Skip to content

Fighter Druid States explained

Hi, I'm setting up to start HOW after finishing IWD and starting a new party. I was thinking of having a multi class fighter Druid. Can someone give me advice on the states I should go for. He won't be my party leader, so it's my understanding that Cha won't be important? Also what about cons, as he's a multi class fighter, is it pointless maxing out cons as he wouldn't get the benefit as he's not a pure fighter class???? Thanks:-)

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    The minimum Charisma of 15 will suffice, but that's already a high score. You do get the full +4 hp/level bonus with 18 Con, although it will come in +2 hp/level for each class (i.e., you'll get +2 hp when leveling up Fighter, +2 when leveling up Druid). So, basically, Wis, Str, Dex, and Con are all useful. If the character will be more fighter than Druid, you could prioritize the physical stats over Wisdom. If the main role is spellcaster/shapeshifter, then physical stats are less important, because shapeshifting sets your physical stats to those of the new form.
  • marty29marty29 Member Posts: 30
    Excellent thanks!

The minimum Charisma of 15 will suffice, but that's already a high score. You do get the full +4 hp/level bonus with 18 Con, although it will come in +2 hp/level for each class (i.e., you'll get +2 hp when leveling up Fighter, +2 when leveling up Druid). So, basically, Wis, Str, Dex, and Con are all useful. If the character will be more fighter than Druid, you could prioritize the physical stats over Wisdom. If the main role is spellcaster/shapeshifter, then physical stats are less important, because shapeshifting sets your physical stats to those of the new form.

One other question,... I'm struggling to get a good roll for a multi class fighter / Druid. The higest I've managed is 93 . I want to max out strength, con, Dex and wisdom. As I'm not using this character as my leader (I've got a paladin)--- the lowest is 15 for charisma.....but I also want him to be able to use wands....so looking at a roll of 95 at least... But I won't/can't get that... Would it be better for me to perhaps go a human and dual class? What would be the benifets and when should I dual if I decide to do that?

Thanks
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited September 2015
    To dual class, you'd need even better stats: 17 CHA is required to go from Fighter to Druid. Also, I'm pretty sure that 9 is the minimum INT to be able to use wands. I think your options are to keep rolling, cheat (CTRL-8), or decide that it's okay to play a character without perfect stats.

The biggest advantage of dual classing would be allowing weapon grandmastery. Since the level cap in IWD works differently from in the BG series, the "strongest" possible time to dual class would be at level 29. Levels 7 or 13 would be better choices from the perspective of actually enjoying the game and not having a gimped character for a long time.

Edit: My comment about 9 INT for wands refers to the other version of this question you posted at https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43877/question-about-dual-multi-class
    Ok cool thanks, I can't cheat as I'm playing on my iPad for the moment...:-( sounds like the best choice would be to stick with multiclass and try and keep rolling....what states can I put to 17 that that wouldn't make much difference?.... I think your right about the wands by the way,...:-) 9 is the lowest....
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2015
    You don't need min-maxed stats for any character. Which stats are least important really depend on how you plan to use the character.

If you plan the character to be a melee-combat front-liner who can summon some allies before battle, emphasize Str, Dex, and Con over Wis. It means a few less spells per day, but if the character is on the front line, they probably don't cast as much as a primary spellcaster.

If you intend a summoner/bombardier-type spellcaster with good ranged attacks (druids have some good offensive spells), focus on Wis and Dex (for more spells/day and better AC and ranged attacks). If you need the druid to melee, she can shapechange for melee combat, especially once she gets the elemental shapechange abilities. Shapechange sets physical ability scores, so her Strength doesn't matter as much.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Just give up on wands and go with 3 int. Dual class is vastly better in IWD for many reasons.