Skip to content

A Wizard Slayer's Odyssey

Hey everyone, after the retirement of Morhild in Amn, I've had four more solo no-reload Wizard Slayers who failed to save the Sword Coast (one fell to the trap in Tazok's tent, two to Charms, and the last one couldn't keep Dukes Belt and Jannath safe from Sarevok's wrath). Stubborn as a donkey, I went on to roll yet another Wizard Slayer, and soon hit the jackpot: a 96 roll with 18/63 STR. Ironically, for a solo Wizard Slayer this is arguably an inferior roll to say a 78 roll with 18/00 STR, due to the unavailability of the STR tome below Candlekeep. I felt it would be a shame to just ignore the 96 roll, so I decided to go for a role-played party run, more like some of the runs I posted last year, and switch from no-reload to minimal reload if necessary (which is why I'm not posting in the no-reload thread).

Nurim Stonefist of Candlekeep
is generally a good sort, accomodating, hard-working, fairly sociable for a Dwarf, and with a fine - if raunchy - sense of humor that in Candlekeep is matched only by Winthrop's. But his good spirits tend to vanish with the mere mention of the topic of arcane magic. Nurim distrusts and disapproves of 'sorcery' (he calls all arcane magic 'sorcery', usually pronounced with contempt or concern in his voice, irrespective of who practices it). This aversion stems from his belief, shaped first and foremost by the abusive nature of Ulraunt who governs the citadel like a dictator but also by his history studies, that arcane magic does more harm than good and that it makes the more talented practitioners more powerful than is healthy for them, inevitably vitiating them.
Nurim has a special Know Alignment ability (2x/day), given to him by his matron deity Berronar Truesilver, It helps him detect the nature of wizards and other folk he has dealings with. Nurim won't act against good-aligned wizards he has no proof of abuse against, but wizards he identifies as evil with his Know Alignment ability, or wizards whose actions are overtly evil should not expect him to remain passive.

In Candlekeep Nurim always keeps his distance from anything arcane magic-related, preferring to read with the Monks and train with the Watchers. Thanks to the former he's quite the scholar (16 INT, 15 WIS), while the latter helped him become as strong as an ox and an able wielder of his weapon of choice: axes and throwing axes (two pips in Axes, two in dual-wielding).

Nurim won't accept the company of wizards in his party or even folk that sympathize with magic. But, to be clear, Nurim's misgivings about magic are strictly limited to the arcane. They do not concern the powers of priests bestowed upon them by their Gods or by nature, so priests will be welcome to associate themselves with him. I considered rolling a custom party but I think it's more interesting for Nurim to look for allies amongst the available NPCs and to try and build the best possible anti-arcane party with them.

I find the Wizard Slayer's inability to use enchanted bracers, jewelry or cloaks a bit arbitrary, especially considering the fact that armor or weapons with the exact same enchantments are prefectly usable. I'll roleplay that Nurim's fine with magical enchantments on weapons and armor that make the wielder/bearer a more formidable combatant (Dwarven smiths he cannot but respect excel at making those) but that it's a decision of his to refuse to use other magical trinkets rather than not being able to. Companions may use such items, at their own peril.
I'll also roleplay that Nurim doesn't know right away that he's a Wizard Slayer. He's never been part of an order that could give him any specific training towards combating magic, and none of the warriors in Candlekeep seems a Wizard Slayer. I'm not sure yet if/how his stance toward arcane magic will evolve.

There's not much to tell about Nurim's journey yet, except the following.

Yesterday Nurim left Candlekeep with his foster father, the sage Gorion, after an assassin poisoned the Dwarf. Nurim had to use Dreppin's antidote or die.
He chose to quaff the antidote that was not his.
On his way with Gorion another attack followed, mere hours from Candlekeep. A party led by a tall human warrior had demanded Gorion to hand Nurim over. Gorion refused and battle followed. Nurim took an arrow in the shoulder (reminding him he wanted better armor than his splint mail) and was told by Gorion to retreat. But his foster father's magics alone were not enough to subdue the warrior. The Dwarf witnessed from afar how Gorion was slain by the fighter. There was little he could do but hide and tend to his injury. With difficulty he removed the arrow, and when he drank a healing potion, his wound soon mended.

