Skip to content

2015 took another one ... RIP Lemmy Kilmister

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
edited December 2015 in Off-Topic

On it's way out, 2015 decided to take another great one with it.

We mourn the death of Lemmy Kilmister, bassist and singer of the hard rock and heavy metal band Motörhead.
Just a few days after his 70th birthday on Christmas Eve, he passed away on December 28th.

It was mere days before that it was discovered that he indeed had fallen ill with cancer.

Rest in peace, Kill Master.

Post edited by Buttercheese on
Troodon80iKrivetkodunbarKamigoroshiJamesKilivitzproccoJuliusBorisov

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    One more legend of heavy metal that I couldn't see live is gone. Thank you for everything, Lemmy.
    Buttercheese
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Come on people die every day.

Although it's too bad I didn't get to see them either.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I was lucky enough to see him play live way back in the days of Hawkwind - R.I.P.
    Wandering_Minstrel
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

Remind me not to invite you to any funerals.
    ButtercheeseYupImMadBro
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Kilivitz said:

Definitely an odd comment lol, and Motorhead was a great band. Lemmy had been in ill health for some time, though I believe he played almost up to the end, as you would expect.
    Kilivitzkillerrabbit
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Hard to believe Lemmy is gone -- he seemed like a constant.

I think I will celebrate by asking someone to lemme five quid. [*]

John Bradbury who helped create the two tone sound also died:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35194738

Not as colorful a figure but also a genre-breaker who had a huge impact upon contemporary music.

[*] This wasn't a dig, I think death can be time to reflect upon the individual and celebrate life -- I want my funeral to be a celebration.
    KilivitzButtercheeseAnduin
    Kilivitz said:

It's a stupid superstitious ritual anyway. Like it matters what happens to your body after you're dead.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    ^ True, you won't be around to care what happens to your body. Which is why my body is going to have the organs removed and then be used to teach medical students how to operate. Better than stuffing it full of chemicals and burying it in an overpriced box . . .

But funerals are for the living -- they allow those who cared for the dead to process their feelings of loss and an opportunity to review fond memories. And they can be a good excuse for a party.
    ButtercheeseKilivitzYupImMadBro
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im actually amazing he lived as long as he did, he did some pretty hard drug and alcohol abuse for years, and I don't think he calmed down on the booze, so to hit 70, he had a pretty good run, as long as he was having fun doing what he was doing, good enough for me
    ButtercheeseAnduinYupImMadBro

^ True, you won't be around to care what happens to your body. Which is why my body is going to have the organs removed and then be used to teach medical students how to operate. Better than stuffing it full of chemicals and burying it in an overpriced box . . .

But funerals are for the living -- they allow those who cared for the dead to process their feelings of loss and an opportunity to review fond memories. And they can be a good excuse for a party.

@killerrabbit You're thinking about a wake. A funeral is all about stuffing the body full of chemicals and burying it in an overpriced box as you said. You can review memories and process feelings without a funeral.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @FinneousPJ Would you kindly stop, this is hardly the place to discuss this. Go make your own thread.
    Maybe you should be tagging @Kilivitz who initiated the discussion instead of agreeing lol
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I was never a big Motorhead fan but I am a huge Metallica fan. Lemmy was a big inspiration for those guys so it's tough to see him go.
    sarevok57
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Lemmy, Nimoy, Craven, Loggia, Sir Lee... damn this year!
    Troodon80Buttercheese
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    2015 was a bad year for celebrities. One of my favorite old school actresses pass on as well http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000058/ Maureen O'Hara
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

Lemmy, Nimoy, Craven, Loggia, Sir Lee... damn this year!

And Terry Pratchett. :-(
    Buttercheese