Skip to content

What are some things that frustrated or dissapointed you about the BG or IWD series?

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Ok, we all *love* the BG series and most of us also have a place in our heart for the IWD games too, but what things just straight up frustrated or dissapointed you about them? (Disclaimer - Talking original games with no mods here).

Here's a few for me:

1) BG -- No 5th level clerical spells, even after the expansion. C'mon, no Flamestrike? No Raise Dead? Who wants to play a druid to get that stuff...

2) BG -- Lack of inventory space. Those fancy gem pouches and scroll cases? That was futuristic technology at the time. :D

3) BG -- No Max HP per Level, No Automatic Spell learning. Reload, Reload, Reload, Reload.

4) BG -- Horrible pathfinding

5) BG -- Ridiculous Kobold archer encounters at low level while camping. The dialogue here should have read "Every Kobold in Faerun awakens you from your slumber -- ROAR."

6) BG -- Those little kids always taunting me. YOU FUNNY LOOKIN. Ha, ok just kidding on this one.

7) BG2 -- Xzar and Montaron die. Boo... HISS.

8) BG2 -- No Kagain. I probably am alone on this one but I *liked* Kagain, and Korgan is just a jacked up substitute on steroids.

9) BG2 -- Beginning of the game assumes you played as good aligned in BG1. I know, I know, I know - This was almost impossible to change but I remember playing it and being like... these people got captured with me? They weren't even in my party lol.

10) IWD -- Item Randomness. ITEM RANDOMNESS. AAARRRRGH. But it gives replayability! But its more like using the random treasure tables in AD&D! F*ck that! Give me the best items so I don't have to reload and hack.

11) IWD -- Lack of spell scrolls to suit more than one mage. Might enter a bit into the replayability argument above, but one fireball scroll? ONE FIREBALL SCROLL?! Rage.

12) IWD -- Lack of gameplay hours. Nuff said.

13) IWD -- Trials of the Luremaster. C'mon - You're going to take me OUT of Icewind Dale for an expansion? I didn't buy "Icewind Dale and the Desert". Isn't there enough in the frozen north to keep me occupied?

14) IWD -- Heart of Winter eliminating/changing items from IWD. Really? You're going to try to balance the game by removing cool magic items and making my Mithril Field Plate +2 magical? I hate you.

15) IWD -- Build a party instead of finding NPCs. I guess its "Different" and a "Matter of Preference" and I did enjoy writing the biographies for my chars... not sure this should be on this list, but it is, screw it.

16) IWD -- Changing store inventories. Better buy that item soon - OR ITS GONE. Why do make it so hard to make money, and then make it even harder by taking away certain items if I don't buy them soon enough? How about you place those items in dungeons instead, since some of them are the coolest ones in the game.. This is Dungeons and Dragons not Merchants and Barmaids! :P

Comments

• CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    What frustrated me was the lack of time to play these great games.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    BG1/2 - using stat increasing items don't carry over from game to game or replays.

BG2 - losing all your stuff at the beginning of the game when you replay......needs to be a fix/workaround for this.

BG2 - no female edwin romance......mods took care of it but come on, missed opportunity.

BG2 - if male, requiring high wisdom to get out of sleeping with drow female, and auto breaks romance if you mess up.....

more but wife got home, will post again later :)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @HaHaCharade I know you said unmodded, but yeah.. there's easy solutions for all your BG issues except the one with Xzar/Montaron and the one that assumes you played good-aligned really. It's the beauty of mods and a fairly editable game. Imo if you're capable of changing something or downloading someone else's effort to change it for you, well.. then it's not really an issue.

What annoys me the most nowadays is probably the pathfinding issues in bottlenecks and all-around tight quarters - how a character finds his way blocked for one second and then decides to walk off around the entire map hoping to find a better way, even if there isn't one. Would have liked either for characters to be able to occupy the same spot and walk through each other, or for the pathfinding AI to simply wait for awhile rather than going off in the opposite direction.
    This is also evident e.g. when trying to enter Cromwell's place in the Athkatla docks. Can take ages to get everyone up the stairs or close enough to them so you can enter. I would like a mod that enlarged the area your party has to be in before you can use an exit.

