Skip to content

Maliel, the Soulless (recklessheart)

"Imoen?"

Maliel is dragged back into the waking world, shards of broken glass and jagged stones polluting his mind with pain, and a lack of comprehension for what should be the familiar sight of his sister, Imoen, stood before him. Words do not come easily to the Half-Elf, nor is standing a given in his current state of mental agony. What was the last he could remember before being imprisoned in this nightmarish place?

Sarevok. Gorion. The Iron Shortage, and the crisis of Baldur's Gate. It all seemed so distant; such a thing of his past, not his present. And perhaps that was correct: all of those trials and experiences had not made him capable of defending himself nor his allies when he was beset by the anonymous attackers that brought him here. Was it all related to what had happened to Sarevok? He heard the title ring in his ears; the cold hollow words of his captor, telling him that he was "the Child of Bhaal". A shudder knocks him back to the imminent situation. Imoen stands waiting for him to speak, worried, but scarred herself.

Maliel is reminded of their companions. Jaheira and Minsc are nearby, although Maliel knows them less than two others with whom they were captured: Khalid, and Dynaheir. Khalid had aided Maliel in defeating Sarevok, and they had traveled together through forest, across the coast, into ruins, and throughout the city of Baldur's Gate accomplishing good deeds. They had reunited with Jaheira in Beregost, where she had remained during these events to recover from severe wounds that would have slain any other. Upon the road, the party, accompanied by Imoen, happened upon the familiar Dynaheir, who Maliel had rescued many moons ago in the Gnoll Stronghold situated on the edge of the Cloud Peaks, and she joined the party again, now in the company of her bodyguard and protector, Minsc.

Dynaheir had been killed. Maliel knew her, and respected her, though he admittedly had no strong affection towards her owing to their clashing attitudes - clashing because of their similarities, more than their differences, if the truth were to be told. It darkened Maliel's thoughts to know that she had died as a consequence of their captor's interest in him, and he hoped that the same would not prove true of Khalid.

But he hoped in vain. Khalid was dead, and he was beyond the point of resurrection. Jaheira and he shared few words, if any, and though Maliel was saddened by the sight of his friend, he refrained from commentary. The goal would only be to leave this place, and discover to where he had been taken, and why his captor had enacted these evils against he and his friends. With the aid of a new companion, Yoshimo, they begin their ascent towards the surface, where a new chapter is to begin in Maliel's life.

(( And so it begins! The foetal stages of BG2 are always fun; scampering around Athkatla scraping together magic items and finding things in the shops. The party is, as yet, not decided upon, but I have ideas of a few of the companions I will want to keep!
For reference, the beginning of Maliel's story can be found in a scant few posts on the BGEE subforum, here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/684971# ))

Comments

• recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Rising into the famous city of Athkatla, Maliel and his party toss themselves from the immediate threat of annihilation as powerful spells rage around them. An explosion collapses the tunnel behind them, and arrows fly while daggers are drawn to assault the Mage who shapes magic as though it were water following the stream of the river. Into the fray step a faction of Mages, who ultimately apprehend Maliel's captor - but it seems the entrapment is willing, and that the man might have held his ground for a long time yet under the onslaught of this faction.

They are the Cowled Wizards; and he is Jon Irenicus. Maliel learns this quickly upon stumbling from the conflict into the Sword Coast's wealthiest city. Imoen is gone - a political casualty, it seems, doomed to the same fate as shall befall Irenicus. Maliel does not see fit to end the conflict here, however: Imoen is as close to family as he has, and a boon companion; Irenicus knows something, and is a vessel of magic the likes of which Maliel cannot comprehend despite all his feats of Arcane might north of the Cloud Peaks.

The treasures and artefacts that aided him then are largely gone, but for the Claw of Kazgaroth he might be divested entirely of the possessions that made prior victories possible. With no coin, and no clear direction, the Half-Elf must wander the city using skill and acuity to piece together a path forward.

Gaelan Bayle seems to know something, though neither Jaheira nor Maliel deem him trustworthy. How could they? Nevertheless, they must move forward with what fragments of promise are offered in this vast and shadowy city.

Soon their name is being made: a Mage among the Cowled Wizards seeks Maliel's aid to track down a criminal, who is Valygar Corthala by name. If it leads to Imoen - or at least to some magic that will empower Maliel as he continues upon his path - he shall take it. Briefly his path crosses with Viconia, a Drow that he once spared and turned away near Beregost, though it is brief indeed. Maliel is not only a Mage, nor a Thief; he is also in some part a Moon Elf, and unjust though her circumstances were, he has no desire to lengthen his association to the Dark Elf, for whom mistrust is the only safeguard from sure betrayal.

