Skip to content

The best of Drizzt!

2»

Comments

• BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited August 2016
    How you bastards have the gall to attack and kill Drizzt is beyond my comprehension. I have zero respect for you guys, I'm sorry.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881

How you bastards have the gall to attack and kill Drizzt is beyond my comprehension. I have zero respect for you guys, I'm sorry.

Philistine.
    SkaroseCrevsDaak
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited August 2016
    PK2748 said:

I mean, I'd prefer it if he would just commit suicide off screen so I never have to see him, but as they fixed it a d he fights back against the Gnolls I'm pretty much required to kill him as a crime against literature
    Speaking of crime against literature, good thing your actions aren't canon, ha.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    @Skarose, like thd dwarf thief pic. Curiously, are you using that as an alternate pic for a NPC (e.g. Tiax) or running a dwarf thief with Andred and Viconia?
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    @Aerakar, it's an alternate pic for Tiax. I've always preferred to play with the NPCs rather than create my own party. I also play with a mod that allows early access to late game NPCs, ie Tiax could be found and recruited in Beregost etc. I always hated the Tiax NPC pic.

CrevsDaakAerakar
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    PK2748 said:

I'm pretty much required to kill him as a crime against literature
    I'm so glad I found someone else who feels like this. I eyerolled so hard so often while reading his books.
    Skarose
  • Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    edited March 2017
    I used to dislike Drizzt (as he seems quite arrogant in BG), but then I started reading the books. Only read a few so far, but I like the character a lot. What I don't like is Salvatore's storytelling. I don't like his overdescriptive combat scenes (which border on boring), nor his unwillingness to kill off characters. Good storytelling needs drama, and his stories lack it because you *know* the heroes will always win with no real losses to their name.

Finally, what I dislike is his constant praising of Drizzt (which is what I believe turns a lot of people off rather than Drizzt himself as a character). Sentences like "but they were no match for the wonderful Drow." He shouldn't do that. It amounts to shameless self promotion, since he is Drizzt's creator. It is indeed a crime against literature.

The Mary Sue claim is not entirely correct. Drizzt will be celebrating his 30th birthday next year, meaning he is a character that has existed for a long time. Much of storytelling and what engages us has changed between then and now. He is Mary-Sueish by today's standards, but when he was made, he wasn't. He hasn't evolved much with the times, I will grant you that, but that is perhaps because Salvatore did not want to ruin a good thing that had made him famous. He stuck to the formula.

All of these criticisms aside, I do like Drizzt. Why? Because our world is a mess. It isn't a good place and the good guys don't win. When reading Drizzt, there is a kind of beautiful innocence to him, a hope that no matter what, things will be okay. When we want more realistic stories, we can look elsewhere. But Drizzt is necessary for the times when everything seems wrong and we need some goodness to escape into for a little while.
    SkaroseCrevsDaakBalrog99Otherguy
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited March 2017
    Honestly, any character soloing Drizzt in BG1 means that kit needs some heavy duty nerfing.

I also always kill Drizzt (chaotic neutral, I do it for the challenge), but the I do it the good ol' fashioned way God intended; no cheese, but lots of staffs of monster summoning + ranged weapons + haste and chant etc.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    You should always strike Drizzt at his great weakness: chocolate covered blueberries.
    CrevsDaak
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107

I used to dislike Drizzt (as he seems quite arrogant in BG), but then I started reading the books. Only read a few so far, but I like the character a lot. What I don't like is Salvatore's storytelling. I don't like his overdescriptive combat scenes (which border on boring), nor his unwillingness to kill off characters. Good storytelling needs drama, and his stories lack it because you *know* the heroes will always win with no real losses to their name.

Finally, what I dislike is his constant praising of Drizzt (which is what I believe turns a lot of people off rather than Drizzt himself as a character). Sentences like "but they were no match for the wonderful Drow." He shouldn't do that. It amounts to shameless self promotion, since he is Drizzt's creator. It is indeed a crime against literature.

