl+Y'd my way to victory. I do love that the normal-sized characters were susceptible to Smite in that fight, though, so my PC would immediately go Berserk, activate Smite, and then bat Bodhi and Sarevok to the opposite end of the map while I dealt with Irenicus and Slayer Imoen.

If Ascension is updated for BG2:EE or outright included, I will try my hand at it legitimately. Until then, though, my PC battling Sarevok greatsword to greatsword on that little staircase is a fond, fond memory.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Sarevok will always be my favourite. The reason had nothing to do with challenge. I wanted to kill him so badly I had to stop and remind myself he was not real. It was a compelling motivation: that glow-eyed metal muncher killed my dad!
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Sarevok in the most brutal physical fight, till only one stands!!
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    Never played Ascension. I really hope the include i (at least as an option) in BG2 EE.

I always found the circumstances surrounding the showdown with Irenicus to be great. But I did have more trouble killing Sarevok.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Melissan is the Actual Final Battle that comes AFTER the Other Final Battles, so that kinda gains my vote.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Sarevok by far. Irenicus is awesome, but I don't like killing him fairly as much as I do Sarevok.

Sarevok killed your foster father while you watched and made you public enemy number one.
    Irenicus imprisoned you and killed two non-favorite npcs as well as stealing your soul.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Sarevok ends up leaving you stranded in the middle of the wilderness with only Imoen and those you find along the way to help you survive. The amount you change over the course of the first game as you slowly develop from a feeble character challenged with your very survival by wolves and gibberlings to a character who is highly proficient at killing opponents makes killing Sarevok to be a far greater enjoyable event in my mind than killing the other two final bosses in the BG series. Plus I never get tired of seeing that final video, which despite being so short leaves such a great impression as to the scope of the events for which you are part of. Sarevok is the best final battle in my book, because despite me having known his weaknesses for over a decade I still enjoy the battle more than any other.

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Dude my Fighter could solo Belhifet and his two Iron Golems with minimal buffing. That battle was absolutely pathetic.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    edited September 2012
    When you're up against elemental princes and even a fallen solar, you know things are going to be of epic proportions, for lack of a better term.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    EDIT: He's NOT the narrator!
    Post edited by Ward on
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    Ward said:

He's the narrator!

SPOILERS? I HAVEN'T BEAT THE GAME YET.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Melissan, because of the atmoshpere and the cosmic dimensions of the battle. All of the other final battles are unique and epic as well. Infinity engine games have one of the most epic battles ever.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Sarevok for me. But then I hardly ever get to the end of SoA (I always seem to lose interest on my way to Spellhold) and I disliked ToB so much that I've only ever played it once.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

Ward said:

He's the narrator!

HE IS ALSO YOUR FATHER.

Ahem.
    Sarevok, simply because I was pissed the hell off by the time I got to him and was really happy I killed him.
    This week will be the week where I finish my first Ascension-Throne of Bhaal game so maybe that will change my view. It sounds very promising.

• mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43
    I always thought of Sarevok as the perfect fantasy villain, although that could just be nostalgia talking. I have fond memories of that final battle with Sarevok. I remember beating it when I was 12 and my 36 year old uncle was still having trouble with it. Good times!
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012

@thejoshfrost I don't mean Poquelin is the narrator. I mean "He's the narrator" generally. The narrator is the man, effectively. Uhm. I edited the post. Sorry.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    Sarevok is pretty badass in his final fight in a deserted Temple of Bhaal beneath a city, but fighting a powerful mage like Irenicus and several demons in Hell itself with a full spellbook is pure epicness! I prefer BG1 battle music and its final movie, though.

ToB battle is OK, but gets redundant and sometimes confusing between conjured creatures and Amelissan's demons. Mods like Ascension really help, though. Wonderful music.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Isair and Madae could have been a very nice final battle, but the place (room) where you will fight them is a rather disappointing one.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Sarevok final battle the best form me temple of Bhal dark dark atmosphere and epic battle.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Sure, Sarevok is great and an awesome Big Bad.
    But what's better is to BEAT UP a greater and Bigger Bad... by TEAMING UP with Sarevok himself! :D
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Sarevok's fight was OK, but I really hated the way it just ended the game, I missed out on all the ToSC content on my first playthrough. Irenicus' fight (and the trials preceeding it) was one of the best climaxes to a game I've ever played. The vanilla Melissan battle is one of the worst battles in the entire series, however if the Ascension version had been an option then it would have been a contender for my vote.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Irenicus in Suldannesselar is the best final battle, and the following final battle with him is still epic, but he should still be in Mage-form in order to be truly formidable.
    Isair & Madae get second candle though, I think. That was a properly challenging battle if you didn't just spam your warriors on Isair's face while having an anti-magic field erected (silly spell - much too powerful).
  • jkEmmaWatsonjkEmmaWatson Member Posts: 3
    I would have voted for Melissan, but then I remembered how cheesy it was of me to just stack traps on her every single phase.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I had the best time fighting the final battle against Sarevok. There's something a little earthier to me about it. The SoA and ToB ones almost have too many nuances and the premise of being there is rather metaphysical.