Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

PSVita RPG suggestions.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,383
So I came into ownership of a Vita when a friend gave me his old one after he bought a newer slim one or somesuch thing. Anyway, I'm not much of a JRPG person as I enjoy creating my own character and being able to influence the story in someway. After a lot of discussion with my friend I bought Final Fantasy IX and am loving it, not as an RPG but just as a good story with great characters.

Anyway, does anyone know of any WRPG-like games on the Vita? I know it's the wrong system to ask for such things but I stumbled across a game called Elminage Original and love it currently. It's a Wizardry clone and even though the rules are terrible explained I can basically learn everything I need to know by looking up stuff from Wizardry XD

Anyway, so any other cool "create your own character/party" dungeon crawlers or just RPGs in general that feel like a western styled RPG?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,332
    You could try Dungeons & Dragons Tactics. Since it's an PSP title, it should also play on the PS Vita.

We all can agree that it's not one of the better D&D games. But at the very least it let's you play as an Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, and even as a Psion and Psychic Warrior. Which pretty much makes it the only D&D title with playable psionics aside from the old Dark Sun games.

Another title which may interest you is Dragon's Crown.

It's an JRPG that is heavily influenced by D&D. It even got beholder-like monsters, owlbears, faeries, mermaids and even killer rabbits of Caerbannog, amongst other oddities. The Sorceress/Wizard playable characters also can raise undead minions out of adventurer corpses that could be relevant to your interest.

Vallmyr
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,383
    D&D Tactics is awesome! Not the greatest but not the worst. I had it on my original PSP though it looks like it never got uploaded to the PSN eshop-thing so I'll have to continue to play it on my old PSP (CURSE YOU NON-BACKWARDS CAPABILITIES!).

Also, Dragon's Crown looks great! I know it got a lot of flak for "oversexualized character design" but I like the rest of the art-style so I can ignore the Amazon and Sorceress's character design. And also, I can definitely imagine a sorceress being seductive especially if she's the enchanter type.

ALSO IS THAT A TINY FAIRY COMPANION GIRL!? SHE'S ADORABLE!

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,017
    Dragon Crown looks like the old school Arcade Dungeons And Dragons game. Side scroller with very linear story line. Hmmm.

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,383
    I also plan to pick up Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together as I greatly enjoyed Final Fantasy: Tactics due to its D&D-like combat. I hear the game has branching story paths and even a Necromancer class on the Chaotic route.

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Vallmyr said:

I also plan to pick up Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together as I greatly enjoyed Final Fantasy: Tactics due to its D&D-like combat. I hear the game has branching story paths and even a Necromancer class on the Chaotic route.

Both games are excellent, but Final Fantasy Tactics might lag when you characters cast magic. It did in the PSP without some necessary modding; not sure if it will on the Vita.

Vallmyr
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,017
    I'm not sure how "RPG" it is, but I had great fun with the Xmen: Legends 1&2 and the Marvel Ultimate alliance games for the PSP. There's a kind of RPG element I guess in that you can change up their gear and you decide what powers they increase. Ok, that's a bit on the weak side, but the games are still loads of fun.