Skip to content

Girdle of Masculinity/Femmeninity questions and concerns!

ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
For those of you who don't know.. There is a belt that changes the Gender of the wearer once.

Let's say a male charname puts it on. Does the game then refer you as step-daughter of Gorion, or are you still the step-son? :P Do the male companions gain a sudden romantical interest in you, or do chicks still dig you?

I wonder what will happen if you're in the middle of a romance with Neera, and suddenly, *Boobs pop on*... Is it then bad news for Neera, but good news for Rasaad?

If you give it Jaheira.. Would Khalid still tap that? :P Will she be a man in the next game? What happens to the voice?

:D

EDIT: Sex education in Faerun must be really confusing sometimes..

Comments

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    [deleted for the lols factor]
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Hehehehehe, the good all gender-bending girdle! XD It's one of my favorite magical objects from BG, right next to berserkering sword and ring of folly. So many possibilities, most of them not for PG13 forum... ;D
    Some time ago I was tempted to create a similar thread, except apart from asking some of those questions, I considered encouraging everyone to photoshop the original NPC portraits to show how'd they look "afterwards". I took a stab at this with a few BG2 portraits myself, but the results were kind of 'meh'. Would be fun to see how well other people could trans-gender pictures. :P

• ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    Well, if people feel compelled to want to post pictures like that, then remember:

No granny tranny fanny!

... Unless it's disturbingly hot.

.. but stick to forum rules XD
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    I wonder why it wasn't scripted the way the original AD&D version worked. In Baldur's Gate, it works as long as the Girdle is on, and can be removed (and reversed). The original Girdle of F/M only worked once, and permanently.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    My guess is either: A) Engine Limitations or B) It's supposed to be a lighthearted joke and they didn't want to punish someone so early in the game with a permanent alteration.
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    Engine limitations seem more likely. A cursed item isn't much of a punishment as long as a) you cast Identify or spend 100 gold before using an item, b) you have frequent game saves. Your character is in much greater danger of dying trying to defeat the ogre who carries it. A game save protects against both.
  • AviiAvii Member Posts: 34
    Here is a bigger question, say my mage (Avii) and Aerie are getting close to finishing the romance, and Avii gets drunk in a tavern and bit accident puts on the belt... Will Aerie still love him/her? Wasn't it Avii's personality that won over the lady's heart!?
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    You could have a character who joins the party wearing such an item, how the PC would discover the true nature of the garment and its wearer could make for some lively story telling.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Mortianna said:

If you put the belt on Shar-Teel, does she suddenly become self-loathing?

I actually played a game with her having the belt on the entire time. Nothing happened and I was disappointed.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2012
    elminster said:

Mortianna said:

If you put the belt on Shar-Teel, does she suddenly become self-loathing?

I actually played a game with her having the belt on the entire time. Nothing happened and I was disappointed.
    I believe the banterpack mod perhaps added in the component for Shar-Teel to go apeshit if you put the belt on her. She at first severely warns you then attacks you. Hopefully something similar makes its way into EE.

Post edited by Jaxsbudgie on
    Question: If you had an all female party, and wanted to recruit Shar-Teel, could you use the belt to beat her in the duel to recruit her?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @CaptRory I don't see why not, since the character's sex would be changed to male. Also, does the character who fights Shar-Teel have to be a Fighter or one of its subclasses? I've never tried to recruit her without some sort of a male fighter in my party.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Mortianna said:

@CaptRory I don't see why not, since the character's sex would be changed to male. Also, does the character who fights Shar-Teel have to be a Fighter or one of its subclasses? I've never tried to recruit her without some sort of a male fighter in my party.

Just male. You can end up with a mage running for his life.
    Thanks guys. I'd never tried it before, so I wasn't sure. I was pretty sure it'd work, but you never really know til you try.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Why does Jaheira's personality always have to be linked with her periods? As I've said so many times before, not all women get bad moods during their period... Man and this subject... *sigh* Also, @jaxsbudgie: that first suggestion was inappropriate and offending. Let's keep our real life mother out of this, thanks. It's just not funny at all. And on another note, if Aerie would be changed in gender during pregnancy, the baby would probably die in her belly by suffocation, as it wouldn't be able to get out of the belly. Also, do you honestly think a baby can be born through a person's anus? The womb isn't even connected that way, so it's a ridiculous suggestion. Also, Aerie would have to have the still-born removed through surgery on her belly. So, now that all the bloody details are cleared up and I've hopefully made clear such things are not a laughing matter at all, I will stop discussing this subject.
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    Does it allow or prevent you from dueling what's her face?
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
    CaptRory said:

Question: If you had an all female party, and wanted to recruit Shar-Teel, could you use the belt to beat her in the duel to recruit her?

I assume not. I don't believe the belt changes your gender, it only changes your avatar, and only for a short while. All dialogue and gender checks are unchanged, I believe.
  • CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    Someone's on the blob
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited October 2012
    I read that BG2 decides which NPCs can romance your PC when the game first starts based on your characters sex at the start of the game. If you imported your character into BG2 from BG1 while wearing the girdle, would this perhaps, have an effect on the game's perception of who could romance you, since for the instant before your items get taken away your sex would be different?

To the people discussing how Aerie would be able to give birth if she changed into a man mid-way through her pregnancy, I would think that if she were still capable of carrying the baby to term it would be delivered by a C-section. Since magic exists in the Baldur's Gate universe it would probably be a magical C-section, or maybe involve teleporting the baby in some way.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Mornmagor said:

Angry Kittehh!

Oh relax, as Mortianna said, Jaxsbudgie was joking :p

I don't suppose you're on your per ahem i meant, you don't have take things so seriously :]

P.S. Before you jump at me, i know periods don't affect women like that. It is a joke :p

/Backs away cautiously

Why is if 'funny' I wonder? The best theory I've heard on humor is that it's an aborted threat response. I wonder then what threat there is in an upset woman that you have to infantalize her so. Is it that women can't be angry--that they, like children are slaves of their bodily function and therefore not worthy of serious attention? Are you afraid to take responsibility for your own role in said 'joke' or in the bigger joke we call civilization?
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited October 2012

Mornmagor said:

Angry Kittehh!

Oh relax, as Mortianna said, Jaxsbudgie was joking :p

I don't suppose you're on your per ahem i meant, you don't have take things so seriously :]

P.S. Before you jump at me, i know periods don't affect women like that. It is a joke :p

/Backs away cautiously

Why is if 'funny' I wonder? The best theory I've heard on humor is that it's an aborted threat response. I wonder then what threat there is in an upset woman that you have to infantalize her so. Is it that women can't be angry--that they, like children are slaves of their bodily function and therefore not worthy of serious attention? Are you afraid to take responsibility for your own role in said 'joke' or in the bigger joke we call civilization?
    This is probably a long shot, but do you think there is a chance that, the "theories" you heard about humor don't apply to every case?
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324

So, I just flew in from Calimshan, and boy are my arms tired!