Skip to content

What party members can you begin SoD with?

2»

Comments

• LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

Lateralus said:

You just crushed me bro. He's no where near as cool now.

Humans are just as cool as dwarves. Character > race.
    I guess so. I never met a Middle Earth or Forgotten Realms Dwarf or Elf but If the humans in those fantasy worlds are like us, then they are very boring.
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    Moczo said:

Lateralus said:

So like wouldn't it be cool if SoD not only became a wonderful link between two epic adventures surrounding the protagonist. But also clarified many NPC changes, BG2 items (Immies belt, etc.), and motivations (Quayle running off to join the circus, etc.). Obviously, the characters that have the actual voice actors will get the most story telling and rightfully so. But a few well typed sentences can go a loooong way.

"Hey, Charname! Check out this sweet belt."

"Damn, girl, you killin' that thing. Wanna send Quayle off to the circus?"

"Fuck yeah."

*BROFIST*
    I laughed my ass off just now.

Moczo said:

Lateralus said:

So like wouldn't it be cool if SoD not only became a wonderful link between two epic adventures surrounding the protagonist. But also clarified many NPC changes, BG2 items (Immies belt, etc.), and motivations (Quayle running off to join the circus, etc.). Obviously, the characters that have the actual voice actors will get the most story telling and rightfully so. But a few well typed sentences can go a loooong way.

"Fuck yeah."

*BROFIST*
    It's perfect. But, one other option would be something like an encounter with a circus caravan with an Aerie cameo. Maybe uhhhh Safana might get seduced in a bar by a hairy biker dude. And Garrick could get beat up by a roving band of Xvarts and dragged away and painted blue.
    edited October 2015
    Lateralus said:

Moczo said:

Lateralus said:

"Fuck yeah."

*BROFIST*
    It's perfect. But, one other option would be something like an encounter with a circus caravan with an Aerie cameo. Maybe uhhhh Safana might get seduced in a bar by a hairy biker dude. And Garrick could get beat up by a roving band of Xvarts and dragged away and painted blue.
    Tiax falling for the old Cowled Wizard "Magical Deviant Job Fair" trick.
    Post edited by madmaximus on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Judge me, but the thought of Beamdog writing lines for the original NPC's scares me.
    WinterisleMortianna
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    So you have been Judged, @DJKajuru.

Actually, Beamdog can write dialogue that fits in quite well. In BG1ee and BG2ee, they've already added dialogue to some of the original NPCs, for their interactions with the EE NPCs. What they added was (at least mostly) quite in-character for the original NPCs.

I'd worry more about the lines for new NPCs, where there isn't an existing pattern upon which to base their speaking style. I think Beamdog succeeded in making Rasaad and Dorn and Baeloth (and mostly also Hexxat) talk like FR characters ... but Neera talks too much like a contemporary real-life North American, her dialogue-writer didn't capture the FR idiom so well.

[Note: I'm not dissatisfied with Neera overall, I think her story and quests and locations are adequate in BG1ee and good in BG2ee ... it's just her dialogue which I find rather jarring.]
    DJKajuru
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2015
    @Gallowglass , I had problems accepting Neera , Baeloth and Dorn (they sound like kids cartoon characters to me) . I don't know who wrote their stories or how experienced they are, but to me it was indeed quite different from the original BG characters.

Well, I'll change my statement from prejudice to constructive criticism, then : I hope to see Beamdog show some writing improvement , after all, the dialogues and characters developed I'm criticising are from 3 years ago.

Mortianna
    DJKajuru said:

@Gallowglass , I had problems accepting Neera , Baeloth and Dorn (they sound like kids cartoon characters to me) . I don't know who wrote their stories or how experienced they are, but to me it was indeed quite different from the original BG characters.

Well, I'll change my statement from prejudice to constructive criticism, then : I hope to see Beamdog show some writing improvement , after all, the dialogues and characters developed I'm criticising are from 3 years ago.

They seem okay to me, I mean I'm not looking for pulitzer prize winning writing here. Black Isle always had a sense of humor, like the reference to the Bob Newhart show and a lot of other little jokes. So I mean, these games are not meant to be taken literally or seriously, but obviously you don't want to go to far astray.

Personally, I could do without the Bob Newhart/Rockie and Bullwinkle references and such but BeamDog has A LOT of wiggle room before anybody should feel like they are compromising the integrity of the franchise.

If you want to play the game seriously I recommend Torment. It's like reading a great novel and BEING in it. BG and IWD have always felt like games first, books second. Torment is the ultimate balance of both.
    DJKajuru
    Lateralus said:

DJKajuru said:

They seem okay to me, I mean I'm not looking for pulitzer prize winning writing here. Black Isle always had a sense of humor, like the reference to the Bob Newhart show and a lot of other little jokes. So I mean, these games are not meant to be taken literally or seriously, but obviously you don't want to go to far astray.

Personally, I could do without the Bob Newhart/Rockie and Bullwinkle references and such but BeamDog has A LOT of wiggle room before anybody should feel like they are compromising the integrity of the franchise.

If you want to play the game seriously I recommend Torment. It's like reading a great novel and BEING in it. BG and IWD have always felt like games first, books second. Torment is the ultimate balance of both.
    Agreed!

And I like most of the NPC's, thought BAeloth was great, Dorn too. Rasaad was good, I don't care for monks (think it's silly to have a character try to kick someone in plate mail wielding an axe) but his story was good and it fit FR. Hexxat was ok, good thief for sure and not a terrible story. Neera was absolutely dreadful if I wanted to hangout with a hipster chick I'd go to a coffee shop, doesn't belong in the Bhaalspawn saga.
    Abel
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Another perspective, I quite enjoyed Neera's storyline and dialogue. She's a mage in training who seems to have everything go wrong, has been on the road alone and on the run for a while and is what I would call a "free spirited" character. I think the dialogue fit well with the concept of young good hearted wild mage with out of control magic powers.

To me, it felt like it was an alternate to "Heya, it's me, Imoen" and her constant light hearted dialogue etc.

I'll agree, it was in a different style to the original characters. But new isn't always bad.
    Abelcmk24JuliusBorisov