Skip to content

Baldur's Gate EE is a cheap moneygrab. No? Prove me wrong then!

13»

Comments

• Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    @zarffyn : made 1, It`s pretty poor, just like the subject.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2012
    I'll be honest I dont really understand why there is a huge argument. I mean some people find value in what beamdog is doing and others don't. The best thing I can say to OP is vote with your dollars if you dont like what they are doing, but it doesnt mean you have to spoil everyone else's fun and spend your free time convincing others that they shouldnt spend any money on it either.

I just dont get it. It's not like beamdog is going to read this and change their ways or people on the forums are gonna say you know what hes right, I wont buy it anymore.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    So what's the point of this thread again?
    Moneygrab or not (Subjective) you don't have to purchase the game, beamdog isn't killing kittens for every copy unsold (Digital, how would dat work)
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    I basically feel the same way others have. If you don't like it, you can always play the original or not buy it. No one has forced you into anything.

Me personally I'm looking forward to playing some multiplayer with a group of friends that used to play this game back when we were kids.
  • Dancing_PotatoDancing_Potato Member Posts: 1
    i dont understand why would you say, that beamdog is unable to do or lacking in skills to do BG3/new iso-rpg. I mean they didn't even do any game of their own from start to finish (as Beamdog of course), and keep in mind that Trent worked on BG and he was main guy behind NWN not to mention that other guys at beamdog are proffesional dev's with lots of experience. You really think they don't have what it takes to do BG3 ?
    Also making your own game is totally different from enhancing an oldie with all of those constraints of deals,licences and so on.

New portraits in my opinion are awesome, i love IWD artwork and i would love to see more of that kind.
    Trent mentioned he wanted to give some other artstyle in BG to choose from, is that really a bad thing? More options in my opinion is better. Besides portraits from BG 1 were in BG 2 and they also had different artstyle and it didnt break the game...

And as for argument about new features and complaint about lack of big visual changes. Do you know that all original art/assets were lost? It would be probably too expensive to make all of the visuals from scratch.And whats more they have many deal/contract constraints which are probably the cause of what gets and how it gets enhanced.

And keep in mind that it's a small company with a budget that has its limits . I think they are doing a great job with all of those limitations. In my opinion all of the new stuff is worth its price, from the compatibility with new systems to new in-game content. I like that they are trying to give us the best BG version you can possibly have and thats worth supporting in my opinion.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    For odd some reason, this discussion reminded me of Jabberjaw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnXgEuH2XRU
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Hadriel - yes, it's a 100% money grab. Don't buy it. Go elsewhere and uncover other rip-offs while we happily support this project.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Hadriel I agree with you except for 2, I enjoy the new portraits. Sure, the beta team is doing a large bulk of the maintenance, but who cares? They've willingly agreed to work on a game for nothing and make it better than ever. They're doing things the Beamdog team couldn't do with all the time in the world.

Go look at the list of beta testers, those guys know how this game works. I'm not paying for a game that doesn't require modding. By coding every fix into the engine, the beta testers group are finding things they NEVER would have without this endeavour.

So what I'm paying for is a game that only needs four mods, not 30+ because the extra content and NPCs are no interest for me.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Regarding the question of whether Beamdog has what it takes to make BG3, I don't see how that is answerable now, because no one has played BG:EE yet. For me, gameplay/story is everything. I'm reserving judgement on Beamdog's abilities until after I've played the new quests.

Rumor has it that GOG are releasing a not-so enhanced edition with the original interface, no fixes, Mac support and no DLC for anyone who doesn't want to buy Beamdog's upcoming version.

You were making a joke, right? Because GOG doesn't have Mac versions of anything, not even the games that have Mac versions elsewhere.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I think it's time for this thread to die as was proposed 2 pages ago. It's obvious this hadriel troll doesn't read or care what most people think. He has a burr up his arse for some reason (again as i stated before, without presenting arguments other than...they screwed up pics so what good are they argument according to him) yet if he read anything at all he'd see that the devs aren't finished tweaking). I've tried to be polite with my post in suggesting what he needs to do to present a proper argument lest he be seen as a useless troll but now i'm tired of this idjit.

Hadriel, you present yet again the same arguments about the lack of confidence in this team to make a BG3 yet not why? You still don't present any real arguments hadriel, just a personal opinion based on nothing, so as the expression goes, either put up better arguments or stfu. Do you know every guy on the team personally? And what's this beef with Trent Oster anyways since you seem to single him out over e1 else.

And loving a classic game doesn't make people "fanboys" by the definition of the word, so don't call me a fanboy son, you don't know me. Ive seen very few posts here that were truly( with 1 or 2 exceptions) fanboy-esque arguments. Just sensible people sharing a love of a classic game and presenting sensible and calm points about things they like or don't like so far with some of the current revamping that is BG:EE. As an old man who's learned game design and game programing, i can tell you there's still plenty of time to change things a bit, neaten them up , make minor changes here and there and they're keeping it open for more patching to tweak even after release. I'd rather pay $17 even for a revamped and tweaked version of my all time favourite classic game than waste$50-$60 on crap like diablo3 and sorry, but WoW is a piece of sugar coated garbage too yet they had huge teams, huge budgets yet still...food for thought.
    @Gilgalahad Instead of running him into the dirt, why don't you people just ignore him? He actually made some very good points, such as the beta team are doing most of the work. Yes, they are doing most of the correction, fixes and bugs, they volunteered so they can expect no pay for it.

