Skip to content

Planned Obsolescence?

If SOD is the prequel of BG2, then wouldn't our new gear become obsolete once we complete SOD and import our character over to BG2? It's like, wow we got all this cool new armour and weapons and stuff, game ends, okay, goodbye new items and stuff?

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i hope there won't be too many new magical items.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    deltago said:

Allegedly, some items will be carrying over to BG2:EE.

Where did you learn of said alleged information?
    bob_veng said:

i hope there won't be too many new magical items.

why not?
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    To me, an exciting background-story to an item is much more thrilling than groundbreaking mechanical benefits. I'm fine with those +1 Atk or AC items that grant some litte saving throw bonus or cast a spell once per day.
    Dragonspearrecklessheart
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Have a look at the Q&A video you can find on Youtube. Beamdog says some items will be carried over BG2
    johntylcmk24
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'm guessing they're going to add some Dragonspear items to the transferable item lists in BG2. Hopefully they'll also add some Dragonspear items to BG2 overall. Get rid of some of the bland +1 loot and give a few of those mini-bosses new toys to play with, I say!
    JuliusBorisovDragonspear
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I just hope that we get to have the dragonspear and carry it over to BG2. Would be awesome to have people actually use spears.
    JuliusBorisovjohntyl
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited October 2015
    Grum said:

I just hope that we get to have the dragonspear and carry it over to BG2. Would be awesome to have people actually use spears.

Still not likely to happen as long as off-hand cheese exists. I mean, BG2 has Halcyon, Spear of the Unicorn, Impaler, and Spear of Withering, and ToB has Ixil's Spike. All great weapons, but not easily abused weapons.
  • I'm just hoping the Bard's Hat will make it into BG2EE; my Skald would love to be able to get some other actions in besides singing.
    JuliusBorisovDragonspearjackjack

Grum said:

Still not likely to happen as long as off-hand cheese exists. I mean, BG2 has Halcyon, Spear of the Unicorn, Impaler, and Spear of Withering, and ToB has Ixil's Spike. All great weapons, but not easily abused weapons.
    Perhaps the dragonspear being the best weapon against dragons? Doesn't have to be the best generic weapon, there already tons of it out there
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Grum said:

I carry myself over to BG2EE by myself all the time. I really don't need to be carried :)

In seriousness though, I'd love for spears to become viable.

I think the only weapon I love as much as spears are Greatswords. Maybe 2h hammers, which sadly don't exist in the Baldurs Gate games.
  • GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Member Posts: 18
    johntyl said:

If SOD is the prequel of BG2, then wouldn't our new gear become obsolete once we complete SOD and import our character over to BG2? It's like, wow we got all this cool new armour and weapons and stuff, game ends, okay, goodbye new items and stuff?

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean the new equipment isn't going to be useful for doing Siege of Dragonspear itself.

Just because an item isn't the best thing ever doesn't mean it's not the best thing you can have right now, and so worth getting anyway.
    Hudzy
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    It's no different than the transition from SoA to ToB where all the great kit you acquired during the campaign suddenly becomes (with a few exceptions) just 'average'.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean the new equipment isn't going to be useful for doing Siege of Dragonspear itself.

the thing is that the siege of dragonspear is relatively short, so if you get a lot of unique and cool items, those that you get in the, say, last third portion of the game will only be usable for a relatively short time. therefore i hope there won't be a bloat of those late-game items because it will be sad to not be able to use them for longer.

throne of bhaal which is also short smartly solves this by having you find many of these end-game items earlier (even in SoA if you do the watcher's keep there, as many people do) - but you get to upgrade them toward the end

johntyl
    Yes, but what I meant is that since we already have a pretty good idea what items there are already in BG2, the new items in SOD - no matter how cool and novel they are - are gona be shortlived once we import our characters over to BG2. UNLESS, Beamdog adds some SOD items into BG2 or scale the levels of the gear up, then that will be a different thing ;)

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be happy about the new stuff though, I'm just saying that it's gonna be such a downer having to 'lose' those items after transitioning to BG2 (if the opening of BG2 is gona remain the same)