The exploits of the party that Maliel brings together shake first from the core of the slums, and though his allies are powerful and each in their own way informative about this land of which Maliel knows nothing, they seem fraught in their associations with one another. If he is to extrapolate information from the Cowled Wizards - or potentially battle with this Mage, Irenicus, again - Maliel knows that his party shall have to be made of Athkatla's most talented, albeit varied, heroes and hirelings.

(( Pick pocket served me exceptionally well on Waukeen's Promenade. From the several stores there, I gathered a nice collection of items at no cost but that of a Potion of Mastery Thievery! Pick pocket was swell in Baldur's Gate, but Maliel's skill was never high enough to steal confidently from merchants, and to be honest I have never remembered about the potential for it to be used this way!

The items stolen from stores are:

Cone of Cold
    Shadow Door
    Identify
    Clairaudience/Clairvoyance x3
    Plate mail
    Ring of Regeneration - upon Ribald Barterman's person
    Lower Resistance
    Protection from Normal Weapons
    Arrow of Fire
    Glasses of Identification
    Traveller's Robe
    Acid Arrows

So things are good. The party is as yet undecided, but every NPC shall make some appearance for the purpose of completing their sidequests: such is always the way with me, as I like the idea that the Bhaalspawn protagonist touches these characters lives in significant ways during the course of SoA - for one thing, it legitimises the possibility of calling them to your side again in ToB, but as I never plan on doing that, I just think that it is a nice and rich way to play the game! ))
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Don't forget that there's ALWAYS 1% the pickpocket attempt fails, no matter how high is your skill. It could be a rather sad moment in a no-reload run when you lose an access to a particular merchant in the beginning of the game.
    Maliel had always been appreciative of the arts. Perhaps it was the Elf in him? Perhaps the Thief? He had little doubt that it was not the blood of Bhaal that circulated through him, urging him forward to power and ascendancy.

Ascendancy? Is that what he truly seeks...?

A trip to the theatre beneath The Five Flagons Inn left Maliel underwhelmed, certainly. He was reminded of those with whom he traveled near Nashkel, and of Poe who told a fine tale on Firewine Bridge. It all seemed so long ago. Imoen gone; Khalid dead. He wondered what had become of the others; of Ajantis, and Edwin, and the Cleric Branwen? Perhaps Garrick, whom had taken time at the circus near Nashkel had gained some substance to his art. Surely he could not lack what this Rodrigo had. Honestly.

For the promise of magic, or perhaps only for the sake of saving the name of the theatre, Maliel undertakes a quest to seek out Haer'Dalis for the Planar theatre company that have taken occupation in The Five Flagons.

Battles with rival parties that take occupation in Athkatla teaches Maliel that he and his allies are not quite so indomitable as his previous triumph over Sarevok had led him to believe...

With Haer'Dalis rallying to Maliel's side until such a time as the party return to the theatre, Maliel thinks it appropriate to return to Waukeen's Promenade and investigate the matters of magic that seem to be at work there. Perhaps a Bard could comprehend of the magic?

They march through a place of illusion more carelessly than Maliel would like, but there seems to be no subtlety to match the illusions against which they work, and so it seems he must throw more weight upon his warrior companions to dispatch the danger and distractions at work. Haer'Dalis works art with weapons, and Maliel is impressed - most certainly Maliel's expertise as a Thief has given him a multiplicity of talents that Haer'Dalis and other magic-users like them lack, but when blades are drawn it seems the Tiefling has no equal. Ending the mystery on the Promenade, Maliel foregoes the opportunity to add an Avariel to their ranks, deploring her lack of readiness for the challenges that lie ahead.

And challenges indeed must lie ahead. Where Maliel might have found an ally, he grows certain that his moral heart has instead made him an enemy. One that shall find him when the sun is setting...

(( Thanks @bengoshi for the tip! As coin accumulates there shall hopefully be less need for it, but I fortuitously stumbled across Gloves of Pick Pocketing as I was looting familiar areas. I had forgotten about those, and alongside a Potion of Mastery Thievery it is pretty safe for me to steal magical arrows, which is mostly what I'm taking as I move along. Hopefully it won't result in total disaster!
    Haer'Dalis has nothing to say when you go to do the circus quest in Athkatla. I thought this was interesting as I know that taking Aerie into the party will prompt you eventually to find him, but I suppose the developers never considered that Haer'Dalis would be found first. It was interesting, though a bit of a pity. ))
    Following a cloak-and-dagger meeting with Bohdi in the Graveyard District, Maliel returns to the business of the city: there is no safety nor security to be found in the City of Coin, but Maliel can only try and turn this to his advantage and do some good along the way.

