Skip to content

A genie grants a wish that you could actually visit the Sword Coast...

Comments

• jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I'd be a NG halfling cleric of Llira in Baldur's Gate or Amn. I'm tall in real life, but somewhat round, so I'd sacrifice height for cultural roundness-acceptance. Stats-wise, I'd make a good cleric, not because I'm particularly religious, but because I'm the empathic type and I hate seeing people suffer. Not surprisingly, I like it when people are happy, so I spend a lot of time trying to make people smile or laugh. The lady of joy sounds like a good fit for me. I'd always be welcome at a tavern or a party or a library, so I could even indulge my penchant for nerdery and lore to my heart's content.

When reading the Drizzt books, the character I understood best was Regis. He's not terribly brave or good in a fight, and he's got a habit of getting in over his head, but his friends bring out the best in him, and he'll fight to protect the people he loves. Of course, he'd much rather be home with a good meal, a flagon of something delightfully alcoholic, and pleasant company. I remember thinking, "Yeah, sounds like what I'd do."

I might travel, but I wouldn't go adventuring unless I had a damn good reason for it. I don't like roughing it, and my physical fighting stats would be a joke. I'd have to rely on magic, but I'd really rather be back at the temple patching up foolish adventurers and telling tales.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Half-Elf assassin, Baldur's Gate. Backstabbing foes and bedding ladies. What more can you ask for?

*Ah beautious creature! You are my masterpiece!*
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i would be a lawful neutral monk, starting in candlekeep, and i would play the role that CHARNAME did, and i would kick absolute butt, my real life stats would be perfect to be a monk, i have the strength, the agility, and the hardiness for it, and as soon as i would get a ring of gaxx and the ring of protection +2/+3 i would be invincible, plus the mitties of crushing as well :)
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    I'd spend my time in either Waterdeep or Baldurs Gate..stat wise I guess I'd end up a bard..spend my days sleeping & my evenings chasing skirts, playing various games of chance, imbibing in various Faerunian specialty cocktails..

Pretty much what I did as a younger man IRL :-) I've got a high CHA..

If I can alter my race I'd probably go half elf for the longer lifespan & as for god? Tymora all the way..Lady luck smiles upon me with favor

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I would dedicate my life to trying to sleep with viconia :p
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    hate to say it but life wouldn't be any different in the sword coast then it is in the real world. i've traveled enough in this life to find out that no matter where you go, what the laws and rules of the land that you live, you are always you. I'm not where i am irl today because i'm held back, i'm where i am today because i'm following the path i choose. If i could be anything, i would be myself, with my wife and sons.

Sorry to kill the fantasy of it all, but everytime i see this thread, all i can think of is, 'lol, why does the place make any difference whatsoever?'
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    @Bjjorick

Actually, I had the same reaction to my own query, lol. I would certainly not wish to leave my life behind, and most definitely not my wife.

So I made the fantasy a forced choice in an edit: the modified premise is that the genie has tricked you into committing to the choice.
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    I would be a Moon Elf, in the Elven city of Everska. I would train with the Bladedancers there, and learn swordplay. As for a living... I would probably just wonder the hills near Everska, maybe beyond. A Ranger, in short. This would all be about 40 years prior to the BhaalSpawn tragedy (mainly so I could meet Arilyn Moonblade and Dannilo Thann after the Time of Troubles :D)
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @lemernis

well, so long as i can take my wife and sons with me, i'll happily live there. If not, the wish scroll can take me home or bring them to me. :)

btw, does anyone play minecraft? i know this is slightly off topic, but is it actually a game? or is it like a game like the sims is a game?
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Race: Human

Class: Necromancer

Alignment: Chaotic Good

I'm rather introverted (IRL), but I never shirk to come to the rescue of those in need. I can't stand injustice, so if I see some horrible monster trying to eat an innocent bystander, I'll fling a magic missile up their neither regions.

Starting in Candlekeep, then make my way to the High Hedge and apprentice under Thalantry the Conjurer. As my specialty is death spells, I would need to stick around long enough to learn the fine art of summoning skeletons to have a chance out there in the wilderness. An animated skeletal army would be indispensable. Of course, excursions into the bush would only be after several years of learning the ropes and acquiring a decent ROBE in which to cloth and protect my soft naked body. Eventually I would make my way to town to recruit a gang of good or neutral aligned mercenaries. Hooking up with Imoen would be obligatory.

My profession would most accurately be described as 'professional treasure hunter' or 'acquirer of rare antiquities and ancient texts'. Magic items of little significance would be sold to finance my mercenary gang and maintain morale. Realistically, early jobs would consist of simple crypt raiding, as ghouls and mummies make easy targets. Bribing of the local temple priests of the locations of said crypts could be expensive…unless Imoen and her sticky fingers procure the locations from the documents hidden inside the vaults and scroll stores the various temples. Unless one strikes it rich with a particularly rare magic item, it would take several years to acquire enough coinage to expand the 'company'.

Danger to my person would be mitigated by thorough planning by myself and crack team of hired hands. Imoen could handle budgetary requirements and allocation of supplies, potions, scrolls, ect… Pay would be according to performance.

