Skip to content

Lockpicking Important?

NemNem Member Posts: 51
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
It's been so long since I've played BG1 I can't recall... Is lockpicking at all important? Am I going to miss out on anything special by being unable to pick locks?

I'm trying to decide if/when I will dual-class Imoen. I'm for sure going to have her ready for traps, but I may forget about the rest, unless there's a possibility of missing out on some nice items. (Not necessary to say what I'll miss, just a vague answer is fine).

Thanks.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The game is full of locked containers and doors, so you will miss out on a fair amount of loot/gold, and likely won't be able to access all quests. I definitely wouldn't recommend playing without someone able to pick locks.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited September 2012
    You can cover during the dual class period using the level 2 mage spell knock, or just have a melee bash things. You won't get XP for either of those 2 ways though.
  • NemNem Member Posts: 51
    @Corvino
    So excluding XP I won't be missing out? Are locks that easy to bash? Or is the knock spell that easy to come across?

Thanks again!
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Nem said:

@Corvino
    So excluding XP I won't be missing out? Are locks that easy to bash? Or is the knock spell that easy to come across?

Thanks again!

Don't know the exact details, but you have to be fairly strong in order to bash things open.

Moreover, you'll miss the thrill of hearing the *click* *click* sound when successfully lockpicking. Best sound ever!
    Iirc there's a knock scroll at the bottom of the cloakwood mines, which is likely to be about the point you'll dual class Imoen. A couple of them in your 2nd level slots will tide you over.

Bash % for Minsc is 40%, 45% for anyone wearing gauntlets of ogre power.

Tbh I don't like running without an active thief, but I'll be doing the same thing (dual classing) with a canon party on release day.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I always find it frustrating trying to play without someone who can pick locks. Bashing to open chests never seems to work for me even if I've got a bunch of guys with 18 STR.
    I'm cool with missing out on some gold. I just hate missing out on magic items, and more importantly, quests (as Shin mentioned). Are there really quests that require lockpicking? Or will knock/bash get me to those as well?
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    In BG2 there are some involving the thieves guild that require some lockpicking I believe.

But really, it seems that almost half of the BG NPCs are cross/class or dual/class thieves. I don't think it's really a big deal to have one around.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    If I remember correctly, you use lock-picking as skill for disarming traps - find traps does just that, detects them. And you can't disarm a trap with Knock, although using summoned fodder to spring them works well enough.
  • ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69
    @Kosen
    That is incorrect. You use the same icon, but the skill is based on detect traps, not open lock.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    Actually you can't rely on bashing because with normal strength (up to 18) it is too small chance to bash the lock.
    Look at tables(Bashing %) and when you get to really difficult locks I think there is even smaller chance to open it (but don't actually know the game mechanic if it really becomes more difficult to bash).
    OK. Is years since I last played so wasn't sure if I remembered it right or not.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I equally split my thief points between Find Traps and Open Locks... My Pick Pockets and Stealth are at 100% at game start - Its called reloading. Zing.
    Another question: What's the ideal level for detect traps and lockpicking respectively? Talking high enough to get me through BG1.

Thanks.
    100%
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    As high as you can get them. You can detect traps from farther away and you detect them faster the higher your skill level is. Nothing sucks more than running through a hallway, hearing the ominous *click* of a trap and only then seeing areas of your screen light up with more traps as the fireball arcs in to roast your whole party to a crunchy golden brown.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    gotta love the insta-death crushing traps in BG2. Oh sorry, you had CHARNAME in the lead? Hope you saved recently.
    The best trapfinding skill is knowing where all the traps are because it's your hundredth playthrough. But you can't put points in that.

If it's all narrow and twisty, think traps. If there's a narrow bridge or bottleneck in a dungeon, think traps. If you're anywhere is Durlag's Tower, think traps.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Khalid can handle the traps no need for trap detection.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    To me, lockpicking is possibly the most important skill in the game after basic weapon proficiency. Too much good stuff behind locked doors and chests.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited September 2012
    Nem said:

I'm cool with missing out on some gold. I just hate missing out on magic items, and more importantly, quests (as Shin mentioned). Are there really quests that require lockpicking? Or will knock/bash get me to those as well?

There are definitely quests that require locked containers to be opened (e.g. telescope in Hall of Wonders) and quest givers/objectives/guys with good loot that are behind locked doors (e.g. Ramazith), but the knock spell will work for those as well, possibly bash too. The drawback with knock is obviously that you need some serious metagaming to know which containers/doors are useful to spend a knock on.
    edited September 2012
    Alright looks like I'll be getting both after all.

Do I really need 100% in both?

Edit: Also, is it worth running 2 mages for BG1? I have a feeling it's not necessary to roll with more than one (found it useful for BG2).
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    For BG1, you only need roughly 75 in both. Ignore the "percentage" icon. Traps and chests work off a flat value. I'm not entirely sure how the dice works when it comes to opening things, but you can open any chest and disarm (almost) any trap.

Definitely focus on disarm trap more so than open lock, long story short.
    @sandmanCCL

Hmm alight I may give that a try. 75 for both and then go mage.

Thanks!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I go up to level 6 on imoen and then change her. I end up evenly splitting her points between traps and lockpicking and its good enough for all of BG1.

And 2 mages are useful. Since Dynaheir is an Invoker she can't cast enchanment magic. This allows imoen to fill your gap for a control mage. Sleep and Hold person are the 2 big enchantment spells that I'm thinking of here. Add in Dynaheir with Web and Horror and you can take out large groups of enemies really easily.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    I dont know is it just me, but I couldnt live without looting.
    that sound of opening chest ....pure joy!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If you don't have sufficient lockpicking skills to loot the final chest upstairs in the Candlekeep inn, you're seriously missing out.

Of course, if you're starting the game as a thief, all that extra gold won't really help you too much anyway...

I go up to level 6 on imoen and then change her. I end up evenly splitting her points between traps and lockpicking and its good enough for all of BG1.

And 2 mages are useful. Since Dynaheir is an Invoker she can't cast enchanment magic. This allows imoen to fill your gap for a control mage. Sleep and Hold person are the 2 big enchantment spells that I'm thinking of here. Add in Dynaheir with Web and Horror and you can take out large groups of enemies really easily.

Curious, but what are Imoen's starting thief skills, and how many may I assign per level?

Thank you all for your comments. :)