The next morning Imoen, a rogue and his childhood friend from Candlekeep, joined him. She told him she had followed Gorion and him. Nurim liked the lass, and was therefore glad to have her company.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Long live to Nurim! And long live to wizard slayers!

And a role-played party run!

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    This thread is going to be watched!

And you can totally get the tome. Get fire resistance, lightning resistance and free action to get through traps. Then pop a potion of giant strength and use draw upon holy might for 25 strength. Force open the lock with godly might for fun and profit.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Grum said:

And you can totally get the tome. Get fire resistance, lightning resistance and free action to get through traps. Then pop a potion of giant strength

This is the thing. A wizard slayer can't gulp this potion.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Grum said:

And you can totally get the tome. Get fire resistance, lightning resistance and free action to get through traps. Then pop a potion of giant strength and use draw upon holy might for 25 strength. Force open the lock with godly might for fun and profit.

Theoretically, with the motivations stated, he should reject the use of magical potions and such (made by evil alchemist wizards!). And I agree, bracers are a form of armor, so it is illogical that the kit is prohibited from using them.

I would like to know how he is going to RP SoA, since dear Imoen has become a thief->wizard. I suspect some rationalizations will be needed. In fact, he should be aghast when Gorion turns out to have arcane magic at his command. Raised by a closet wizard! Oh, the horror!

Wizard slayer is probably the worst designed warrior kit (I call it "wizard slain"). Having said all that, I can certainly see playing one for the challenge. Also, your exposition is well written and entertaining, so we will indeed be keeping track. Good luck!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Thanks @bengoshi and @Grum (I had to think of your awesome Durak when I decided to roleplay). As bengoshi said, strength potions are no-no for Wizard Slayers. Thankfully Nurim will have others to help him with the Candlekeep tomes.

@FrdNwsm, thank you too :)
    I'm undecided about Nurim's stance on alchemy. I've always seen it as more of a roguey pursuit. Potions of explosions, invisibility, speed etc are typical rogue 'weapons' for me, whereas wizards have little need for potions generally and I also like to imagine they're to busy studying scrolls, scribing, and practising spells. But I'm no connoisseur of the rules and I'm sure an argument can be made for alchemist wizards.
    Re: Gorion and Imoen: Nurim knew Gorion was a wizard even though he never before watched him use it. Imoen with her interest in magic will definitely furnish interesting role-playing potential.

Thanks @bengoshi and @Grum (I had to think of your awesome Durak when I decided to roleplay). As bengoshi said, strength potions are no-no for Wizard Slayers. Thankfully Nurim will have others to help him with the Candlekeep tomes.

@FrdNwsm, thank you too :)
    I'm undecided about Nurim's stance on alchemy. I've always seen it as more of a roguey pursuit. Potions of explosions, invisibility, speed etc are typical rogue 'weapons' for me, whereas wizards have little need for potions generally and I also like to imagine they're to busy studying scrolls, scribing, and practising spells. But I'm no connoisseur of the rules and I'm sure an argument can be made for alchemist wizards.
    Re: Gorion and Imoen: Nurim knew Gorion was a wizard even though he never before watched him use it. Imoen with her interest in magic will definitely furnish interesting role-playing potential.

Aye, I'd recommend bringing someone with you then for those locks. Imoen, who can 'come home' with Nurim. Once you have the tome you go pick her up and bring her safely back to Candelkeep. When you find out there are dopplegangers everywhere, you bring her with you out. I'd then drop her off with Thalantyr, especially if the anti-chickenator spell goes wrong. He'll need another apprentice and can keep her safe.

As for the potions: I'd use them. Because alchemy feels very dwarven to me. Dwarfs would use alchemy for everything from blasting powder to quickly cut a tunnel, to healing potions and strength potions. Picture a unit of dwarfs, each clad in mithril chainmail and carrying tower shields, defending a tunnel against a horde of goblins/kobolds. They reach to their belts and pull out potions of explosions. Sheltered behind their tower shields, they lob them like grenades and thin out the horde, before pushing forward as one, clearing the stragglers with axe and hammer.

