Skip to content

Shaman class on IDEE

As the title says, will we get the Shaman class from Siege of Dragonspear on Icewind Dale?

I don't think I have read anything about this, just that it will be added for both BGEE and BG2EE.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Indeed, so far there's been no official information on implementing SoD features to IWDEE.

But seeing how Beamdog is trying to bring any new enhancement they manage to create to both IWDEE and BGEE, I'm sure the shaman class will be included to IWDEE as well. All new Beamdog kits are there and I hope it's a matter of time when IWDEE cleric kits will be included into BGEE.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited September 2015
    Avenger has said some interesting things that may be relevant. Here he says, "...Eventually, all engine versions will be consolidated."

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/668849/#Comment_668849

Now, the question is, what is meant by 'the engine'? Well, not ai, not dialog.

"The AI is part of game data (not the engine). Like dialogue. So this isn't automatic."

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/666680/#Comment_666680

Now, we know that bg2ee will be patched to allow players to import (and create) shamans. Now, are the patches updating the game data, or the engine? I'd guess both.

I think--I recall this from some conversation that I can't find--that it was implied by avenger that, given the same engine, all game data could be duplicated (even if it took a lot of work).

I could be wrong about this, but I'm hoping that it is a reasonable assumption (yes, I'm a modder, but I have absolutely zero background in computers. This stuff only sometimes makes sense to me because I have a background in logic.)

Let's say that this is true, that a) given identical engines, all game data can be duplicated (by a modder), that b) the bgee and iwdee engines will be identical and c) (admittedly, the most dubious assumption) that all there is to a game is the engine and game data. That is, if two games are identical, then they run on the exact same engine, and they have the exact same game data...or are 'exact enough' excluding som things like specific cha (character) files. We can reword this to, if two games are identical, they run in the exact same engine, and they have the exact same essential game data. Essential game data would be any data that is not created or altered by the player. Players aren't modders (though, they can be), so player created data wouldn't include modded content for the purposes of this discussion.

Now, i think we can reasonably assume that if the final iwdee patch does not have a shaman, then the shaman cannot be added by a modder.

Let's assume that (at least) the last iwdee patch does not contain a shaman. This is going to be a reductio assumption, meaning that my purpose is to show that this assumption cannot be true given other, more reasonable assumptions.

But, if so, then the shaman cannot be a part of the game data given a,b and c, because if it was, then it could be duplicated.

Now, given c, there could be a potential mod that we will call 'bgee in iwdee' or "bii" for short. bii should be identical to bgee given a,b and c above. But, bii will not contain a shaman. If bii does not contain a shaman, then bii is not identical to bgee. If so, then at least one of a,b or c is false . But let's say that a, b and c is true. If so, then bii must be identical to bgee. If so, then the shaman must be a part of the engine, and will be included (at least) in the last iwdee latch.

Had to rush through the last part there, wife wants attention, but now you have an informal proof that, given a,b and c, the shaman will be included in (at least) the last iwdee patch!