Skip to content

PSVita RPG suggestions.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
So I came into ownership of a Vita when a friend gave me his old one after he bought a newer slim one or somesuch thing. Anyway, I'm not much of a JRPG person as I enjoy creating my own character and being able to influence the story in someway. After a lot of discussion with my friend I bought Final Fantasy IX and am loving it, not as an RPG but just as a good story with great characters.

Anyway, does anyone know of any WRPG-like games on the Vita? I know it's the wrong system to ask for such things but I stumbled across a game called Elminage Original and love it currently. It's a Wizardry clone and even though the rules are terrible explained I can basically learn everything I need to know by looking up stuff from Wizardry XD

Anyway, so any other cool "create your own character/party" dungeon crawlers or just RPGs in general that feel like a western styled RPG?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    You could try Dungeons & Dragons Tactics. Since it's an PSP title, it should also play on the PS Vita.

We all can agree that it's not one of the better D&D games. But at the very least it let's you play as an Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, and even as a Psion and Psychic Warrior. Which pretty much makes it the only D&D title with playable psionics aside from the old Dark Sun games.

Another title which may interest you is Dragon's Crown.

It's an JRPG that is heavily influenced by D&D. It even got beholder-like monsters, owlbears, faeries, mermaids and even killer rabbits of Caerbannog, amongst other oddities. The Sorceress/Wizard playable characters also can raise undead minions out of adventurer corpses that could be relevant to your interest.
    Vallmyr
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    D&D Tactics is awesome! Not the greatest but not the worst. I had it on my original PSP though it looks like it never got uploaded to the PSN eshop-thing so I'll have to continue to play it on my old PSP (CURSE YOU NON-BACKWARDS CAPABILITIES!).

Also, Dragon's Crown looks great! I know it got a lot of flak for "oversexualized character design" but I like the rest of the art-style so I can ignore the Amazon and Sorceress's character design. And also, I can definitely imagine a sorceress being seductive especially if she's the enchanter type.

ALSO IS THAT A TINY FAIRY COMPANION GIRL!? SHE'S ADORABLE!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Dragon Crown looks like the old school Arcade Dungeons And Dragons game. Side scroller with very linear story line. Hmmm.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I also plan to pick up Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together as I greatly enjoyed Final Fantasy: Tactics due to its D&D-like combat. I hear the game has branching story paths and even a Necromancer class on the Chaotic route.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Vallmyr said:

I also plan to pick up Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together as I greatly enjoyed Final Fantasy: Tactics due to its D&D-like combat. I hear the game has branching story paths and even a Necromancer class on the Chaotic route.

Both games are excellent, but Final Fantasy Tactics might lag when you characters cast magic. It did in the PSP without some necessary modding; not sure if it will on the Vita.
    Vallmyr
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'm not sure how "RPG" it is, but I had great fun with the Xmen: Legends 1&2 and the Marvel Ultimate alliance games for the PSP. There's a kind of RPG element I guess in that you can change up their gear and you decide what powers they increase. Ok, that's a bit on the weak side, but the games are still loads of fun.