Moreso...having a backup invisibility potion or two is invaluable. No need to end a solo run because you won't use the tools available.

All this said, I really hope that he makes it to SoA and gets the Brick and Bala's axe. Because a dwarven wizard slayer with a melee and throwing weapon of anti-magery. Just brilliant stuff right there.
    edited September 2015
    The Brick is in SoA; it's a weird weapon (literally a brick attached to a stick) made by one of the whackos in Neera's forest enclave. You won't find it automatically, but I can see how it might be useful to a wizard slayer, since it can interrupt an enemy mage's spellcasting.

You might also want to look for Lilarcor in SoA, the talking sword (+3, 2-handed) that confers immunity to charm and confusion. Just what the dedicated wizard slayer needs ... assuming you can stand all the wisecracks.

Obviously this is all a bit premature, since you have to get past Koveras and his lackeys first. Also, there is absolutely no reason not to keep Imoen all through BG1; a lot of folks dual her over to mage (I did, at level 8; her low Str and high Int practically scream for it) but you don't have to. Her conversion to mage occurs out of game, during the interval between BG and SoA.
    RP wise, I actually really like the idea of Nurim being trained in Candlekeep to fight against wizards. Wizards of all types comes to Candlekeep, and it is up to the Watchers to keep order. I'd imagine that a fair number of them are trained in the ways of dealing with grumpy, ornery, insane, evil and/or impolite mages that need to be firmly evicted.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    My own wizard slayer, Artin, is actually in ToB atm.

Granted, I ran with less stringent rules during BGEE and BG2EE. She was lawful good, and having been raised in Candlekeep, even though she was a dwarf and thus couldn't be a wizard, she loved Mystra. When she told the monks, they pointed her to the ancient order for wizard slayers who acted in Mystras name.

I used a shield for most of BGEE though if I recall correctly. And I picked up Xan and dual classed Imoen. After all, Gorion was a wizard, and was a good honorable sort.

It wasn't until SoA that I said no to all arcane casters who weren't Imoen, (my sister being the sole exception I'd allow). IIRC, Valygar, Mazzy, Keldorn, Immy and Anomen was my BG2EE party, since I screwed up and lost Rasaad early. Got Using Rasaad again in ToB.

But ya, I love the RP and the idea, I sorta wish I'd kept Jaheria. That said, even with AotU and Crom Faeyr for my dwarf, she definitely needs bodies in front of her nowadays, and usually Anomen isn't enough. I've considered restarting and doing a pure no-arcane game, but I really wanan get my blade and assassin going.

Good luck, and I hope that your posts inspire me to get back to Artin. Poor girl is still wallowing away in ToB =/
    @FrdNwsm, thanks for the info! Neera and the enclave are yet another source of interesting RP material. I remember there's also a nice anti-magic shield (Shield of Fyrus Khal) available there.

@Grum, I agree once again. But I had a RP'ed Half-Orc Wizard Slayer last year who was trained in in the art in Candlekeep, so I wanted something slightly different for Nurim. Hence my decision to make him initially unaware of his powers.

@Dragonspear, wow, thanks for sharing and for wishing me luck :) I really like your Wizard Slayer's background, very different from the concept I have for Nurim.
    I had the same weapon combo in mind, and I'm sorry to learn it's not that effective...

@Dragonspear, wow, thanks for sharing and for wishing me luck :) I really like your Wizard Slayer's background, very different from the concept I have for Nurim.
    I had the same weapon combo in mind, and I'm sorry to learn it's not that effective...

It's not that she isn't effective, but she's a health potion chugging melee dps by ToB, rather than the tank she originated as.

Honestly, almost all my characters are chain chugging potions at this point. Valygar is Mr McBackstab against most enemies. But getting Anomen buffed and in the front is definitely preferrable, and then having your boots of speed WS move in towards the casters.

Some disclaimers:
    the Amulet of the Seldarine can't be worn by Wizard Slayers in the latest patch. Therefore my current item setup is:

Axe of Unyielding (Upgraded, MH)
    Crom Faeyr (Offhand)
    Boots of Speed
    Helm of the Rock (Also fully upgraded I think)
    and I want to say it's Red Dragon Plate.

