Skip to content

I'm completely confused about Voghlin

So I was looking at the NPCs that are going to be introduced... and I'll have to admit I'm excited to play most of them because they just seem like fresh new additions that aren't really available in either game, so go Beamdog for their added choices! Also, if the NPCs are fleshed out and awesome, I'm sure there's going to be cries to add at least a few of them into BG2 EE... ANYWHO, I got a bit off track; here's my question:

Is the Skald going to be Human or Dwarf?

His portrait is VERY Dwarf-like and so at first I was thinking Dwarf, but then I remembered that Skalds can only be human or Half-elf, but then I remembered that sometimes NPCs use illegal races or stats which just make them that much more special (in my opinion anyways) and I think I would very much approve if it was a Dwarf. Now, if he's human, that's okay too, but I love those fun out of left field NPCs!

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Oh, boy, I hope this doesn't start the petition debate again.
    Voghiln is an NPC in the Black Pits 2, and he is human in it, as he will be in SoD.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @dockaboomski Lol there was a debate about whether or not he should be a Dwarf? Lol I figured I had missed something, well thank you for clearing it up... I am a bit bummed, but humans aren't THAT bad I suppose ;)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2015
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Dwarf? Human?
    Voghlin's vast trans-species personhood doesn't need any of your archaic labels, dude!
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Half-dwarf. Calling it.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Lol this thread has become kind of silly I was just asking an innocent question...
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Second edition Bard's Handbook had Dwarven Skalds. Perfectly legal combination. Just make him recruiable early in BG 2
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2015
    PK2748 said:

Second edition Bard's Handbook had Dwarven Skalds. Perfectly legal combination. Just make him recruiable early in BG 2

A dwarf skald would basically be (according to those rules) a non-spellcasting character that instead had the chance of avoiding the effects of a limited number of spells (which they have to already know). Though they would still have the skalds unique song. Overall though on a mechanical level it would be quite a bit different than the existing in-game Skald kit.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I don't need a skald to cast spells, I just want somebody to sing for Wilson. I forgot they had to know spells to resist them. I haven't owned second edition books in forever.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    What confuses me about Voghlin is that he's wearing a helmet. I thought bards couldn't wear them.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Mortianna said:

What confuses me about Voghlin is that he's wearing a helmet. I thought bards couldn't wear them.

It's not a helmet, it is the silver pantalettes he placed on his head during one of his drunken escapades. They are actually a cursed version of pantalettes though and cannot be removed without a remove curse spell which he refuses to pay for. He'd rather spend his money on ale, regardless of what others say about his headwear.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    elminster said:

PK2748 said:

A dwarf skald would basically be (according to those rules) a non-spellcasting character that instead had the chance of avoiding the effects of a limited number of spells (which they have to already know). Though they would still have the skalds unique song. Overall though on a mechanical level it would be quite a bit different than the existing in-game Skald kit.
    Dwarven Skald:

Can't cast spells
    Can fight while singing (thus making use of the +1 to hit and +1 damage)
    Can use axes and hammers

Picture him chanting old wrongs and tales of victory while swinging an axe. It'd be so epic I'd always have one in my party.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Mortianna - It could be it's just that helmet and that it's his special owned item.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @deltago said:

Mortianna said:

It's not a helmet, it is the silver pantalettes he placed on his head during one of his drunken escapades. They are actually a cursed version of pantalettes though and cannot be removed without a remove curse spell which he refuses to pay for. He'd rather spend his money on ale, regardless of what others say about his headwear.
    Ah, now it all makes sense! Thank you for clarifying. Jan would be proud. ^.^

I can only hope something like that ends up in the game.