Skip to content

How can I dispel Insect Plague / cloud of bats?

I know how to prevent it, but how can I dispel it once affected (possibly using a different party member to do the dispelling). Keldorn's Inquisitor dispel did not seem to affect it...

Comments

• DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    I'm not aware of any way to get rid of it short of waiting it out. Where does the cloud of bats ability come from, I've never encountered it? Also, what are the ways you prevent it besides stopping the caster and moving the target away from the party? I know in SCS fire shield stops it but in vanilla I don't think there's any way?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Dispel magic can help here. But remember that this spell has a percentage of chances to actually work.
  • toxintoxin Member Posts: 57
    @DregothofTyr Cloud of Bats is a vampire ability in SCS. As if they weren't improved enough :smile:
    @bengoshi Considering Keldorn's level and his inquisitor 1.5X (SCS) Dispel level multiplayer I don't think percentage was the case when it failed, but I'll have to try a couple of more times to be sure. Will report my findings here if I have something.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Usually, a high level dispel magic should work. Unless scs sets the ability to be undispellable.

Spell immunity:conjuration OR invocation may work to make your casters immune to it. Or use spell deflection, spell turning etc. These may or may not work.
    Fire shields also block such insects and maybe the bats (if they use the same opcode) in one optional component of scs. Again, may or may not work.

If you have a dispelling weapon, like the staff of the magi, carsomyr or arrow of dispelling, simply attack the afflicted with it to dispel. It will also dispel all protections, however. SCS may change the dispelling weapon to allow a save vs spell to avoid it, though.
    Thanks lunar, I'll give your suggestions a shot next time (which will hopefully be in a long time :))
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited September 2015
    I think there might be a problem with the implementation (or my interpretation) of Insect Plague:
    According to my 2e handbook it's supposed to last for 2 rounds/level of caster, yet when recently the point man in my party was targeted by IP in the Druid Grove (I think) it seemed to last forever. He had boots of speed on so could outrun it - round and round the map for about ten minutes of real time (while other party members chucked dispel magic him/it) before I managed to manoeuvre the party to edge of the map and travel to another map area and back again, only to find the swarm still waiting for me at my arrival point. The only way to get rid of it was for my character stand still, chugging healing potions, and wait for it to stop.

My conclusion from this is that the 'clock' on the spell's duration only starts counting down when the swarm first inflicts damage on the target - is this the intended effect?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Not half as surprised as I was!!! I even reloaded the auto save and rested in the other area before returning - same result.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Well Fire Shield might be a little too late once affected - you'll have to succeed in *casting* it :)
    Interesting call on Gust of Wind though - the description doesn't mention it but I'll give it a shot!
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    toxin said:

Well Fire Shield might be a little too late once affected - you'll have to succeed in *casting* it :)
    Interesting call on Gust of Wind though - the description doesn't mention it but I'll give it a shot!

You can always cast it with the Staff of Fire. If you has it. :smile:
    I don't have it yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.