So ya, I think the biggest thing for her at this point is finding a better armor.

I THINK if I had gone evil instead of LG, I would have just gone with dual flails, so I could have rocked Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven.

TL;DR: Let your Anomen or Jaheria in first to attract most of the nasties, let rasaad (who still feels really underpowered), valygar and keldorn work on those minions.

Honestly, I never put keldorn on Artin's target. He's just dispel magic and true sight. Your WS WILL handle all casters fairly easily, but can't handle the mob rush, and can't afford to go through the mob to get to the casters.

I'm willing to help in anyway that I can though.
    Oh, and I probably would have gone with Warhammers over Axes at the start if I had to do it all over again.
    I personally can't stand Aerie. Definitely go with Anomen as a cleric for a good party. If you want to go with a magic resistance theme for a less-than-good crew, get Viconia as a cleric.
    @Grum and @FrdNwsm, BG2-Imoen and Aerie would be great additions and really make things easier, but at this point Nurim wouldn't trust either of them in his party. That might change with the evolution of his character though. Even so, I also might forgo them for the challenge of finding an effective party that doesn't rely on arcane magic whatsoever.
    I did have Rasaad, Valygar and Keldorn in mind for BG2, for the reasons Grum mentioned. Other candidates would be:
    - Cernd (lots of Druid spells, including the Insects stuff, and Werewolf form gives MR as well, 40%, which I believe is a base percentage instead of a fixed number with SCS Improved Shapeshifting),
    - Korgan (with his Berserker rage a solid anti-magic character),
    - Mazzy (mostly for her size and for her banter with the likes of Korgan and Valygar),
    - Viconia (MR plus clerical ability, but I think it's impossible to stop Keldorn and her from fighting so Anomen would probably be a more suitable party cleric).
    - Yoshimo (in ToB replaced with Sarevok dualed to Thief), or a custom or mod NPC Thief.

If I do a full, 'completionist' playthrough, possibly including Siege of Dragonspear, how much XP would I end up with, assuming a party of six? Would I come close the the cap?

As to late-game weapons and armor, @Dragonspear maybe upgraded Foebane would be a better main-hand weapon? Ten APR with GWW means (close to) nine Foebane Larloch's Minor Drains per round. With lots of Hardiness plus Defender of Easthaven in the off-hand for defense, being subject to physical attacks shouldn't be a big deal. And MR and Dwarven saves should reduce the threat of magic, leaving only elemental damage as something to worry about. I think armor (including helmets, shields) will have to be flexible there, depending on battles, and green scrolls might provide additional protection.
    Why did you say you'd go with FoA and DoE for an evil wizard slayer? For the +2 STR from hell? Nurim might or might not go that way.

Anyway thanks everyone for their interest, really fuels my enthusiasm for this playthrough. I hope to post an update soon :)
    @Blackraven

That's exactly why I'd go FoA/DoE if you go evil. I think the difference between 22 and 25 str by the time you get there is miniscule enough, that the extra defense of defender(and natural damage of FoA) leaves you a much more complete warrior, sooner (only having to focus on one weapon).

And I've definitely begun to prioritize elemental resist over AC at this point. My real issue with foebane (and to a similar degree, blackrazor which would likely be an amazing WS weapon) is that dwarves with swords don't work for me.
    Also, I think I'd favor jaheria over cernd.

So Keldorn, Valygar, Jaheria, Yoshimo and prolly Anomen.

Go go team right click!
    I agree, I prefer axes, hammers and flails as well for Dwarven warrior and think a bastard sword and a flail would be a particularly ugly combination. (I do dig short swords for Dwarven rogues btw.)
    Maybe I'll go for the versatility of specialization in different weapons and wait with grandmastery in one weapon type until later in the game.

Nurim is probably not going to be a big fan of Jaheira's personality, whose sneering should wear on his nerves sooner rather than later, but she is a useful character. Thanks once more @Dragonspear, for your input. Now let's see if I can get some time to actually get this adventure going :)
    edited September 2015
    Jaheira is a tank compared to Cernd, since she can wear any armor and gets more HP per level. Her main drawback is slow progression of levels as a multiclass, but the end results are worth the wait. By mid ToB she starts to get fighter HLAs as well as druid. Greater Whirlwind, good AC and summon deva/earth elementals? What's not to like? Oh and lets not forget that, unlike your average druid, she can RAISE THE DEAD. Also, there is a huge side plot in SoA involving her feud with the Harpers. You don't want to miss that.

