Skip to content

Melf's Minute Meteors 5 attacks per round - fix?

Hey!

I just noticed that I recieve 5 attacks per round using Melf's minute meteors... So long so good. However, when the missiles are empty I still got 5 attacks per round with my mage. I am expecting to be having 1 attack per round and not 5.

My weapon is the Staff Spear + 2, gained from the quest: Free the Djinni in Irenicus's dungeon.

Anyone know why this is so? If this is normal - my mage would be a formidable fighter indeed.

Comments

• MWOMWO Member Posts: 214
    Just tested using the same spell, but no equiped a normal staff and I still recieve 5 attacks per round when the missiles runs out. Hmm... Strange?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    This would be a known issue with the latest patch. See here for more information.

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of this erroneous APR is to save and then load your game.
    Oh, thank you! I noticed the overridefile which makes the increased APR vanish after 60 seconds or so... If it's possible to get rid of the increased APR through saving that's also a nice way to make the APR expire. That would be why I haven't noticed it until now :blush:
    Hi again!

I have recently discovered this major problem to the game. The bug doesn't only effect Melf's Minute Meteors, but all kinds of equipment that disapears such as arrows and darts. This means that not only does it make a mage overpowered with Melf's minute meteors and the like, but also make your warriors increasingly powerful handling after fireing some arrows since a bow usually has more APR than a normal sword. This means that Minsc easily will get around 3-4 APR as per a ranger level 7-8 with his 2-handed sword which is just awkward...

Does anyone know when a new patch will be released or does anyone know how to fix the problem? This is a major downside to the game. Very disapointed indeed. I've already read the bug-thread about this, but nobody seems to know how to solve this.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Are you sure about that? Can you give steps to reproduce the APR problem after using a bow? Because I've never encountered that before.

There will be a patch when Siege of Dragonspear comes out.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited November 2015
    It is a known issue indeed, it works with Energy Blades as well, and I just tested the extension of that bug to bows as @MWO mentioned.
    Here is how I just did it
    Equipped Tuigan bow on a lvl 24 blackguard who's specialized in shortbow, with gauntlet of extraordinary specialization. That's 5APR.
    I equipped one single arrow and used it on the first Umber hulk I could find.
    My character automatically switched for Unholy Reaver which is the other weapon he has equipped, that's the normal behaviour when running out of ammo. He kept his 5 APR instead of getting back to 3.
    I tested it with three types of arrow, namely +2, Dispelling and Detonation, worked the same way.
    I then tried it with the other ranged weapons that modify APR, namely darts and throwing daggers, it behaved exactly as with the bows and arrows:
    When running out of ammo you will keep the base APR of the ranged, and add any bonus (E.G. proficiencies) you have to this.
    Reloading fixes this as well.
    Regarding how it behaves with various ranged weapon, if you use, let's say a bow, run out of ammo and switch for a sling which has 1 base APR, you will have the normal sling APR.
    If you do the same and switch for a melee/ranged weapon, i.e. a magical returning throwing axe/hammer, you will retain the APR from the bow

Note that it works as well with any melee weapon from a shapeshifting, if you dispel it with, for example a shocking grasp in a sequencer.
    Post edited by Arunsun on
    Yes, exactly what I mean. Totally takes out the challenge of the game. Does anyone know when this new expansion will be released then - siege of dragonspear?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    If you want to be challenged, couldn't you just avoid exploiting that bug? It sounds like it only happens when you run out of ammo before switching to a melee weapon.

And no, no one knows. The company line is "when it's ready." At some point they were hoping (not promising!) to release before the end of the year, but some people seem to think that's unlikely.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    MWO said:

Yes, exactly what I mean. Totally takes out the challenge of the game. Does anyone know when this new expansion will be released then - siege of dragonspear?

Since you can fix that simply by reloading there is no problem you cannot overcome if you really want to. Yeah it is annoying and breaks the balance, but it's not like you cannot play around it.
    Still, I'll make a bug report on the bug section if it is not made already.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Arunsun said:

Since you can fix that simply by reloading there is no problem you cannot overcome if you really want to. Yeah it is annoying and breaks the balance, but it's not like you cannot play around it.

That's not going to work mid-combat, though. Which is when it makes a difference!

I knew about this issue for magical thrown weapons (MMM, EB), but I hadn't noticed that we could get the same erroneous effect from bows and suchlike ... probably because running out of ammo mid-combat is rare except for the magical thrown weapons. That makes it a worse bug (and exploit) than I had realised. I hope the devs are giving this one some priority.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I agree. This the sort of exploit I actually care around as it is not easily avoided. After all, saving is disabled in combat.

It is a bit annoying that bugs like these are still around. I think Beamdog would have better luck squashing them with more small patches.

So far, each patch introduces new problems instead of solving only old ones. Maybe because each introduces new features as well? In other games feature patches also seem to be buggier. Remember how the new kits all had issues at the start? The really long patch cycle does not help things.

Makes me a bit worried as the SoD patch will also be a major feature patch.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ammar said:

It is a bit annoying that bugs like these are still around. I think Beamdog would have better luck squashing them with more small patches.

I agree, I think they ought to issue fixes more often. Saving up individual fixes until there's a bundle which can be tested together makes some sense, but the current patch-cycle (more than a year between patches!) is much too slow. I suggest that they ought to aim for a fix-patch quarterly, not annually.

I wonder, however, if part of Beamdog's reasoning is that if there were frequent hotfixes between major version updates, then multi-player participants might experience difficulties caused by not all updating at the same time to exactly the same version of the game? If so, then I can understand the concern, but I suspect it may be a misguided priority, since I get the impression that a large majority of us spend most (or all!) of our time in single-player.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    How do you install it? I'm not used having to mod a game for it to be working...

Thanks in advance and nice work with the mod.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    i think the reason why they are not releasing any patches yet is because they are preparing for the release of SOD, which I guess is going to introduce more bugs and issues rather than resolve them, due to the arrival of the new class kit. So I guess it wouldn't be practical (for them) to release patches when they know that they (the patches) will have to be reworked again due to SOD.
    I installed the mod now... However, I still got 5 APR even if I depleted the number of meteors... Seems the mod didn't fix it at all or am I just doing it wrong? Suppose I uninstall the mod the same way I installed it. Thanks anyways.