Skip to content

A new screenshot approaches!

Comments

• Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    @Jaxsbidgie: Why do you think its not finished, they even changed the clock.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600

@Jaxsbidgie: Why do you think its not finished, they even changed the clock.

ha ha ha ha
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    Great collection of new screen shots! Thank you for showing the UI with the expanded text box. I was hoping you could do that.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    Bit surprised about all the fuss, I think the GUI screenshot looks great.
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    two major problems with the new ui for me are the borderless portraits and the small message box
    those I can cope with since I usually close the left panel completely
    the colour choice isn't great but its okay for my standard..
    But I'm sure some artists or modders will come out with new UI
    that's one of the main thing in BGEE rite?
    a modifiable user interface?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited September 2012
    I think the new GUI is very pretty - it takes some getting used to the portraits without "hard" borders and I don't particularly like the font, but overall, it looks very refreshing and familiar at the same time. Can't wait to see the zoom mode in action.

I don't know if anyone already said that (didn't read the whole discussion so far), but does anyone else think that the new NPC portraits are actually mashing well with the old ones? I was surprised. The Dorn portrait is my favorite and I'm actually using it for my Half-Orc Berserker on my current BG2 game.

P.S.: I don't mind the blue. Actually, I like it a lot. Feel free to bash me for that.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Silence said:

Xzar is in their party, but Montaron is not. Looks like the Devs also don't like the idea of NPCs as part of a 'package deal'.

I remember reading somewhere in the AmaA that NPC "mandatory" pairs are still a thing. The pre-packaged TotSC party also had Jaheira and Minsc without Khalid and Dynaheir.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Kilivitz said:

Silence said:

Xzar is in their party, but Montaron is not. Looks like the Devs also don't like the idea of NPCs as part of a 'package deal'.

I remember reading somewhere in the AmaA that NPC "mandatory" pairs are still a thing. The pre-packaged TotSC party also had Jaheira and Minsc without Khalid and Dynaheir.
    Yes, it also had Viconia, Edwin and Imoen - every returning NPC in BG2.
    It's a conspiracy.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    Kilivitz said:

I think the new GUI is very pretty - it takes some getting used to the portraits without "hard" borders and I don't particularly like the font, but overall, it looks very refreshing and familiar at the same time. Can't wait to see the zoom mode in action.

I don't know if anyone already said that (didn't read the whole discussion so far), but does anyone else think that the new NPC portraits are actually mashing well with the old ones? I was surprised. The Dorn portrait is my favorite and I'm actually using it for my Half-Orc Berserker on my current BG2 game.

P.S.: I don't mind the blue. Actually, I like it a lot. Feel free to bash me for that.

It would be nice, though, if they offer a more colorized version of both Dorn and Neera, as they look almost done in grayscale.

I'm with you on the blue stone. And I even like the shiny bas relief gold border now. At first I thought it would be distracting. But with the rich hi-res look of the graphics it dresses the game up and seems like it totally belongs.

And ditto what you said about the zoom feature.

As it appears that they have fully delivered in the graphical improvements so professionally, my hopes are higher than ever that new content is going to be excellent as well.

This is a huge relief. I was frankly a little worried about the fate of this project if there was no appreciable improvement in the graphics. But it looks like that is going to be a solid win.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I'll be honest with you. I can't notice a difference in graphics, maybe it's my eyes, but it looks how it looked back then in a CRT monitor O_o

I will also need to stop studying for a while and sleep, i'm seeing weird patterns instead of graphics lol :P
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    None of the new screenies show a 'zoomed in' view do they?
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    @Mornmagor Install BG1&2 on your current PC and you'll notice.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Fake_Sketch The difference is HUGE! The pixelated NPCs are smooth now. SMOOTH. OMFG SMOOTH NPCS! Now I can zoom in and check out Viconia in HD!
    I think i'll need to see it while running to really notice the difference.

I mean the game running, not me :P
    @Mornmagor Trolololololol!
    I think i discovered a new trend.

The next generation of Baldur's Gate. Now, you play it while you run doing cardio in the gym!

Hard work does pay off.

O_o
    @Mornmagor "Okay ladies, now we're going to SHAKE that bottom!"

And one.
    And two.
    And three.

KILL THAT OGRE.

And five.
    And six.

PICK OPTION 4 TO GET A QUEST.
    edited September 2012
    @Ward Ahahahah :P

If you die in game, the treadmill stops and you hit the wall face first.

Plus, you're mocked by the whole gym as the guy who died in BG:EE.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @Ward
    Hahaha
    I've been meaning to work out more. Finding a way to do it hands-free so I can play Baldur's Gate in the meantime might be very beneficial to it.
    On the other hand, I might destroy my muscles with 5 hour workouts, completely ignoring my physical limits (which is more akin to 5 minutes)
    Don't you see, you play BG like that and then you can take Sarevok 1vs1 and kick his ass all over the place in real life!
    BG virtual reality googles?
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Kerozevok said:

For the guys (or the girls..) who don't like the blue UI, what do you think of this ?

http://nsa30.casimages.com/img/2012/09/11/120911074534708582.jpg

On this screen, I take in account the limitation of the engine and files format, I also reworked the greystone texture from BG1.

Looks good to me.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    @Kerozevok I'll take it! like it much better then the blue (sorry guys i really do)
    @kerozevok Make one without the ugly gold borders.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012

• New, high resolution GUI.
      The Graphic User Interface (GUI) has been completely unhardcoded, thus making it possible to overcome its inherent limitations in terms of resolution. Beamdog / Overhaul Games are currently working on a brand new, high resolution GUI drawn by BG:EE's Art Director Nat Jones and fellow artist Madoline Bee, which will be customizable / moddable to a generous extent (some limits still apply due to the original BG code's resilience to Cameron Tofer's attacks; hopefully, Cameron will manage to find a silver-coated machete with which to treat the old code post-ship, further expanding the GUI's customizability).
    Looks like there's almost certain to be lots of customization options available for the GUI, so I think most everyone should be able to find something they like.

• KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2012
    @Koson @Gloomfrost @Ward... Ok, I keep the texture, i wait to see others screens (character sheet, inventory, worldmap, store..) to decide what i will do exactly. I'll post others screens before made the mod.

@Lemernis Believe me, make a GUI mod is not a easy task for someone who has never used DLTCEP/NIinf.
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    Am I the only one who thinks the UI could look more "modern"? Not that I dislike the vintage look of the new UI at all, but I was hoping for a little bit more of transparency effects... like ... a completely transparent UI kinda like the one in neverwinter nights.

Also, why didn't they include the fully customizable quickbar standard to Baldur's Gate? There's so many unused place on the UI that could be used for spell quickslots...
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited September 2012
    Personally I'd rather a repeated (pattern) tile than a mirrored one.