Now, you could argue that you would have Cernd stay way in the back and just cast spells, and never get into melee. He would rise faster and get more spells than Jaheira, and in an emergency he can pull off greater werewolf. This is great if you can do it, but sometimes in swarms of foes you can't. The big monk melee at the end of Rasaad's quest comes to mind; a massive confused melee with enemy monks, assassins and spell casters all over the place.

GW form sounds good on paper; AC-6, 50% immunity to just about everything, and nobody is going to be running around with cold iron weapons. But you can only use this once a day, so it's an emergency measure. Unfortunately, this apparently does not make you immune to attacks by summoned creatures. I created a shapeshifter druid at the start of ToB, to check out the kit, and both Ilasera and her summoned Ogrillon were able to give me damage while in GW form. I had 100 HP at the start of the combat and ended up with 70. Nor was I doing all that much return damage; it took maybe 10-12 rounds to dispose of them both. 2-3 more opponents would have had me on the ropes. I'd have been much better off keeping my distance and summoning up some elementals to do the actual combat.

Mind you, with the proper gear, Cernd can do this; boots of the cheetah to avoid melee, improved invisibility, etc. So if you want to contend that you would still prefer Cernd over Jaheira, you can make a decent case. Playing style enters into the decision; I'd rather have someone who can plug a hole in the front line if the need arises.
    edited September 2015
    I understand your reluctance to have Aerie along, for RP reasons. Other folks like her, but I don't. My main objection to Aerie, aside from her personality, is that she is extremely weak. Arcane + spiritual spells is a nice combo, but aside from her slow progression due to being a multi, her stats are awful and she has too few HP. Almost anything can kill her. It's even worse if you have Minsc in the party, and he decides she will be his new "witch". When she dies, which can easily happen, Minsc goes berserk. This would be fine if he acted like the fighter class berserker kit, but he doesn't. You can't direct his anger toward a specific target, he just runs off after whatever catches his eye. So you end up with Aerie dead, and Minsc haring off and leaving a gap in your battle formation.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Great concept, @Blackraven

Wish you luck with the Wizard Slayer runs.
    (I have yet to reach Spellhold with a frontliner myself in all these years...)
    Ygramul said:

Great concept, @Blackraven

Wish you luck with the Wizard Slayer runs.
    (I have yet to reach Spellhold with a frontliner myself in all these years...)

By frontline, do you mean just Wizard Slayer, or any warrior kit? Berserker and Dwarven Defender seem obvious candidates.

Actually, with a decent supporting group, even Wizard Slayer should be easily able to get to Spellhold; it's only Ch 4 of SoA.
    Smart warrior, retreating to the temple and letting the guards take care of mage. He ruins far too many no-reload runs. Also, I always find it interesting seeing your accounts with your mods added. I thought to myself "Eldoth? How the heck was he there? Oh yeah, mods..."
    Nurim Stonefist, Dwarven Wizard Slayer, 2nd BG1 update

Nurim was in a cranky mood as he and his party departed from the Friendly Arm Inn that same evening to go and deal with Landrin’s Spiders in Beregost. Jaheira’s exigency to travel to Nashkel stressed him out, and he would much rather have got to know his new companions first over a few tankards of ale. He might even have told Khalid and Jaheira about the bounty hunters.
    Upon arrival in Beregost the party took lodgings at Feldepost’s Inn, which in spite of being the town’s poshest inn harbored an aggressive drunk they had to appease before they could finally enjoy their well-earned leisure. Khalid and Jaheira told Nurim and Imoen about how they had first met, and that they had traveled with Gorion in the past. This surprised Nurim. Granted, the two were Half-Elves, but still they looked much too young to him to be seasoned adventurers. At one point the Dwarf overheard Jaheira asking Imoen if she had ever noticed Nurim act oddly.
    This offended Nurim. He finished his ale and without saying a word he walked off and went looking for Landrin’s home. He found it occupied by four Huge Spiders. Unwilling to fight the creatures in a cramped space and expose himself to their venom, he ran outside. The Spiders followed him there. One by one they fell to the Dwarf’s throwing axes.

