Skip to content

"Montolio's Cloak"

EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
Montolio's Cloak

This is the fabled cloak of Montolio DeBrouchee—the aged, blind mentor of the dark elf ranger Drizzt Do'urden. Like his famous pupil, Montolio was a master at wielding two blades simultaneously.

*sigh*

Montolio was indeed Drizzt's mentor, BUT he was proficient in use bow and combination of sword and shield. He had no knowledge of use of two weapons simultaneously, and even had skeptical remarks on Drizzt way of fighting (He says he expects that Drizzt would tangle himself up wielding two long swords).

It's absolutely nonsense!
What comes next? "Catti-brie full plate armor"?

Ideal solution?
Name cloak after Drizzt father.
Given that his father was even greater master fighting with two weapons, it will make perfect sense.

Zaknafein's Cloak

This is the fabled cloak of Zaknafein Do'Urden—father and teacher of the famous dark elf ranger Drizzt Do'urden. Like his famous son, Zaknafein was a master at wielding two blades simultaneously.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2015
    They aren't allowed to change stuff that is already in the game, only add new things to it. That was at least the way it used to be.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    @SionIV

They can.
    They already repaired descriptions Drizzt's scimitars.
    edited December 2015
    Edvin said:

@SionIV

They can.
    They already repaired descriptions Drizzt's scimitars.

There is a difference between repairing something, and changing something. If they do change the cloak like this, they are changing the history/background of an item. I remember reading that they weren't allowed to do this, unless that has changed recently?

You would also have to change the name of the cloak, if it wasn't used by Montolio DeBrouchee then it shouldn't be named after him either. So not only are we changing the history of an item, we're also changing the name.
    SionIV said:

There is a difference between repairing something, and changing something.

Some repairs require a complete change.
    This is one of those cases.

I understand your concern, but this item is simply an insult to all Drizzt fans.
    Edvin said:

SionIV said:

There is a difference between repairing something, and changing something.

Some repairs require a complete change.
    This is one of those cases.

I understand your concern, but this item is simply an insult to all Drizzt fans.
    Good thing that it's Baldur's Gate and not Drizzt's Gate. They introduced him into the game as fan service, not as something major or plot related. :smile:
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    AFAIK they changed Celestial Fury description, so I think they *can* change stuff. Maybe all they need is WotC approval.
    Cahir said:

AFAIK they changed Celestial Fury description, so I think they *can* change stuff. Maybe all they need is WotC approval.

Great example! I totally forgot on Celestial Fury.
    edited December 2015
    So, what would be the new name for the cloak?

Zaknafein's Cloak?

And we would need to change the requirements so that fighters can also use the cloak. It makes no sense for the cloak to have a ranger class requirement, when it's Drizzt's fathers cloak and Zaknafein is a fighter.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Just a point of clarification: The Celestial Fury item description previously had no story at all. We added one to it; we didn't change its existing one. And we also did not change its name.

Ir'revrykal is another example of an item that previously had no history, which we then created one for.

To the best of my knowledge, we have yet to actually alter the name or history of any item that already had one--so while you may be right that the description of this item is not accurate to the lore, there is no precedent for changing it.
    edited December 2015
    @Dee
    Even if you decide to not change name and description of this item, can you at least adapt the last sentence?

change this:
    "Like his famous pupil, Montolio was a master at wielding two blades simultaneously."

to something like this:
    "It seems that Motolio at the end of his life learned a few tricks from his student which was master at wielding two blades simultaneously and powerful magic of his cloak somehow retained this knowledge."
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That might be more feasible, although I'm not the best person to comment on it. It kind of sounds like the cloak was designed as a nod to Drizzt fans, but wasn't designed with enough consideration to the actual lore of Drizzt's origin.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Dee said:

Just a point of clarification: The Celestial Fury item description previously had no story at all. We added one to it; we didn't change its existing one. And we also did not change its name.

Ir'revrykal is another example of an item that previously had no history, which we then created one for.

To the best of my knowledge, we have yet to actually alter the name or history of any item that already had one--so while you may be right that the description of this item is not accurate to the lore, there is no precedent for changing it.

I stand corrected, I totally forgot that Celestial Fury didn't have any story at all. But I'm glad you've changed it :smile:
    Dee said:

That might be more feasible, although I'm not the best person to comment on it. It kind of sounds like the cloak was designed as a nod to Drizzt fans, but wasn't designed with enough consideration to the actual lore of Drizzt's origin.

It was probably laziness original authors BG.
    If you have only average knowledge about Drizzt, then you can know name his teacher, but probably do not know such details as his fighting style.