Other than that it's mostly stuff that was hardcoded or part of the 2e ruleset, that bugs me like:

- fighters getting immense bonuses from str while thieves and mages get comparatively little from dex/int - this can be altered of course, but the game isn't really balanced around it

- the UI not being modifiable so classes and class combos aren't very malleable

- stoneskin making your character spend close to the entire trilogy brown-coloured annoyed me for a long time and almost put me off from playing a mage - but it got fixed, awesomely enough

As for IWD, I never liked it that much at all.
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    One thing that I find really disappointing is the main villains in IWD and IWD2. There's no real "personal conflict" between your characters and the main villains. In Baldur's Gate series; Sarevok murders your foster father in front of your eyes, Irenicus tortures you and your sister and Melissan seeks to control something you wish to control yourself or to destroy. Every final battle against the main villain feels personal in Baldur's Gate and it's just feels epic. In Icewind Dale, you only hear the names of those villains, meet them once or twice before the final battle, learn something about their past, but I never feel "victorious" after the final battle with them..
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @bjjorick Bro are you saying tomes don't follow through the game?
  • blatantninjablatantninja Member Posts: 29
    @Heavyline - agree 100%. The IWD games are just really light on story, they are dungeon crawls pure and simple. I really disliked that the end game was basically kill the boss, roll credits. BG wasn't much better, but at least it makes a bit more sense given that there was a sequel. I would like to see more of an ending to it though, maybe something detailing your flight out of the hidden city and then maybe something about what happens to any of your party members that aren't available in the second game.

The beginning of BG2 never really bothered me. The party I had imported from BG1 had already been Imoen, Jaheria, Khalid (actually kept him alive once) and Minsc. I had killed off Dynaheir, can't remember who I replaced her with. Would be nice to see it changed up though to show your actual party. Should be easy enough to script in that Imoen gets captured too or maybe Jaheria and Khalid came looking for you if you didn't have them in the party.
    Ward said:

not on npc party members

Also, one more thing about BG1/BG2, seems like my health is always rerolled at the beginning of BG2 as it's always less then the amount i got from reloading rolls.... that might just be me though
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Ok, it seems that we can resume most things in: "The transition between BG1 and BG2 is awful". I really hope they can work around this a bit (Yes I know they have contractual limitations).
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    There was nothing disappointing in BG1 because you had nothing to expect, this game was a complete surprise - sure it needs improvements but I cant think of something that disappointed me.

BG2 on the on the other hand is a different story. After BG1 success I really expected an Open World exploration just like its predecessor, when I got to the Athkatla gates and find out its not the case I felt a MASSIVE disappointment!! and thats without talking about those AWFUL AWFUL paperdolls...

As for frustrating things I think that the 20 stack limit for arrows/bolts and the lack of gem bag are the most frustrating things.

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Bjjorick said:

Ward said:

not on npc party members

Also, one more thing about BG1/BG2, seems like my health is always rerolled at the beginning of BG2 as it's always less then the amount i got from reloading rolls.... that might just be me though
    Get the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod. Everything, including Tomes, on Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, Edwin, and Viconia carry over. If you want to give Viconia all three Wis tomes, they are reflected in BG2 and TOB. If you want to keep Imoen as a pure Thief, you can do that. It gives a lot more continuity.

• KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    The only thing that really disappoints me in BG is some of the content that was planned but never made it out of the door like the Haer'dalis romance or a conclusion to the Twisted Rune stuff. I'm pretty happy with everything else. :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    BG -

I'm disappointed by the Nabassu demon boss in TOTSC, as it seems immensely overpowered and requires way too much knowledge about the D&D rule set to come up with ways to defeat it. I was seriously annoyed and eventually figured it wasn't worth the time or effort to take it out. I'm not saying I want it to be easy - I just don't want to resort on gimmicks to win.

BG2 -

Honestly wasn't disappointed by this game at all. It had some frustrations (got sick of level drain a LONG time ago), but it wasn't fun-breaking.

IWD/IWD2 -

Bleah. I want a story and reason to play. Not 'find more enemies to kill' for no reason whatsoever. Weak games, through and through.

BG -

I'm disappointed by the Nabassu demon boss in TOTSC, as it seems immensely overpowered and requires way too much knowledge about the D&D rule set to come up with ways to defeat it. I was seriously annoyed and eventually figured it wasn't worth the time or effort to take it out. I'm not saying I want it to be easy - I just don't want to resort on gimmicks to win.

I remember having that frustration where things that should have worked against it didn't. The first time I ran into it, I used a protection from magic scroll on my main character and still was getting hit by his magic and was wondering what the heck was going on. Using it on him didn't work any better. It was definitely an annoying moment.

AHF said:

Get the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod. Everything, including Tomes, on Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, Edwin, and Viconia carry over. If you want to give Viconia all three Wis tomes, they are reflected in BG2 and TOB. If you want to keep Imoen as a pure Thief, you can do that. It gives a lot more continuity.

