Skip to content

Baldur's Gate EE is a cheap moneygrab. No? Prove me wrong then!

HadrielHadriel Member Posts: 13
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
1. The adventure "Black Pits" is not even incorporated within the game itself.
2. Portraits are not in style with the original portraits.
3. 95% of "400 fixes" are being done by the gamers/community, not developers. It's free labor.
4. Some refinement content is being added from modders who gave them their permission, Beamdog just added it to the game, just like anyone can. PPE yes.
5. Translations are done by gamers/community.
6. User interface does not feel professionally made. Yes I know Beamdog has been telling how much they have to fight the code, but that's not the customers problem. That's YOUR problem, especially since we are paying for this product.
7. Widescreen and high resolutions has also been made available by modders, once again, it's been done by the community/gamers.

So to sum it up, this is what's left to be honest:
1. A few soundsets, some refined "art cinematics" and 3 new npcs. THAT. IS. IT. Does that sound like 20 dollars worth to you? I would love someone to objectively disagree with me. Yes I was there playing 24/7 when vanilla BG first launched. The thing is I have actually managed to take the nostalgia glasses off and see the forest for the trees now.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Baldur's Gate EE

1. I know, but this doesn't really contribute anything to your argument?
    2. The BG2 portraits are not in the same style as the BG1 portraits,but again this doesn't add anything to your argument
    3. I don't understand where this statistic comes from, and I am certain that the only people with access to the source code of BG:EE are team members :/
    4. You could decide you don't like the mods being added in but this was never an advertised feature in any of the promotional stuff so I don't think this adds anything to your argument?
    5. I don't play the translated versions but I agree this sounds a reasonable enough complaint, particularly if you are concerned about possible substandard translations
    6. Feel professionally made? Do you mean doesn't look professional? UI aethetics are a matter of personal taste - a lot of people have criticised some or all of it, others are pleased with the change. I don't see many people criticising that it looks "unprofessional" though, just different and for some people, worse.
    7. Yes but the widescreen and higher resolution mods have all had major issues with text, spacing and readability which remain problems to this day. Again this doesn't really add anything to your point and contradicts point 3. Surelyjust using the existing modded version would be the cheap money-grubbing solution?

Overall it seems that your point is more that you don't like the proposed enhanced edition enhancements, and this list is 7 of your least favourite aspects - but not very many of your issues support your opening statement
    . I will have to assume that the title was more a headline grabbing way of getting people into this thread rather than the main basis of the arguments you have presented here

Of course I can't "Prove" anything wrong, but I can demonstrate failure to coherently support your argument.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    1. I will give you this point, it is not.
    2. And yet other portraits you download will not always be in the same style as the original either. Frankly I really enjoy the new portraits and plan on adding in the IWD and IWD2 portraits into the game anyway. Therefore the new portraits do not bother me.
    3. And yet the developers are also working with the same community to make it even easier to mod and install mods in the game. And we don't know for certain that there has been no payment or other incentives for these mod creators that are allowing Beamdog to use their work.
    4. See #3
    5. The benefit of this (not saying you're wrong) is that fewer things will be lost in translation.
    6. I personally like the new user interface. Giving me your opinion and then trying to present it as fact is just a bad argument. And frankly as someone who has worked with code before I understand their problems and respect the trouble they had to go through.
    7. All the current widescreen mod does is put a black frame around my screen and otherwise resizes it. Furthermore the game currently has multiple problems on windows 7, which updated support and what they've currently done seek to eliminate. Heck just updated official support for the game at all would be worth $20.

Summary:
    1. Finally considering Trent was on the original BG, I'm willing to give him an $18 chance to recreate my favorite series of all time and updated for our age.
  • HadrielHadriel Member Posts: 13
    Who the hell said that Beamdog is worthy of making Baldur's Gate III? Just because they have some of the developers back doesn't mean they have the quality of the original team, not by a longshot. I'm pretty sure all the _key_ members from the original Black Isle are missing, hence this "Enhanced Edition" doesn't smell of quality so far.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Rumor has it that GOG are releasing a not-so enhanced edition with the original interface, no fixes, Mac support and no DLC for anyone who doesn't want to buy Beamdog's upcoming version.

On a serious note a Mac standalone & support version is worth $50+ for me
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Hadriel said:

The thing is I have actually managed to take the nostalgia glasses off and see the forest for the trees now.

