Skip to content

NPC d20 rolls

Maybe it's just confirmation bias, ms remembering what I want to, or whatever... but I swear that enemies in BG have much better luck on d20 rolls than average. Has anyone ever looked into this? My guys regularly are streaking in single digit rolls and have rolled 3 1s in a row twice in the last few days. Meanwhile I never see enemies rolling 6-7 sub-10s in a row against me, and the 1 in 8000 chance of getting 20d 3x in a row has happened to me 3 times in as many days :(

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yeah
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Cheating on the "dice" seems to be a common way of enhancing AIs.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It reminds me of my early days with BG1 , WhenI got my Paladin all dressed up with plate mail and shield . Just to get him shot by countless critical hits by bloody Kobolds at Nashel Mines...
    lolienCalmar
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    For what it's worth, I just had Mazzy swing non-magical short swords at a high-level Monk 173 times. Average roll was 9.815.
  • fischsemmelfischsemmel Member Posts: 40
    I don't know if that's statistically significant or not. It's been a long time since undergrad :)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    NWN2 is awful for this behaviour. You spend time and effort optimising your PC so that you can only be hit on a 20 and then you can guarantee that at least once every combat you will get hit.
    edited September 2015
    Well, unless your combat only lasts a couple rounds against 1-2 enemies, it isn't surprising if you get nat 20'd once per fight. I can't complain about seeing a couple 20s when 10 kobolds are making 25 attacks before I kill them all. It's the improbable streaks of low rolls for me and high rolls for enemies that drive me nuts. Seems like I NEVER go toe to toe with a BBEG and roll 16 18 16 20 20 wirh my charname, but he will regularly see those rolls made against him while rolling nothing over 10 himself.

As I said, it may just be my brain doing what human brains tend to do. But i was still curious if anyone had ever looked into the code to see if it is a legit d20 system or if there are extras programmed in to rig rolls in certain (or all) situations.
    I think @Troodon80 has addressed this before.

I think @Troodon80 has addressed this before.

Well I did search some before I posted, without luck. After your post, I considered skimming his comments and decided that would be stupid, tried to use the forum search some without any luck, and got grumpy that I couldn't find (or that there isn't) an advanced search on these forums before giving up entirely.

Thanks though.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @fischsemmel @FinneousPJ,

I think this is the relevant topic?
    JuliusBorisov
    @Troodon80 Probably yes. I remembered a bit wrong, but still relevant to the RNG.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I edited the first-level cleric spell Doom to apply a -2 luck modifier to the target. It is amazing how much a simple -2 to luck interferes with combat effectiveness in this game.
    Troodon80 said:

@fischsemmel @FinneousPJ,

I think this is the relevant topic?

Lol at the guy who said "I've never failed to scribe a spell."

To be fair though, you can explain away spell scribing issues with "well the notations in manual and game are wrong on accident." But you can't explain away d20 rolls being rigged ever. It's basically the foundation of DND, and everyone knows it.