The Mary Sue claim is not entirely correct. Drizzt will be celebrating his 30th birthday next year, meaning he is a character that has existed for a long time. Much of storytelling and what engages us has changed between then and now. He is Mary-Sueish by today's standards, but when he was made, he wasn't. He hasn't evolved much with the times, I will grant you that, but that is perhaps because Salvatore did not want to ruin a good thing that had made him famous. He stuck to the formula.

All of these criticisms aside, I do like Drizzt. Why? Because our world is a mess. It isn't a good place and the good guys don't win. When reading Drizzt, there is a kind of beautiful innocence to him, a hope that no matter what, things will be okay. When we want more realistic stories, we can look elsewhere. But Drizzt is necessary for the times when everything seems wrong and we need some goodness to escape into for a little while.

I don't mean to attack you, I just hold a polar opposite opinion so please read this with a big helping of salt.

The Drizzt story wears a little more on you as time goes on as the novels keep following the same plot. "Everything is great because I am with my friends! --> Someone has attacked my friend(s)! --> I have defeated the enemy with my awesome skills and the help of my friends --> Darn, people still hate me because of racism because I am drow, but it's ok, I still have The Power of Friendship! (TM) --> *Brooding*" I've read all of his early books and the "best buds!" vibe gets kind of cloying. I'm definitely going to agree with the overdescribed fight scenes especially between him and noname mooks.

The problem also isn't just that Drizzt was a Mary Sue then but he still is in the books that are just being written. He is still very whiny, very brooding, and doesn't really suffer in the Spellplague. When everything is going wrong for every other major character, all of his magic artifacts still work perfectly. He's an obnoxious "philosopher warrior" with no real flaw beyond believing too much in people and brooding too hard.

Again, I really respect your views and that you enjoy reading Drizzt. I just immensely dislike the character.
    Skarose
  • Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    That's fair enough. I'm a much bigger fan of more mature storytelling anyhow, I simply like delving into Drizzt every so often for the simplicity of the story (sometimes, such things are needed).

I do genuinely like his desire to always do good no matter what, and the power of friendship emphasised in the novels is something I myself truly believe in so it adds an extra personal dimension to it.

However, not having read all (or even most) of the books, you are probably in a better position to judge the character than I am. I can see that if he keeps to exactly the same formula throughout, it would wear a little thin.

Nevertheless, it's ultimately a story of goodness prevailing, which is a nice touch, especially in today's world of moral relativism and such assorted nonsense.
    Empyrial
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    edited March 2017
    I've read most of the books about Drizzt and in my opinion they aren't that great. I don't dislike the character Drizzt that much though, he maybe should be a bit more emotionally damaged than he is growing up in a drow city, but this is fantasy. Holding him to real life standards is difficult. He also isn't the powerhouse everyone makes him out to be in the books imho, he can deal with fighter types like no other, he is after all a bit of ranger, fighter and barbarian and a very high level for the setting at that. And most of the fights he gets into is versus low level fighters. But have him fight a high level caster and he stands no chance, kind of like in the game or any DnD setting really.

Killing him in the game makes no sense to me except if you're very evil. Is it because he is too nice? Why is that a problem?
    BladeDancer
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Otherguy

"Killing him in the game makes no sense to me except if you're very evil. Is it because he is too nice? Why is that a problem?"

I don't kill him in game but I don't think he comes over as very nice either. More dismissive and arrogant.

I enjoy the dialog Edwin has with him, the "burning lavender eyes" and the "backflip of doom".
    So Drizzt survives but has to swallow some sarcasm, that seems fair enough.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    When I want to kill him it becomes: "He is drow, so he is evil. Kill him."

Also kill Viccy and Baeloth for the same reason.

Consistency!

And then act confused when Kivan complains. :open_mouth:
    SkaroseCrevsDaakAerakar
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    I was too late to rescue a band of peaceful gnolls from being slaughtered. but at least I avenged them!

"Thanks for the chainmail..." ~ Vic
    Contemplative_HamsterCrevsDaakKuronaAerakar
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Just realized, his corpse looks a lot like a Tasloi.
    SkaroseCrevsDaakAerakar