Skip to content

Nerfed Familiars in IWDEE

Anyone else annoyed that familiars are a lot less powerful in terms of both abilities and HP in IWDEE compared to the BGEE series? Has anyone checked if all the changes in the IWDEE manual are true, and that the familiars have truly lost abilities they had in BG? (For instance 10' invisibility in the case of faerie dragon)

Also given this, which familiars would you say are the best choice considering the dynamic has been altered? Specifically the evil ones as I am considering an evil Swashbuckler/Mage build as my magic user.

Comments

• FeytorFeytor Member Posts: 57
    My familiar gets summond and placed in my backpack.......
    Never found a use which didn't lead to a reload because of con loss.....
    sarevok57
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    It's possibly because the Familiars were nerfed in BGEE, in the first place, because of adventuring with low level parties and the Familiars needed some scaling back. You start IWDEE (the general mode) with the 1st level as well. I'd got used to the Familiars with their abilities as they are in BGEE, so wasn't annoyed.

If you look from the power point of view, I'd choose the Imp because of its shapeshifting forms.
    dr_muds
  • dr_mudsdr_muds Member Posts: 75
    Lawful evil it is then! Although I'm getting the familiar late as my Mage will actually be dualled from Swashbuckler at level 10
    JuliusBorisov