Given a thorough utilization of inherent talent and ingenuity gained from earthly experience (remember, we are being transferred here by a genie), I'm confident the enterprise could be a success. Utilizing mechanical solutions such as those from Gnomes in the Museum of Wonders in Baldur's Gate who invented flying machines and other mechanical weapons for raiding, success would be swift.

Faerun is basically an anarchic, feudal society, in which the rule of the sword (or mage staff) is paramount. Realistically I would have to start small, but given the preponderance of magical items all over the realms, riches are there for those who dare to take them. Given enough successful jobs and enough loot, I would eventually acquire a mage tower (or similar abode) from which to cultivate my power further.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    edited September 2012
    Does being a wizard entail a lot of math? Nevermind, it probably does. I'll be a half-elf druid worshiping the Earthmother in the Moonshaes.
    edited September 2012

Does being a wizard entail a lot of math? Nevermind, it probably does. I'll be a half-elf druid worshiping the Earthmother in the Moonshaes.

I'm no D&D expert, but in the game all the wiz has to do is choose which spells they want, memorize them, then sleep on it. I think I could handle that.

Wands are nothing more than point and shoot devices.
    Potions? Just pop the cork and chuck it at something evil. No sweat.
    edited September 2012

I'm no D&D expert, but in the game all the wiz has to do is choose which spells they want, memorize them, then sleep on it. I think I could handle that.

Wands are nothing more than point and shoot devices.
    Potions? Just pop the cork and chuck it at something evil. No sweat.
    In the BG games it's like that. But I think that in the fictional/literary world of the Forgotten Realms it's actually supposed to call for a lot more than that.
  • HoebaggerHoebagger Member Posts: 46
    Cuan said:

Even Drizzt Do'Urden was killed by Entreri but was later resurrected by Jarlaxle. Granted Drizzt didn't die fairly to Entreri, but that matters little, he still died and only through Jarlaxle amusement was he resurrected.

You just spoiled the heck out of the series I was reading...
    Hoebagger said:

Cuan said:

Even Drizzt Do'Urden was killed by Entreri but was later resurrected by Jarlaxle. Granted Drizzt didn't die fairly to Entreri, but that matters little, he still died and only through Jarlaxle amusement was he resurrected.

Cast: Feeblemind ....there feel better?
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Lemernis said:

In the BG games it's like that. But I think that in the fictional/literary world of the Forgotten Realms it's actually supposed to call for a lot more than that.

Which is my concern. Sorcerers cast magic from sheer force of will, but wizards need to do a lot of research to get good at what they do. I'm not saying I couldn't do this, I just don't think I'd be very good at it.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2012
    Hmmm ineresting premise and since i'm old and have had too many heart attacks, that genie better damn well include a rejuvenation spell in that wish of his. And after my little encounter with the fountain of youth i'd be either a rebellious paladin with a snarky attitude and a sense of humour rather than a typical broom up my yinyang paladin type.
    OR a nice Ranger with a few pets since i dislike people and prefer to stay away from them as much as possible unless they pay me a fortune to be a guide, plus, i've been described in RL as having the " spirit of a forest child" by an elder in a 1st nations tribe near where i was born. That and i love shooting bows and crossbows in RL as well. So yeah, a YOUNG ranger there Mr. genie sir. please and thank you And make mine a 1/2 elf while we're at it.
    Post edited by Gilgalahad on
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    Race: Human ( I am human last time I checked so... )

Class: Cleric - Cleric is like a Combat-Medic now days, which was my role at the army, Also a Grenadier and a Sharpshooter but cleric cant use sharp weapons such as arrows so I will stick with a Flail or a Warhammer, though a throwing hammer also come to mind..
    I edited the premise to include that you can also choose to be in your physical prime, for those of us who are 'not-so-young' anymore.
  • CuanCuan Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2012
    Hoebagger said:

My sincere apology. I wasnt thinking when I posted it. Spoiler wasnt intended!

I have covered it in spoiler for future possible readers.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I have a question for the genie: am I allowed to have the simultaneous romance mod installed? This would have a serious impact on my decision... :P
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited September 2012
    I have been trained for over 2 decades in martial arts, including swords, spears and knives. I guess that makes me a human monk, or a fighter. I would choose fighter i think, and take the berserker kit, since i get these "explosions of rage" a lot of times lol.

As for what i would do? I would travel to the unknown, with hope as my boat! :P

Or something.

I guess i would not want to become an adventurer, but would be dragged into it rather easily by the "Heya it's me Imoen!" types -_-

As for my alignment, i think i would be considered Chaotic Good or Neutral with good tendencies.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    I'd be a Elf, like the idea of a long life.

As for class probably Fighter/Sorcerer (What Rules set would the real Realms even use?)

I'd have High Strength, Average Dexterity, Average Constitution, High Intelligence, Low Wisdom, Above Average Charisma.

I'd probably start in Candlekeep as BG 1 starts or in Baldur's Gate, maybe as part of the Flaming Fist (Previous Military status should help)

If I can start off with CHARNAME and Imoen right as BG 1 starts, all the better, dangerous but fun.