@ahf i know, just i thought that should be a part of the regular game. a thief could use scroll/wand of missles or she could cast magic missle as part of her bhaal power. I just hate that they change so much from part 1 to part 2. And i thought it should be a part of the unmodded game :)
    Bjjorick said:

AHF said:

@ahf i know, just i thought that should be a part of the regular game. a thief could use scroll/wand of missles or she could cast magic missle as part of her bhaal power. I just hate that they change so much from part 1 to part 2. And i thought it should be a part of the unmodded game :)
    Hopefully that will be the case for BGEE!
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    BG 1 - Finding NPCs at levels above 1. I like to be able to customize the NPCs (and to roll full hp and to give them the proficiencies I want), so it's really annoying when I find Kivan at level 4 with 26 hps or Quayle at lv 4/5 with 22 hps...).

BG 1 - When I tried to play an all-evil party, and being really evil, I had problems in concluding quests. In Nashkell, some Amn Mercenaries attacked me, and the mayor became hostile, so I couldn't finish the mines quest. It bugged me a lot. I'd like if people wouldn't become automatically hostile if some Mercenaries or head hunters attacked me and I killed them. I still want to do my quests.

BG 2 - I liked to be able, in BG1, to wander around at pleasure a lot before doing my quests; in BG2 there was always some problem that arrived at the wrong moment: Jaheira got cursed when I was searching for Valygar, while Anomen had to go back to the temple and Jan to his sister. And Keldorn to his wife. And a kid arrived just at that moment to summon Minsc hastly for the shadows. I like to straight up priorities, but damn...

BG 2 - Linked to the previous one, the fact that there were a lot of areas, not related to the main quest, that you had to be invited to, like Firerkaag's hills, the merchant city (the name evades me at the moment - I stopped playing the game some years ago), the place with the quest of the shadows (name, name, name...)...

BG 2 - Shapeshifter druid was lame. I liked a lot (A LOT) the idea, and loved the sprite. But when transformed, it was basically a heavily underpowered warrior (it still had cleric's THAC0 and hp, plus it couldn't use special weapons and armours), and that took away the best part of the class. As a caster it wasn't that bad, but I wanted to play a werewolf, not a werecleric... I would have gladly gone with more restrictions on spells, but useful were forms.

BG 2 - Not being able, as a druid, to grow in power for a good half of the game was super-lame! Stupid level cap.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228

BG -

Really?

I got it on my second try. Got Viconia to drink a potion of magic resistance, which brought it to 100%. The demon wasted his best spells on her. Then Shar-Teel rushed him hasted with a potion a strength, and I got him pretty quickly.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @MatteoTurini Welcome to the forums!

As far as the BG2 druid criticisms go; my understanding was that the advanced shapeshifter abilities were never coded correctly and were intended to be much more powerful than they were in game. Hopefully by the time BG2EE rolls around that will be fixed.

The druid level cap thing was strictly carried over from AD&D, even though it makes no sense in the BG setting...

*gets out AD&D rulebook*

PnP:Basically there can only be one level 15 druid in the world at a time, thus the immense xp gap between lvl 14 and 15. You can only achieve that level by being appointed by the previous level 15 druid. You could only advance past that point (to level 16) by having some OTHER level 14 druid to replace you as the only level 15 druid in the world. Oddly enough, there can be an unlimited number of level 16+ level druids. Whew...

Even though the only part of that requirement to make it into BG is that you must be level 15 to obtain the druid grove stronghold in BG2, the XP tables were kept the same. Even though the PnP rulebook specifically states that this is not a combat challenge; in BG2 it is.

(Interestingly, if you reach the XP cap in SOA Jaheria's xp is juuuuust a little too low to become a level 15 druid and issue the challenge herself. Of course, even with an xp cap remover she still can't, because it was only intended for the PC. Cernd himself can reach level 15 as a pure druid but also won't challenge for some character-releated reason I don't know because I never used him).

tl;dr: Druids are no good in BG2 because Bioware and TSR hate you.
  • EyebrowsEyebrows Member Posts: 8
    The biggest problem that I have with the series is the horrible pathfinding.
    But that is being fixed with BG:EE.
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    @kilroy_was_here - Thanks for the welcome!
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    @Cloutier

I agree the demon was not that hard I got him on 3rd try, I used the raise skeletons spell as cannon fodder, and my mages to cast protection from petrification and fear resistance and me, montaron, viconia with haste using best missle/bow weapons with best ammo and korgan with full prof in axes and using that throwing axe that returns to hand + buffs, haste chant and the usual, slaughtered it
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Majoca - I guess I have to learn better ways to buff or something. I get trashed by the thing.
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    The lack of incidence your alignment has in the game. The inutility of charisma. The inutility of intelligence if you are not a mage.