Forest troll sees BG:EE but doesn't see the support for BG2:EE, IWD:EE, IWD2:EE, and BG3 behind all those bucks, all twenty of them.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    ZelgadisGW, that video is hilarious. =)
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    1. I agree. I personally don't really care much for the black pits. But I've heard something about an "adventure Y", so that's another adventure.
    2. They are, they just need to increase the contrast a bit and finetune.
    3. Could you make a list of those 375 fixes? Sure, some of those fixes have been fixed by modders, but in my experience those fixes aren't perfect.
    5. So what? Are you saying they should have hired professional translators, and sell this game for 30$ instead? Oh, wait, then you'll complain even more about the cost of this game.
    6. Uh... really? So the overhaul team spends a lot of effort and money on fixing the code, and then you complain that this is a cheap money grab? Those programmers have to get paid too, you know.
    7. The widescreen mod doesn't upscale the game view on high resolutions or has a zoom feature. The widescreen mod doesn't support widescreen GUI. Like I said, most mods get the job done, but they're not perfect.

You're also ignoring a few important things:
    a. Maybe you only care about the PC version, but other people want to play on a tablet. Porting an old game to tablets isn't an easy task and costs money. You can't expect that for free.
    b. Baldur's gate is an entire game, and you're paying for the entire game, not just the additional content. People who have never played the game get hundreds of hours of new content for just 20$. I don't see how you're entitled to a discount because you already played it.
    One more thing, I don't care if you have a god damn IPAD or whatever that you cuddle with before you go to sleep. This is from the perspective of PC gamers only. So whatever "worth" YOU get because of your ipad etc, just take it out of the equation. This product, so far, has not shown anything remotely resembling quality imho, except for the music from Sam Hulick. And the funny thing is, once again, that his music is in no way part of the campaign experince for the obvious reason.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    I have to admit though, that I pre-ordered BG:EE with a certain degree of blind faith. Whether I continue to support future enhancement projects largely depends on whether BG:EE can live up to its expectations, high expectations.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Hadriel said:

One more thing, I don't care if you have a god damn IPAD or whatever that you cuddle with before you go to sleep. This is from the perspective of PC gamers only. So whatever "worth" YOU get because of your ipad etc, just take it out of the equation. This product, so far, has not shown anything remotely resembling quality imho, except for the music from Sam Hulick. And the funny thing is, once again, that his music is in no way part of the campaign experince for the obvious reason.

Hmmm ok for sake of curiosity, what features would you consider worthy of being 'enhanced'?
  • RhulqdahrRhulqdahr Member Posts: 28
    I agree with most of the points but I have similar opinion about this whole underaking as @Shin. I just want to give Beamdog a chance, see what they can do.

Plus, you can't really say if it's worth it or not before you see the added content. If everything they wrote on the main page is true we should have additional 15+ hours of gameplay (hopefully a good quality gameplay). People are willing to pay the money for what they think is worth it. See the game called LIMBO for example, it costs 10 euros and can be completed in 3 hours or even less but still is very liked and highly recommended by players.

It's too soon to judge I'd say.
    @Hadriel

I respectfully ask that you please change your argumentative tone on this forum. There is no reason for your hostility or tone.

I'm willing to have a discussion about your concerns but we can do so in a friendly, reasonable manner.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    We need to ignore this thread and let it die.

It's not remotely a discussion, just a rant about a product none of us have had the chance to play in a completed form yet.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Hadriel said:

In that case, I guess I'd like to buy Battlefield 3 (and other games) for 30$. I didn't ask them to develop for the PS3, XBOX or IOS, so why should I pay 60$? Let's all just stop buying multi-platform games alltogether. Yeah, I don't think I'll be playing a lot of games anymore.

Oh, another important feature: fixed multiplayer. I think anyone who ever played this game in multiplayer can see how this is a big feature.
    @Arsene_Lupin

You're point here is false. @Tanthalas has confirmed that in other threads. The new NPCs will be able to interact with the old NPCs throughout the game.
  • RhulqdahrRhulqdahr Member Posts: 28
    Hadriel said:

Who the hell said that Beamdog is worthy of making Baldur's Gate III? Just because they have some of the developers back doesn't mean they have the quality of the original team, not by a longshot. I'm pretty sure all the _key_ members from the original Black Isle are missing, hence this "Enhanced Edition" doesn't smell of quality so far.

It's not about being worthy, it's about acquiring the rights to the franchise.
    You know, there is this other group, they made an enhanced edition as well, it's called Black Source: Mesa. I'm part of the team. How come we have managed to actually make a quality product without charging for it? On the other hand, you got "professionals" at Beamdog, again with a BUDGET, and they turn out this, and actually want cash for it. I'm a fanboy of Baldur's Gate too, and would probably defend it to death as well, had our roles reversed. I understand how you feel. :)
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    @Dragonspear That's nice, but all the posts I've seen have said just the opposite.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Why would a professional artist choose to work for free? If you want to do so, go ahead, but I don't see why you should use that as a reason for others to suffer.
    @Arsene_Lupin

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/71333/#Comment_71333

There is a link to the comment itself. @Tanthalas is one of our mods on the forum and works with Beamdog
This discussion has been closed.