Skip to content

Jaheira Dual Wield (BGEE 1)

RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
Hello, why I haven't really used Jaheira much as I've played the first baldur's gate ( Even though I've played for 8 years). I was wondering, will she get enough points to be able to effectively dual wield two scimitars? ( The the pair of swords Drizzt uses). Thank you.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Within BG1, no. Apart from her starting proficiencies, she'll get an additional point for you to allocate at Fighter level 3 and again at Fighter level 6, but that's all.

In BG2, yes, it's eventually feasible to convert Jaheira into a dual-wielder if you really want to do so, although it takes quite a long while since she gets Fighter levels quite slowly.

The way her starting proficiencies are allocated in both games makes her most natural style sword-and-shield fighting. Converting her to two-handing (staff and spear) isn't too difficult, but converting her to dual-wielding takes some determination, and generally I reckon her (rather sparse) proficiency points are better spent in other ways.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited December 2015
    I would like to mention that Jaheira can use only one of the Drizzt's scimitars - Icingdeath, because the second scimitar, Twinkle, can be used only by characters with Good alignment, and Jaheira is True Neutral.

So, she can't dualwield the pair of sword Drizzt uses.

As for the dualwielding, the scimitars is not the best choice for BG1 in this context - Jaheira comes with ** in clubs and none in scimitars. For dualwielding she needs ** in the fighting style, and can only spend 2 proficiencies while in BG1, so Jaheira can dualwield much better with 2 clubs or a club in the main hand and the staff-mace in the second hand, because it's a one-handed staff, and only after putting ** into the two weapon fighting style.

I've learned to like her weapon proficiencies after all these years. You're free to act as you wish - you can easily add one * into staff and then * into the two-handed weapon style, or go the dualwielding route, or stay with a shield and switch club/sling when you need, or even give her ** in daggers for the Dagger of Venom.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    Oh Yea I forgot that she was neutral. I'll dual wield a club and a staff Mace then, thanks!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    bengoshi said:

Jaheira comes with ** in clubs and only one * in scimitars.

Er, no. Jaheira comes with ** in Clubs, * in Slings and * in Staves, nothing in Scimitars (unless you postpone her recruitment until late in the game, when she'll have * in Scimitars but still nothing in dual-wielding, and then only one * left for you to allocate later, which isn't enough for dual-wielding to be any good).

So no, in BG1 there's no legitimate way Jaheira can dual-wield effectively with a Scimitar. Clubs or Club and Staff Mace, just about do-able, although you'd probably still be better off with a decent shield.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    You could always reallocate her proficiency points with SK...
    Yes I know, but I want to avoid that as much as possible.
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    This of course is only my opinion : I would advise against it, that build does not really fit her class of fighter/ druid. If she had ranger levels than most certainly it would be a good combo. You can shadow keeper changes, but I think she does best with shield and club or sling. Just do not forget to get her the Ankheg plate mail, with that and a shield she is able to tank.
    Yes, I have a superior evil party in BG1, but i wanted a 6th character, and I want all characters to be combat-efficient. But I guess I Will go with club and shield, thank you. Currently preparing a maxed out party for the new expansion, can't wait!