Skip to content

Immy - focus on picking pockets

In many run-throughs, Immy usually stats up the find traps/ pick locks abilities.
I'm concentrating more on picking pockets with this run and I'm quite happy with the results.
My PC has 18/00 str so pick locks is not a huge issue anyway.
I did not ignore Find Traps, Durlags merry-go-round would be cruel without some ability.
Quite a lot of nice kit to be had with picking pockets though.
Spell scrolls for example. For whatever reason, a hell of a lot of folks in Faerun are carrying around some pretty powerful spell scrolls.
Gems as well. Even the most destitute looking of the populace seem to be carrying a months wage in their pockets in gems.
Healing potions are plentiful, I guess farmer Brown needs to be prepared for Kobold ambush.
Of course some random chance meetings can provide anything from a magical item to a magical weapon and you will only get one chance to grab it unless you kill them (which induces a rep penalty).

In another play-through, I had Immy concentrate on snares. That was also a lot of fun.
Haven't found the value in concentrating on Detect Illusions in BG1 though, perhaps others have. A main PC in BG2 would I suspect.

M2C

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Detect Illusions is nice if you run SCS as there's previous few other ways to cut through illusion spells.

Set Trap is amazing and my favourite thief skill, I try to get 50 odd points on every thief before any other skills.

PP is good but it's so easy to manipulate rep in bg1 that I have no concern about murdering a few people to get what I want (RP concerns not withstanding).

This is why I prefer to run 2 multi/dual thieves in bg1.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I use pickpocketing alot in BG games. Even when playing a good-aligned char, I RP that my thief is scurrying off on his/her own, pickpocketing from ppl then coming back to the team saying "Hey, look what I've found! Five wedding rings of gold and a pouch of gold!". In BG2 it's pretty much mandatory for me to steal my way through Athkatla, but I try to not steal too good stuff to early since it breaks balance. Jan can take care of stealing with ease