The party returned the next day to the Friendly Arm Inn where they were happy to receive hundreds of gold pieces from a very appreciative Landrin. As before, the companions didn’t rest at the inn but headed south again, pressed for time as they were to make it to Nashkel for their appointment with Berrun Ghastkill.

Just south of Beregost the party killed two Ogrillons. One of the monsters had carried a letter destined for one Mirianne, from her husband Roe. They found Mirianne in her home to the east of the town and with a Ring of the Princes were amply rewarded for handing her the letter.
    On the road again the party dispatched a band of Hobgoblins and they slew three Flaming Fist mercenaries who had neither believed Nurim’s claim of innocence nor fallen for Jaheira’s feeble attempts at dallying. Not that the latter fact surprised Nurim, for no sweet talking could detract from the Druid’s stern eyes and commanding voice.
    imageimage
    There was one upside though: free suits of plate mail for Khalid, Jaheira and Nurim.

In Nashkel Nurim learnt from an Amnian soldier that army captain Brage had killed his wife and children and headed for the hills. He also met with the mayor. Their meeting started off a bit strained, with Nurim demanding an explanation for how the mayor had known he would be coming with Jaheira. But then Jaheira took over in a way that wasn’t really to the Dwarf’s taste:
    In any event, the party agreed to investigate the disappearances of miners and the contamination of iron ore in the Nashkel Mines.

Before preparing for their journey however, the party explored the town a bit, and visited the nearby Carnival. Nurim took no advantage of a bounty handler who mistakenly took him for the notorious bounty hunter Greywolf. But the party did appropriate a suit of Ankheg armor that someone had carelessly left behind by the side of a field, when none of the local farmers claimed to be its owner.
    At the Carnival they perused the wares of several merchants and found a few scrolls and magical trinkets that seemed useful. But Nurim, deeply suspicious of magic and of any merchants offering it, vetoed the proposals of Imoen and Khalid to spend party gold - gold that had mostly been the proceeds of his efforts - on these items. Jaheira was becoming a spokeswoman of sorts for the party, but Nurim continued to see himself as the party leader.

At the Nashkel inn the companions were in for a nasty surprise, one that would teach Nurim to be more careful:

“Just fancy my luck seeing you stroll in here, bold as day. I expected a hunt and a chase from the description, but who am I to argue easy coins in the purse? May the Lord of Shadows guide you swiftly to your death!” said a human priestess.

“We would first know our attackers. Why are you doing this?” Jaheira was quick to overcome her surprise, and to demand answers.

“Who I am is unimportant, though my name is Neira. What I am, is a hunter of bounties, and on that Dwarf’s head is a lovely little sum. Does that satisfy your request?”

“What’ll satisfy me is seeing me axe stuck in yer skull!” shouted Nurim, as he launched one of his throwing axes at the woman. The priestess skillfully evaded the axe and started a chant, which Imoen and Jaheira took as a sign to follow Nurim’s example with their arrows and bullets. However, they failed to break their foe’s concentration. Nurim ordered his companions outside but Neira followed the party and she managed to Hold both Nurim and Khalid,
    and not much later Jaheira too.
    Thankfully a Monk who would later introduce himself as Rasaad,
    and an Amnian soldier intervened on the party’s behalf. Together with Imoen they tried to distract the priestess from her defenseless adversaries. Even so, the bounty huntress managed to hit Khalid several times until he collapsed shortly before the Hold effect wore off.
    imageimage
    It was the Amnian soldier who finished her off after that.
    Fortunately, a visit to the nearby Temple of Helm resulted in Brother Nalin patching up Khalid just fine. The priest also told the companions that he would like them to bring Commander Brage to the temple should they find him.

Rasaad spoke to the companions about his deity Selune and the Sun Soul order he was a member of, but it was his heroic intervention that earned himself a place in the party. Nurim in turn told Rasaad and the others that bounty hunters had been after him even though he had no idea who wanted him dead or why.