Obligations to companions past and present surface quickly upon reaching the docks. It is there that the party become re-acquainted with Xzar, heretofore thought dead. The Necromancer has business with the Harpers, who have captured Montaron - also alive, apparently. Jaheira has objections to this quest, naturally, and Maliel shares in the objections, but it is no sooner that they are come face-to-face with an old foe of Jaheira's, Baron Ployer, who diverts their attention to the more urgent matter of freeing Jaheira from a debilitating curse.

Maliel wonders if he, too, was cursed: strange dreams involving Imoen and aspects of the past become a new burden to his resting hours, filling the space that once was rich with the portents of Bhaal, and the path of Maliel's Divine blood. Choosing not to inform his party members of these interruptions to the night's rest, the Mage continues in pursuit of Baron Ployer, and the Book of Kaza also, which Korgan seeks. In doing so, he earns the aid of an independent Mage party - the same people that cursed Jaheira - but incurs the ire of the Cowled Wizards when fighting upon the rooftops over the slums, aiming to reclaim the Book of Kaza and thus earn Korgan's loyalty.
    Maliel's travels take a peculiar; nay, a fantastical turn, to say the least. What is more fantastic, one wonders, than being a Half-Elven Mage whose power is rivaled by so few, and is the growing fragment of a God's power? Now he journeys into a new plane, in pursuit of the Tiefling, Haer'Dalis, and a theatre troupe that have been taken captive by bounty hunters.

Succeeding in this, Maliel is glad to hear that Haer'Dalis shall travel with him yet: there is great promise in the presence of this Arcane swordsman, Maliel is certain. Aided by Haer'Dalis, and traveling still with Jaheira, Korgan, Anomen, and Nalia, Maliel wonders if he is in the company of those that will fight to the last to free Imoen from her bondage. He has no doubt of Jaheira's loyalty, and their shared sorrow over the fate of Khalid has brought them close as companions. Jaheira will take the battle to Jon Irenicus, and even if Maliel should somehow fall, she will not falter in her will. Korgan has acquired and tossed the Book of Kaza aside, and no further bounties are outstanding on his agenda. There is more promise of coin and battle in Maliel's presence than elsewhere, and there is little reason to believe Korgan willing to start anew somewhere else on the Sword Coast when Maliel's presence in Athkatla continues to ascend. In Anomen, Maliel is less certain - the man's character is a changeable substance, and Maliel is not above the suspicion that Anomen will declare himself to be distrustful of Maliel; be it because of his Elf blood, his magical prowess, or the only true aspect of him that is likely to see him hunted, his Bhaal blood.

What does Maliel care for Anomen's opinion? It is lofty, and not so deserving of the weight with which the Cleric tries to swing it. Moreover, Maliel knows that Nalia cannot abide to be away from De'Arnise Keep much longer. The quest to liberate the keep is one that must be undertaken. Pursuing the lead given to him by a Limited Wish scroll, Maliel concludes his business in Athkatla for the present moment, and ventures out following Nalia De'Arnise's direction, ready to bring battle to a deadly foe.

// I was very surprised to see the Nymph of 'Call Woodland Beings' laying low the Master of Thralls in Haer'Dalis' quest with a 'Hold Monster' spell! I was, of course, very glad for it too. The Master of Thralls is an exceedingly nasty foe, and one that my party really was not prepared to face otherwise. The desire to keep Haer'Dalis in my party outweighed wisdom in this case, however. Ordinarily I would not have taken that quest so soon. Oh well! All's well that ends well!
    The journey to De'Arnise Keep is a long one. The roads of Amn are safer than those of the Nashkel region that Maliel once operated in, but still the Mage would prefer a more convenient means of travel than on foot. Tired of enduring Anomen's haughty remarks, Maliel embraces the fortune of meeting a veteran Paladin in the Order of the Radiant Heart, who seems a more fitting addition to the party than the arrogant squire of the same organisation. Knowing that he now ventures towards a keep where siege warfare may be necessary, it seems desirable to Maliel to travel in the company of one who would have experience of such things: Maliel possesses none.

The battle begins at the De'Arnise Keep: Nalia and the party arrive too late to prevent the walls of the keep from being breached, and the enemy is an army of Trolls. Though the opportunity for a frontal assault seems ripe, Maliel prefers a more delicate approach. With Nalia's knowledge of the keep's infrastructure, one makes itself available, and Maliel and his party gain access by a secret entryway to the servant's quarters.

