Skip to content

How much do you role play your NPCs?

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
When I play I generally try to make my NPCs stay in character so there are some things they are capable of doing that I don't let them do. For example:

1. I never let Alora or Imoen backstab anyone. I keep Alora for picking pockets and opening locks (if I was really staying in character I would make Alora forget to check for traps first but you can take things too far)

2. I never let Minsc use spells. He just doesn't seem the spell-caster type to me. I also don't let him use missile weapons. After all he doesn't say: "Minsc leads! Bows for everyone!".

3. Jaheira always heals Khalid before anyone else; Viconia always heals herself first.

How about everyone else, do you try to keep your NPCs true to themselves?

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    I'm sure @Shin will know from heated IWD topics, I don't care much for rping. XD

But I will sacrifice power gaming for Viconia and Minsc anyday. Kaigain is epic but he's a git. :P My BG:EE team looks like this now, me, Safana, Minsc, Viconia, Shar-Teel and Xzar. Might swap one of them out for Ajantis.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

3. Jaheira always heals Khalid before anyone else; Viconia always heals herself first.

This.

My paladin takes all the healing last, Minsc will always abandon his post if one of the ladies is threatened, that sort of thing.

• Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    I did`nt RP much in BG 1 or 2, i started doing that when i played NWN, When in the first expansion my pally got the choice to submit to slavery or take a little bit of damage he took damage until he died.
    Doing evil this time around so BR:EE will be RP`d, but possibly just PC, not the NPC`s.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I usually don't do any major RP calls in combat - like in Viconia's case I reason that being a member of the party is all that stands between her and being a lone, hunted outcast on the surface again, something she's well aware of - so she does her best to keep everyone alive, even if it may not always be what she wants. I.e. if Kivan is very injured and she is only a little bit injured, she'll heal Kivan first unless the current situation calls for another decision.

But yeah, I also don't let Minsc cast spells or use ranged weapons.. I always respec him into mainly 2H swords and longswords rather than bows to better suit his character.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    I don't roleplay fights but i've never given Minsc a bow - doesn't suit his personality. Jaheira hasn't swung a sling in her life. If the situation called for prudence she cast spells (I mostly saw it as a waste to keep a fighter in the second row but it could be explained by her very assertive personality... bordering on domineering; :D) For the same reason I've never used Tenser's or DuHM on Aerie. I can't see her aggressively rushing in to bash someone over the head.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I do tend to 'roleplay', more or less, according to character concept. If by that we mean behave in character with the concept. Yeah, definitely.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    I always roleplay them hard:)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm ashamed to say I don't roleplay the npc's, but it's an inspiring thread to read.
  • CharlytanCharlytan Member Posts: 27
    lol I wouldn’t say that I roleplay as hardcore as you. o.o’ Purposely not disarming a trap is just too much, but it does sound like fun, lol.

Mmm, the furthest in roleplaying that I’ve done would be splitting my group into two, or sometimes have members walk off to do their own thing, while the rest of the party moves elsewhere. Specifically if there’s arguments going on; if one accidently performs friendly fire; or if they (roleplaying as them) believe that it would be better to take another route.

I’m not sure if I’m explaining it as thoroughly as I should, since it does seem odd trying to describe what I do.

Easiest way to put it: “I treat it like a soap opera doll house!” O.O
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    I wouldn't say that I "roleplay" my NPCs. They do that theirselves with their witty comments and.. all the confusion, fear and what not happening. Seriously. A level 4 paladin with protection vs evil got feared and ran off in the middle of combat. I was like "WTF?", but let it pass..

Buffing Minsc up and throwing him far ahead into combat, then toggling the Berserk on has been quite effective. While rest of the party supports him with ranged weapons, that is.

And you people spoke of Restricting Weapons on NPCs. Well, I do tend to use the ones which they are specialized with, of course (logical?), but against low level encounters it's easy and risk free to use a single Control spell and then have everyone shoot at the foes (Even Minsc.) - except characters with shields (Cleric uses a sling, okay, but Paladin just stands there like a.. well, paladin), due to how retarded the quick weapon system was. I usually notice that I need tactics to survive combats, can't possibly start screwing around with RP there.

But I do always pick the choises what make sense in conversations. From my character's POV, that is.