Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

New Feature! OGG support!

NathanNathan Member Posts: 990
edited November 2012 in General Modding
Hey everyone, I just wanted to take a minute to inform you all of a great feature that we've added to the game for those who mod (and in general for the players as well)!

BG:EE will allow OGG Vorbis support, directly in-engine, both for SFX/Voice assets as well as in the music system! You should be able to create OGGs at any sample rate, be it 8, 11, 22.5, 44.1, 48, 96kHz or possibly higher (note: only 8 or 16 bit audio though), and the game will gracefully handle you dropping that into the engine.

For those not familiar with OGG Vorbis, it's basically like mp3 only better and open-source! Win-win situation all around. If you want a decent encoder, for windows I'm a big fan of OggdropXP - it's simple, no fuss, and has lots of great options. For every other operating system there are plenty of other options, you can check it out here: http://www.vorbis.com/

The way we had to hook into the engine (and still allow backwards compatibility!) is a little different, so let me explain:
-For SFX and Voice - create your OGG's and just rename the .ogg extension to ".wav"
-For Music - create your OGG's and rename the .ogg extension to ".acm"

The existing structure and method of implementation is unchanged, and fully backwards compatible with everything else already there.

Another item of interest as a result of this: the HQ Music mod by Erephine is now included by default with BG:EE, and better yet since we're working directly with her on a few things I've re-encoded all the original WAV rips in OGG form at decent quality. Something we'll look into is providing an additional max quality (Q10 OGG encode) download of the music assets for people that want to have the best of the best - it won't be included in the game by default for space considerations (remember: we have to cram this game onto tablets...!) but we still want to allow people the choice.

Enjoy, and if you have any questions about how this will work please just let me know!

Post edited by CameronTofer on
BerconTanthalasCuvAndreaColomboRabainJamesFake_SketchDiscoCatlekikinou33sanctvsRisingsuncmorganCleaveWardLekianAvenger_teambgWulfyAscension64neleotheszeDragonserpentdosentti666MajocaKirinaldomibblesXylinaMoiraSpace_hamsterArchaonEpitomyofShynesskcwiseCloutiersalomonkaneserabietMosesHallkilroy_was_herewaiceSneakyDumplingXanastIranicusAnduinRaklinGoddardseekaRaistlin82KirkorCandramelekhSyntia13KenjiDarksheerxxxsmb1987xxxNielsKunddahlGodKaiserHellCluasKerozevok

Comments