See the beautiful thing about the internet is, when somebody's rude, you don't have to react to it. Take advantage of it and grow up everybody.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2012
    I always give people the benefit of the doubt Ward and i do it in 3 stages. Stage 1 was constructive criticism and offer of ways to help himself present his case better. Second phase if phase 1 fails is the severe fatherly talk like the equivalent of a minor spanking combined with, hopefully words of wisdom. Third stage i wave the white flag and ignore them. Above post was stage 2. :-)

And i REALLY need to find myself a decent avatar pic asap. That avatar face i have now is just plain....creepy *shivers*.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Are we experiencing the usual internet nonsense?

Yes, we are.
    @Gilgalahad Unlike a lot of pople he offered a good case, for a 'troll'. This is a forum, people don't need to present evidence and cite their references and prove why they have an opinion particularly.

Nobody asks people to word it better when they like something. Just let him have his say and be done with it. All I did was tell him what I thought of BG:EE, instead of be cruel to him.

I just get sick of everybody shitting on each other.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    anyways, reason i'm buying this game is so that me and my wife can play. we've tried to play the old bg with trilogy installed, but no matter how we do it, she says trying to play it hurts her eyes. But she does have an ipad if it gets too bad, so finally i'll be able to play bgt with my asawa ko :)
  • BubbleboyBubbleboy Member Posts: 68
    I actually agree with Hadriel
    I didn't know the black pits wasn't for singleplayer.
    It is a money grabber from the points he made.
    I also just want to point out to everyone that said that the team will keep adding stuff after it's release, as a bonus point.
    Those things will undoubtably not be free. These people are professionals.

However i will buy it, mainly because i DO want the extra, however small, professional content and because i want to support the community.
    More money they make, the longer they will keep working on it, and more chance that other modders will come to make new mods for the game as well.

Also the BG3 doesn't sound bad, however i have really low hope for it actually living up to it's predecessors, unless they did some insane fixing on infinity engine limitations.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited September 2012

I believe The Black Pits is also for single player..
    I find this discussion stupid, there's no money grab involved, if people don't think so, then don't buy it.
    Just from what's announced, I'll get my money's worth, and then some!

EDIT
    Dang!
    Everytime I use my iPad and try to quote someone in my posts, it just adds "Undefined"...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    The proof will be in the pudding.

For all we know Hadriel could be essentially right in substance, irrespective of his hatred or how obnoxiously he is expressing his views.

We'll learn in just 9 days whether or not:

- the game runs fast as greased lighting and bug-free on modern OSs, platforms, and higher end gaming rigs
    - cross-platform works (versus being a bug-ridden train wreck)
    - the visual improvements are impressive; higher native resolutions, zoom, flipbook animations, alpha-blending, etc., either will or won't make the game look noticeably prettier
    - the new GUI looks and feels more pleasing
    - the three new NPCs and their quests are well written
    - newly written NPC interaction between old and new NPCs is well drawn and entertaining (ditto for interaction between new NPCs)
    - the three new friendship/flirt pre-romance paths for the new NPCs are well written
    - the new Blackguard kit and help for Monk class at lower levels works
    - the Black Pits is a well designed and satisfying adventure module (if I understand correctly the goal is not just to pit fight but to escape)
    - the new PC portraits and voice sets are winners

(Sorry if I forgot anything, still having my coffee.)

I do think that all (or nearly all) of the above have to succeed by meeting a very high basic professional standard. If these things all pass muster and/or are exceptionally good, then it's all good.

If however Beamdog misses the mark on too many of these goals, then either they have rushed the project and/or lacked the resources to pull it off from the getgo.

Naturally I'm pulling for a relatively small company like this with an innovative plan to become a roaring success. I love what they're attempting to do, and support it on general principles. I just hope they can actually pull it off!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Invites otherwise to "prove him wrong," but does not refute any of the counterarguments.

Terrible troll. 2/10 would not bang.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Hadriel

I'm getting tired of your disrespectful posts. Either tone down the vitriol or there's going to be a lot deleting going around.
  • HadrielHadriel Member Posts: 13
    CBA to rewrite it all again. Not gonna refute stuff. I stand by what I said. This entire thing looks like an epic fail. I will give it a shot though, through PB.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    Let me make myself perfectly clear:
    It is my opinion that the OP is wrong.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    PB?
  • HadrielHadriel Member Posts: 13
    Tanthalas, stop sucking on Trent's cock for a second and listen up. BG-series are my fav. games of all time. I don't have the game, I hate the piece of shit "developers" trying to "improve" on legendaries. Got that? Good, you can go back to sucking cocks now.

And to all you other tools defending Beamdog's effort: you will eat your own words when this piece of shit comes out in a week. Im always right in the end.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Lemernis

I'm guessing PB is Pirate Bay.
This discussion has been closed.