The lack of evil choice you really have when it comes to quest. You can't play a jerk in this game, and most of the side quest are a success only if you try to resolve the problem in a goodie fashion : helping the people solve their problem, save them...
    You can almost never solve the problem by being a complete jerk, and you will miss most of the rewards.

@Majoca - I guess I have to learn better ways to buff or something. I get trashed by the thing.

It still bothers me that the anti-magic scroll doesn't protect you. Buffering has to be done in a metagaming fashion for that fight, IMO.

• MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    @reedmilfam

I can understand your difficulties, I heavily relied of korgan and montaron doing the main damage on magic resistant creatures. viconia was basically the skeleton summoner and buffer, my character illusionist/ theif was backstabber and used situational spells like charm, web and haste, xzar skull trap, fireball, lightening bolt and anything mad and suicidal. Anyway the key is to use stealth to kill the priest and cultists around the demon first then fight the demon.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Cloutier said:

Really?

I got it on my second try. Got Viconia to drink a potion of magic resistance, which brought it to 100%. The demon wasted his best spells on her. Then Shar-Teel rushed him hasted with a potion a strength, and I got him pretty quickly.

I'm picturing Shar-Teel just tackling Alec'Letec to the ground and beating him to death with her bare hands, an image which is probably going to cause me to bat my eyes and coquettishly bite my lower lip at her when next I play the game.

...Look, I don't deny that she'd wear the pants in the relationship. Don't judge me!
  • CuanCuan Member Posts: 38
    For me the biggest upset was BG2. I loved BG and yes it had flaws, but I loved the openness of the world, how I could choose where I wanted to go and when it suited me. If I wanted to try tackle bassilisks at level 1 that was my perogative.

BG2 is too rail roaded, you can only enter most areas when the game thinks you are ready too. You are FORCED (so much for RP) to save imoen, (Didnt I kill her in BG1 and she exploded - aka not resurrectable)... I hate you are forced to start with a goody goody party every time. And no that was not an engine limitation - it was development laziness. They could have put a canon good, canon neutral and canon evil party, depending on the charname alignment.

I find BG2 to be very boring and tedious near the end and extremely intolerable in ToB.

The complete lack of joinable NPCs made for rather low replayability in BG2 and there is a reason so many thieves were available in BG1, because it is almost compulsory to have one. BG2 has a complete lack of thieves...

I preferred BG1. :)
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2012
    Hello World! Dropping my first post here.

My largest problem with Infinity Engine games was -always- the Combat. It just felt so messy.

And after playing The Temple of Elemental Evil, all of these games with the turns mixed into real time feel too simple (Though, I must say that NWN does a good job with the system, keeping the "turns" really in.) TOEE had all the D&D 3.5e combat rules, from attack of oppoturnities to "ready vs..." actions and what not. Five foot steps, charges, I loved the combat in that. Baldur's Gate is just a bit disappointing with the combat not having even AoOs in it (Which NWN series had.)

Then again! I'm not really an expert on the AD&D2 ruleset, but I know enough to be comfourtable with it, and how to play BG:EE with it. I of course prefer the D&D 3.5e rules myself, but that's how I am - spoiled.
    I very much dislike the fact that you have to find or buy the spell scrolls for wizards (instead of gaining spells on level up), certainly dislike some of the racials, and I also dislike the abilities compared to 3.5e.

I also found BG1 too hard at times. Skip something and you're not high level enough, or you don't use the right tactics (Read: Bring the right gear) and you find your party being used for... well, I can't possibly say, that would ruin your (the reader's) sanity.

Examples of the above:
    On my level 4 party (Me: Wild mage, Minsc, Paladin npc, Dynaheir, Branwen, Imoen) I ran into Vampiric Wolves or whatever when coming south from Beregost. Only way I could damage them was with Magic Missile, but then they just closed in on melee and ate my party. I tried CC (Grease, web, stinking cloud) and peppering them with arrows. No damage. And couldn't make enough magic missiles to kill them with those two low level mages.
    Don't get me wrong, I prefer hardcore D&D rules (Sleep or Hold my character, I get it, I'm f-----), but.. come on, at least give me a chance of fighting these things. I came with all the buffs on. Bless, barkskin, protection vs evil and no luck. Even used that Branwen's Spiritual Hammer and some fire arrows on Imoen, but the wolves got all their lost HP back in a single attack.

EDIT: I've played a lot of IWD 2 and BG 1, but haven't really dabbled into IWD 1 or BG2. I also finished Planescape. I must also confess that I am absolutely in love with D&D 3.5E and some of the "newer" games (TOEE & NWN -series)
    And I -Hate- the Fourth Edition.
    Post edited by Sily on