The companions had barely gone on their way to the Nashkel Mines when a Rashemaar Ranger named Minsc made them (even Jaheira) change their minds. He begged them to help him rescue what seemed to be his ward, a young woman by the name of Dynaheir, from a Gnoll stronghold to the west. Minsc appeared to be a devote follower of his pet hamster, which for Nurim meant that either the Ranger had lost his mind or perfidious sorcery was at work. Either way, the warrior’s plea seemed genuine and his distress great. The companions accepted Minsc in the party and followed the Ranger westward, through the Cloudpeak Mountains, to the Gnoll fortress.

They met few people in the green mountains, and the encounters they did have were rather bloody. Two woodworkers who were adamant on splitting a Dryad’s tree, two aggressive bandits, and numerous Gnolls and wild beasts (including winter wolves and great bears) all suffered the consequences of crossing the party. The companions coped relatively well with the long treks and the dangers of the wilds, with the exception of Rasaad, who was nearly killed by a bear and who expressed repeatedly that he wasn’t accustomed to the long hours of physical exertion.
    Before they reached the Gnoll hold, the companions returned to the civilization of Beregost, not only to give Rasaad the opportunity to practise his art in conditions more to his liking but also to get several enchanted items identified and sell some of them. Near the High Hedge, the Elven Ranger Kivan took Rasaad’s place, joining the party in battle against a pack of Gnolls.
    Kivan later explained that he intended to deal with the bandits that were troubling the Sword Coast in general, and with one bandit in particular, a fellow named Tazok. With his sense of purpose, his competence in battle, and a no-nonsense mentality the Elf wouldn’t take long in garnering the respect of Nurim.

Kivan slew a wolf southwest of Beregost, saving the life of the apprentice mage Melicamp who, somehow transformed into a hen, had become the wolf’s prey. Nurim offered to put the unfortunate apprentice out of his misery with a clean chop of his axe, but Melicamp himself implored the party to take him to master Thalantyr, the wizard who dwelled in the High Hedge west of Beregost. Most of the companions understood the precariousness of Melicamp’s situation. However, Nurim was loath to have dealings with the wizard Thalantyr, while Minsc was disinclined to accept yet another delay of his mission and besides ranted that Melicamp could live a worthwhile life as an intelligent animal, much like his hamster. After some debate both warriors eventually conceded, with Minsc understanding he had little choice but to adapt and Nurim to his own amazement being receptive to Kivan's description of his moral duty as a Ranger to aid those in distress, a duty the Elf believed applied to any honorable warrior.
    In any case, in the end the party’s effort was all in vain. Thalantyr failed miserably at his attempt to retransform Melicamp, killing his apprentice in the process. It only fueled Nurim’s mistrust of magic and it proved Minsc had been right after all.

The rescue of Dynaheir at the Gnoll fortress was, as such, a more successful operation. The companions battled their way past two Ogrillons, slew numerous Xvarts and picked up some treasure the runts had been guarding, and they routed the Gnolls with ease,
    only to find out that Minsc’s charge was a sorceress. It meant she could not join the party, and as a cosequence it also meant the end of Minsc’s spell with the group.
    Nurim, Imoen, Kivan and Khalid and Jaheira decided to travel northward and then east to Nashkel. This alternative route to Nashkel led the party past a Xvart village they sacked,
    an excavation site they protected for an archaeologist, and to the infamous commander Brage who turned out enthralled by a cursed blade. Remembering Brother Nalin’s words, the companions escorted the poor soul to the Temple of Helm in Nashkel where he would be given the chance to atone for his actions.
    And once again, a nice writing!

Seeing 3 party members of 4 held is a worrying sign, though. I'm sure that it felt even more worrying.
    bengoshi said:

And once again, a nice writing!

Thank you! It's what I hope to do with my reporting.
    bengoshi said:

Seeing 3 party members of 4 held is a worrying sign, though. I'm sure that it felt even more worrying.

Naah, no a sign, ol' Nurim learns from experiences like these :)
    Is it SCS that allows you to pull things outside like this? Or have you always been able to do it and I'm just learning something new?