Weapon wise, probably use a Longbow for range (Saving spells for dire situations) and rely on dagger or other light melee weapon if forced to fight in melee, as I can't see myself being very good with heavier weapons.

Not really the religious type, but I could see one of the Death, Knowledge or Magic gods being very useful.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2012
    Bjjorick said:

hate to say it but life wouldn't be any different in the sword coast then it is in the real world. i've traveled enough in this life to find out that no matter where you go, what the laws and rules of the land that you live, you are always you. I'm not where i am irl today because i'm held back, i'm where i am today because i'm following the path i choose. If i could be anything, i would be myself, with my wife and sons.

Sorry to kill the fantasy of it all, but everytime i see this thread, all i can think of is, 'lol, why does the place make any difference whatsoever?'

It makes a difference because you have superpowers if you go to Faerun. Depending on your real life aptitudes and fantasies, you will be either gifted with Superman super-strength and speed, cunning and wealth and unlimited gadgetry like Batman, Spiderman, James Bond, or Black Canary, or magic to rival Samantha Stephens, Susan Storm, or Magneto. And that last category carries the potential to reach Galactus, Watcher, or Phoenix levels of power.

If your wife and son are your ultimate concern, wouldn't you want to have all that ability to protect them and give them a good life? Even though they wouldn't have electricity and all the comfort that electricity brings, they would have all the wealth and comfort of huge mansions, beautiful nightime kerosene and candlelight, magic-based temperature control, all of the books in the world, and the potential to develop superpowers of their own, and then make their own marks in this beautiful fantasy world.

Come on, guys and gals, let's have some imagination and be powerful in our dreams, even if we're not so much in real life. Have some vision.
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    are there any crossbreeds that aren't part human?

if so, likely that, some kind of mage Pirate set forth to gain immortality and create a kingdom of greatness!
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    I would probably choose to be a cleric. I am not at all religious in the real world, but in Faerun the gods are demonstrably real and they do intervene.

Plus ... it'd be handy to be able to cast Remove Curse on myself if I ever accidentally put on the wrong belt in the morning and found myself having an out-of-gender experience. "I didn't have breasts last night before bed, I'm pretty sure."
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Umm. Armed and armored human ME soldier so that I'd stand a chance of survival? Otherwise... I'd want to be somebody inside a walled town and wouldn't venture forth very much. I don't get a real life quick save or load, so death is a bit, well... permanent.
  • KhaaaaaanXKhaaaaaanX Member Posts: 1
    I'm brand new here. I have never played Baldur's Gate, and am having a good time reading these forums. Everyone here is so happy and excited for this game to release; I feel that there is a strong sense of community here. I'm actually wondering how I missed out on BG and BG2. I've always been interested in D&D, but I didn't understand it when I was young and when I grew older I had other things to play. Namely, Everquest.

This is really hard to do while still being honest with myself. Egos must be put aside.

Race: Human
    Class: Paladin

Lets see, stats.

STR: 16. I'm very strong. Using the 2E strength table, I am at 16 nearly reaching 17 (I'll press 2 plates some day!) (I squat 460)
    DEX: 11. I'm quick and have good balance. My agility and hand-eye coordination aren't the greatest.
    CON: 16. I'm doing a tough mudder event in October, 10 miles 25 obstacles. My fitness is good. My nerves haven't ever been very sharp so pain isn't hard to deal with. I've never broken a bone, and I'm not a sickly person.
    INT: 12. I'm a network engineer with multiple certifications. I feel that I'm capable of learning anything, but don't adequately apply myself.
    WIS: 18. I feel this to be my strongest attribute. I've seen many things in this world with many different viewpoints and am able to sort through them with a clear mind. I am a very perceptive person, and for the most part, am able to judge situations appropriately. I feel the experiences I've had in life have left me with an enlightened viewpoint on most things.
    CHA: 17. The minimum required charisma for a Paladin. I'm a leader. When it comes to any projects, organization, or expeditions I make, I take the lead role. Alpha dog. Not only do I naturally assume that role, I don't think I'm a bad looker either. When I was heavy into debate and acting, I was able to capture the rapt attention of those who witnessed me rain down the hellfire upon my opponents and convey a deep felt emotion through my words.

I don't know where I would start, since I've never played the game. I'm most likely to trip and fall down a pit trap to my death or die from using my body to shield someone else.

I chose Paladin because it strongly resonates with my real life beliefs. I am a very religious person. Truth is very important to me. I do not hardly ever lie, and when I do, it almost physically hurts me; the truth comes out soon enough. The Law; while seemingly over enforced some times, is a set of governing rules put into place to guide society. The authority of the Law is important and so is the willingness to submit to it. If we don't agree with the Law, then we should submit that disagreement to the authority with the best intent and means possible.

I also chose Paladin because I get the Lay on Hands ability. Female Clerics absolutely LOVE the Lay on Hands ability and totally don't know you're pervin on them.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    hahahhahahhahahha, nice one @KhaaaaaanX
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited September 2012
    I'd be a Gnome cuz they live a long time and are underestimated by other races. I'd probably be a Fighter/Illusionist.