Skip to content

Sunsoul Monk, Wand of Cloudkill and stacking Hardiness

Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
Hi guys i have a few questions:

It seems that the Monk can´t use Wand of Cloudkill anymore like it was in BG2 Vanilla. Why did they fix that?
Does Hardiness stack like it was in the Original Game? I had a MP Session a few weeks ago and i played an Inquisitor through the Fire Temple of Yaga-Shura and i had the bad feeling that Hardiness doesn´t work like it was in the good old days^^

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    A monk can use the same wands as a cleric. So you can use things like wand of the heavens, horror, and a few others, but not mage/sorcerer/bard-only wands like cloudkill or fireball.

The BG2 guides indeed mention spamming cloudkill using wands. But with the EE it's no longer an option.

Hardiness stacks but not with itself, it does stack with other damage reduction abilities, like the Barbarian's natural immunity and the passive gained from the Defender of Easthaven flail.
  • Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
    ok thank you very much. There goes a possible solo run with a monk. In ToB there are so many hard hitters (Firegiants in general) and its not enjoyable to drink that many potions after every fight xd^^. After my Solo Sorcerer run through Bg2 EE i am looking for a good solo melee class except Fighter/Mage and Cleric/Ranger (I want to play my Gnome Fighter/Illusionist through the hole saga including SoD). Barbarian could do it i guess.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    High level Monks do get to ridiculously low numbers on AC and Thac0, and can be totally immune to magic. Seriously, only a Swashbuckler abusing UAI can get to equal AC, and only Archers and Kensais get better Thac0 than Monks.

Dark Moon Monks get additional tricks such as Mirror Image which makes you pretty unhittable when coupled with the monstrous AC. A level 35 monk will have -22 AC even without any items or skills. For even more survivability, equip Gargoyle Boots since BoS are totally useless to a Monk anyway.

Even when your AC caps at -24, you can still use AC modifiers against specific enemies such as Potion of Absorption against those giants, or Cloak of Displacement and Elves Bane against Yaga-Shura's army or the Tethyrian army. Mages will probably be the biggest headache but you can outlast them with your MR.

For a solo monk ToB is not a problem, SoA is. Before you can get to those high levels, you have to deal with the early squishiness and weakness of the Monk.