Skip to content

IWD Style Portraits for All?

JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
If you're going to give us new IWD style portraits for the main character to use, why not update the portraits for all the NPCs to the new style? I know, I know... you have that bullshit agreement where you don't can't make adjustments to the original characters, but maybe you could make portraits for DROW PRIESTESS OF SHAR and RASHEMAN WARRIOR? We'll keep it all on the down low, *wink* *wink*.

Comments

• JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
    All I'm saying is the portraits all have to match style wise for me to use them without going nutso.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Does that would be an upgrade really? Not saying that IWD portraits are bad far from it, but thouse of BG are good too, it's jsut different style and after that it's a matter of tastes
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I would love it if Jason did some IWD-style portraits of the BG1 cast.
    I'm thinking that the different art styles would clash and detract from the game experience. How many games have you played that had totally different art styles contained within the same game? Quick! Can't name any off the top of your head, huh? There's a reason it's not commonly done.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited September 2012
    I've a good theory about these IWD portraits.

Since all the new portraits are bound to be amazing it's going to be torturous having to pick just one for your charname in BG. Therefore these portraits are, in fact, secretly meant to be used in IWD where people will have the ability to go nuts with making a whole new 6 character party with all new portraits.

I call this the "inportraitization theory".
    Ya, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe all these IWD portraits are in preparation for IWD:EE
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @sandmanCCL
    Hey, I agree with you that style clashing doesn't affect me, but at the same time I would enjoy some IWD-style Viconia, Xzar, Montaron, etc.

@Jean_Luc
    The Black Pit offers similar incentive to roll your own party, as well. It's like Overhaul has a plan or something!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Jorkan said:

Ya, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe all these IWD portraits are in preparation for IWD:EE

God knows that game could use some enhancing.

Haha, don't get me wrong Icewind Dale is fun but it severely lacks polish. :)
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72

I must be one of the few people on earth who doesn't give a damn if my character's portrait clashes with the default BG pictures.

I might just use an MS-Paint stick figure man as my next main character's picture. :D

Stick figure portrait? Sounds pretty funny. Particularly if you replaced all of your party's portraits with stick figure approximations.
    My stick figures would all be doing dirty stuff.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    WonKo said:

I must be one of the few people on earth who doesn't give a damn if my character's portrait clashes with the default BG pictures.

I might just use an MS-Paint stick figure man as my next main character's picture. :D

Stick figure portrait? Sounds pretty funny. Particularly if you replaced all of your party's portraits with stick figure approximations.
    Pff haha, that would be amazing.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    IWD-style portraits are cool and great, but for IWD as far as I'm concerned. Seems people who prefer them for BG are in luck, but while I might use some of them in IWD, for BG I'll stick to the originals (if all the new portraits are icewindy) or some fan-created portraits done in the BG-style.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I already replace all of the BG characters with IWD portraits.

Jaheira

Edwin

Minsc - lacks Boo (which is a major problem) but has hair like his sprite

Xzar

Montaron

Anomen -

Jan

Mazzy

Nalia

Another Nalia

Viconia - not very drow but suitably weird and exotic

Kagain

Xan

Aerie

Shar-Teel

Dorn

Sarevok
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited September 2012
    Your Anomen's a gnome (halfling?). :P
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Jean_Luc that is because Anomen is only half a man. Get it? Half a... I'll quit now.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I was with you until Anomem.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    WonKo said:

I wasn't planning on it, but I certainly am now. I'll make sure to post it to y'all when they're done.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited September 2012
    Jean_Luc said:

Your Anomen's a gnome (halfling?). :P

I know. I feel it suits his character. I don't play him as a gnome just as a guy who looks like a gnome. His speeches become quite funny when they are being made by a guy who looks like this. It particularly amuses me when he is attempting to romance my female paladin and she is rebuffing him at every turn.