Skip to content

It is possible to use wands and scrolls with any character with int 9?

Ok. I just read, after bitching for years that thiefs don't get the ability to use scrolls, that any character can use scrolls with int 9.

Is this true? I don't remember it being that way, when I first played BG, when it was released.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Each wand has its own "pool" of character classes who can use it or not.

For example, the Wand of Fire can be used by wizards and bards. The Wand of Heavens can be used by clerics and druids. The Wand of Missiles can be used by nearly everyone with INT 9 (except for Wizard Slayers).

As for the scrolls, arcane scrolls can be used by arcane casters, divine scrolls - by divine casters, and special green scrolls by nearly everyone with INT 9 (again, except for Wizard Slayers).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    bengoshi said:

The Wand of Heavens can be used by clerics and druids.

Also monks!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    iceblade said:

Ok. I just read, after bitching for years that thiefs don't get the ability to use scrolls, that any character can use scrolls with int 9.

Is this true? I don't remember it being that way, when I first played BG, when it was released.

mayhaps way back in the vanilla bg days, intelligence wasn't a requirement, but the bg2 engine implemented ability scores to item use ( for example in vanilla bg I could have branwen wear full platemail while in EE, unless I crank her strength, no dice)

in vanilla SoA minsc couldn't use scrolls, but I don't quite remember vanilla bg being the same, but in any case, SoA brought in the ability score thing, and since bgee uses the SoA stuff, that is the way its going to be

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Intelligence was a requirement for wands and scrolls in the original BG1. I just checked in my gog.com version for it.
  • icebladeiceblade Member Posts: 19
    Shame. I guess the 85% chance for bards and the 75% chance of thiefes to read scrolls is just too powerful.