Skip to content

When to switch your class while dual classing through BG1 and BG2

hey my first discussion.. but i was wondering if you export your dual class character to BGEE2 and you don't switch your class till the next game (ex. i have kensai, and would it be worth to get kensai to lvl 8 and then switch to mage in BGEE2 so i can maximize my kensai stats)

Comments

• FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited September 2015
    yes, many people usually do it between lv 9 and 13. It also depends if you dual to mage or thief. Thieves levels up quite faster than mage so you regain your kensai class faster. With mage you will need more XP to reach the same level. If you don't want to spend forever, I would dual around level 9.
  • zimskeeterzimskeeter Member Posts: 3
    sweet thnx for the tip
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Another tip is to remove party members when you scribe scrolls. That way you get all the thousands of XP for yourself and they add up fast.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited September 2015
    I thought about asking this same question myself, however after reading several threads on this forum regarding this exact issue, I found that much of the advice was divided. I eventually decided that in any dual-class, I had to ask myself exactly what I wanted out of my starting class. The lowest level at which I got what I wanted thus became my dual-class point.

Wanting everything out of your starting class is not a good idea. That's my two cents.

Dualing before level 11 will allow you to regain your kensai class after Irenicus' dungeon and before leaving Waukeen's promenade. 'Galoomp the Scroll Man' and 'Adventure Mart Magic Lady Whose Name I Can Never Remember' are holding over 500000xp in magical scrolls. Sell off the loot you get from the dungeon and buy Yoshimo all of the available thieving potions.

Your soul will die just a little from such cheesery, but it IS a way to make your dual classing instant, as far as the game is concerned.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Another real easy way to get a bit of XP is to complete the Promenade Circus Tent issue - it's pretty easy and gives you some solid experience. I think I did it on my flailing Berserker > Mage solo. Some magic missiles seem to be enough to kill what's-his-face (I guess people like me caused him to go on a killing spree, RIP)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

hey my first discussion.. but i was wondering if you export your dual class character to BGEE2 and you don't switch your class till the next game (ex. i have kensai, and would it be worth to get kensai to lvl 8 and then switch to mage in BGEE2 so i can maximize my kensai stats)

Just a friendly advice, make sure you dual for most benefit and least amount of trouble. For kensai, level 9 is a 'classic' level to dual from rather than at 8 as you mention in your post.

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    You need to understand the sweet spots to duel from. Fighter has several to choose from.

Level 7 - gains an extra attack
    Level 9 - gains an extra weapon proficiency
    Level 12 - gains an extra weapon proficiency
    Level 13 - gains an extra attack

And of course for each of those levels a fighter improves their THAC0 by 1 each time. Any of the above points is acceptable depending on your goal and how much time you are willing to spend in downtime in your new class.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    OP mentions he has a kensai, so you gotta take into account the additional benefits of that kit on top of the fighter basic benefits.