Skip to content

Add Bard Spells per Day Progression from IWDEE to BGEE, BGIIEE, & BGSoD

In BGEE and BGIIEE, Bards can cast up to Level 6 spells. In IWDEE, they can cast up to level 8 spells (if you can get them up to level 30, that is).

Would it be possible to get the level 8 spell progression added to the Baldur's Gate games?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    As someone who was originally drawn to BG as a pretty neat rendering of the 2nd Edition AD&D rules, I would rather not see this in the main game. I won't decry the modders their fun, but if BeamDog were to add this overpowering addition to the game, I would at least like some way to disable it - and simply not using the slots that open up to me is not the ideal solution! I will play any character before me to the max, intentionally going outside the screens offered by the game to apply an artificial limit breaks immersion, one of the big strengths of the BG series.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2015
    In the case of high-level progressions, I imagine that the limitations in Baldur's Gate are there because of High Level Abilities, which don't exist in Icewind Dale. Putting the two things together would definitely affect the difficulty of the game, which definitely would need to be considered. Icewind Dale has its balance design; Baldur's Gate has a different kind of balance design. (I'm using the phrase "balance design" here to draw a distinction between actual game balance and the experience of balance that the developers craft for the player, regardless of whether or not the game itself is made easier or harder as a result.)

The mod exists to bring the mechanics from one game over to the other, which seems sufficient for now at least.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

As someone who was originally drawn to BG as a pretty neat rendering of the 2nd Edition AD&D rules, I would rather not see this in the main game. I won't decry the modders their fun, but if BeamDog were to add this overpowering addition to the game, I would at least like some way to disable it - and simply not using the slots that open up to me is not the ideal solution! I will play any character before me to the max, intentionally going outside the screens offered by the game to apply an artificial limit breaks immersion, one of the big strengths of the BG series.

Bard spell progression to 8th level is based on the AD&D DM Option: High-Level Campaigns sourcebook. So, it's as valid a rule as any of the rules from optional sourcebooks like weapon grand mastery or kits.