Subtlety can only take one so far, however, when the foe is a horde of Trolls. Eventually the party must do battle, and it is no easy battle, but Maliel is shrewd, and has stolen many arrows of acid and of fire in preparation for such a threat? Dishonourable? Maliel does not care. "Rather I have the arrows for the accomplishment of important deeds," thinks Maliel, "Than a merchant return home at the end of the day with more coin than he can count."

Soon the party make their way through the keep into the dungeons - though Nalia would not have them called that, Maliel sees no reason to deny the truth of their circumstances. TorGal is a dangerous threat, but Maliel has defeated Sarevok, and battled with a myriad of foes that would defeat the ordinary man: victory would go to the Half-Elf in the end, as it always does. There is little comfort to be offered Nalia, however. It strikes Maliel as strange that she does not wish to remain at the keep. Had he been given the choice, Maliel could think of no finer way to live one's life than in an expansive, expensive keep over which he has authority, and though she is naive, Maliel believes that Nalia would do more good at the keep than she can in his company. Nevertheless, he errs on the side of discretion, and neutrality, and agrees to let Nalia travel with him for a time yet.

Leaving a ruin of a keep behind them, and the corpses of man and Troll alike, the party makes a choice to return to Athkatla and consolidate their arrangement with the Shadow Thieves. Maliel's nights are plagued, nevertheless, by strange dreams.
    The party's adventures continue. Now, to the Umar Hills.

Maliel temporarily agrees to part ways with Nalia. The business of the Umar Hills is troubling, indeed, and Maliel does not seek to jeopardise the investigation with the possible revelation that the Ogre, Madulf, and his kinsmen might somehow be in league with the Trolls of the De'Arnise Keep invasion. Is it not possible? The land feels small, for one so perilous. How many dangers must be in league with one another, that all triumph so easily to bring hardship to good people?

In investigating the trouble in the Umar Hills, Maliel and his party are brought towards a ruin layered all in shadow. The Half-Elf relents one moment to doubt, wondering if the figure of the witch might have been reimposed upon the travelling Drow in the region, Viconia, and this place of shadow could somehow be associated to her holy work for the Goddess, Shar. If it is so, then Maliel knows he shall take up arms against her for the greater good. The situation is not made desirable by virtue of knowing it could be so, however.

The Halfling, Mazzy Fentan, aligns herself to the group's cause. Her presence seems to be the cause of some philosophising between Jaheira and Keldorn, and though Maliel welcomes their discussion as one both interesting and legitimate now that their path is somewhat ensnared in the ambitions of the Shadow Thieves. Nevertheless, this temple is not the place: all within it must be made to perish, and though negotiation is a shrewd course of action, Maliel knows intelligence must give way to wisdom if the party wishes to lift the dark veil from Umar.

It is a mighty beast. The Shadow Dragon. Thaxll'ssillyia.

Maliel defeats it with the aid of brave companions. No battle has ever demanded more nor taken more of the Half-Elf's strength, but magic lays low the malevolent force which the Shade Lord keeps to guard his dark practices. So too it must be, therefore, that the Shade Lord falls.

Umar is saved of its danger. The party have succeeded. A night spent in the village is all the pause they can afford, but it is enough for Maliel, Jaheira, Korgan, Haer'Dalis, Keldorn and Mazzy to share a brew and celebrate: and to finalise what might be the first deal struck in good faith and a benevolent state of mind between the demihumans and Giantfolk, and the humans of Amn.

(( What is most fun in all of this, it must be said, is the kudos that Shocking Grasp deserves. It isn't the most reliable spell, but these weapon spells are a lot of fun, and I prefer the flavouring of them to an endless torrent of Magic Missile each and every time.
    The party is still in contention, but I am making my way around most NPCs surely enough. Things have slowed down though, owing to my other commitments, and whether time spent at a distance from Maliel and the party shall change my preference for who I should count among it remains to be seen. Stayed tuned - and thank you for doing so!
    It should be noted, to justify the final screenie, that I do not intend to complete the Jaheira romance, but I do quite want her to remain in my party. And damnit, there is never a good opportunity to slip out of it. What is to be done for those of us who love Jaheira so, when our characters cannot? ;(
    Apologies for dropping this, those whom were following. I appreciate you taking the time to read it, but alas I fell victim to the real world, and lost track. I find that Baldur's Gate is such a compelling game, and one that I have always played sequentially, and I cannot step in and out of it. When I do play again, it will be a new run: indeed, it will have to be! I have a new laptop now, and Maliel is gone. I can only hope his fate was a favourable one. :)