Skip to content

What you're really buying

oseasweroseaswer Member Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I created this account just to respond to that Hadriel guy about whether you'd get your money's worth or not. The thread got closed so I'll just post my response here.

I think there is a difference between a complete makeover and just some cosmetic enhancements. This product is not a remake with the likes of Resident Evil for Gamecube. This is simply, what appears to be, a well-executed re-release with some cosmetic enhancement.

What you're really buying is an excuse to play the same game you played years ago but with some added features. In my opinion, I'd say it's worth it. I could buy the old product for cheap but I wouldn't' be sure it could run on my laptop as I lack the expertise to configure old windows software. If you're expecting a brand-new experience you're looking in the wrong place.

The most important thing is you're not just buying BG1, you're buying the possibility of additional re-releases and even, the holy grail, BG3. Yes, I believe this is not a one-time thing; that the developer sprung up just to grab some quick cash and disappear. I think if there is enough interest, we might see the possibility of BG3 maybe as a kickstarter project.

Even so, I think this is better than a kickstarter project because you're paying for actual product, not merely the possibility of product like the gloried pre-order system that is basically kickstarter. This product is tangible, it's yours in less than 10 days. For me, it's worth it for the remembrance of my favorites games of all time

With that said, I am saddened there are no additional good-alligned NPCs, the team seemed to focus on evil only. That's the only "complaint" I have. Oh and the level cap is disappointing too. BG1 always felt inferior to BG2 in terms of the leveling system. I like to cast lev 9 spells :O

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    ? I thought only Dorn was evil. Neera is NG from what I can tell and Rasaad is (I think LN). This seems one G/N/E to choose from, I think.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Yeah, the impression I have from the interviews and podcasts with Trent Oster is that this Beamdog crew really loves the BG games. I really doubt that it's a moneygrab.

It's a strong value for a good price. I think if they succeed with the goals they have for this project, it will be a home run. Let's hope the character writing, story writing, and voice acting are topflight for all the new content.

My hope is that they make something strikingly similar in graphical feel and game play--although obviously superior in all the ways that make sense--when they get the chance to make BG3.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I still play with my original discs too. BG is seriously the best RPG ever made. It's got the most replayability of any title I've ever played... I've been playing it for 10 years and I can honestly say there's still party combos and dialogue I haven't seen yet.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    oseaswer said:

The most important thing is you're not just buying BG1, you're buying the possibility of additional re-releases and even, the holy grail, BG3. Yes, I believe this is not a one-time thing; that the developer sprung up just to grab some quick cash and disappear. I think if there is enough interest, we might see the possibility of BG3 maybe as a kickstarter project.

This is exactly it! Not only can the developers gauge the temperature in the BG community concerning a possible BG3 release, they can a) procure the money needed to start such a project (hopefully) and b) rekindle gamers' interest in these fantastic games.

Fantastic post. 10/10
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    oseaswer said:

With that said, I am saddened there are no additional good-alligned NPCs, the team seemed to focus on evil only. That's the only "complaint" I have. Oh and the level cap is disappointing too. BG1 always felt inferior to BG2 in terms of the leveling system. I like to cast lev 9 spells :O

Man, your complaints suck. Hahaha I'm half-joking but I do have to respond to this.
    1. Yes there is an additional good NPC. We're not positive who yet but there is a Good, Neutral, and Evil. Which puts the NPC count up to 10 Good, 9 Neutral, and 9 Evil. That's incredibly even and I don't see how you can even be remotely sad with that awesome NPC line up. What IS awful, is BG2's 7 Good, 6 Neutral (one of which who dies), 4 Evil. Blargh.
    2. Cry me a river. BG1 plays better BG2 you just get overpowered. To each their own there.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    ...Dorn is the only new party member that is Evil-aligned. Neera is probably some flavor of Neutral and Rasaad is probably Lawful Good.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    @Jaxsbudgie I only recently played DAO, and it's really the only "new" RPG I've played. Do you know how much the whole camp thing confused me? That and the fact that in combat, you're not dead, you pop back up after the enemies are cleared. It took me FOREVER to figure that out. As soon as someone went down, I was reloading. lol
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Jaxbudgie

IWhat I really dislike about modern Bioworn RPG games are the 'homebase' areas. In Dragon Age: Origins it was that SAME camp (what did you bring the bloody trees, rocks and grass with you as well?!) and in Mass Effect it was the Normandy. I hated the 'oh look here are all my NPCs, spread about the place in nooks and crannies that correspond with their personality types, I can go and initiate dialogue with each before the next mission, oh yay' rinse, repeat. BAH!

The first game I remember having that feature was NWN2, and boy, was it weird - especially when NPC's started gossiping about me apparently flirting with one of them, and I was like, WTF, I don't even speak with the guy? And then at the end - bam - he's in love! Apparently I was flirting with him by acting in a way he approved of. Wow. How engaging. O_o
    Botched up romance aside, apparently there was the problem of you having no control over who you will accept into your group. I only played once and grabbed everyone I got, so I didn't notice it, but I read someone complaining that he said over and over that he doesn't want the crazy mage girl with attitude, and she still joined. Another thing was the ranger guy who was only joinable somewhere like 2/3 in the game... and then he betrayed me. Yeah, I totally had the time to get to know him and start to give a dang about him. *eyeroll* Not.
    Now compare this to much older BG series - it actually HURT the first time I got to Spellhold. I was carrying the traitor's personal weapon in my backpack for the rest of the game, getting sad every time I looked at it. In BG1, I cried when I discovered what happened in Candlekeep, and later, when upon returning to Baldur's Gate I heard the news about Scar. I even cried out when my NPC got petrified the first time!
    DA:O had a some of that emotional impact as well, but to much lesser degree.
    It appears that developers of RPG games have a backward learning curve - it's like someone at some point said: "hey, we got it perfectly the first time, now let's dump everything that worked and just bring on more gore and desire demons, people will love that!"
    ;)

• SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Re: Compatibility - My laptop came with Vista and I badly wanted to remove it. However, I discovered that Vista could run my version of BG, but Windows 7 could not without weird errors. Who'd have thought that keeping Vista would turn out to be a good idea? I'm sure BG:EE will be compatible with more OS. This is a big deal for me as I want to move on to a newer system.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's also the fact that the enhanced edition will be a lot simpler to mod than the original. That's part of what Cam has been doing for the last six months, fighting off the Hardcodaemons and making the game's infrastructure a little bit easier to manipulate, so that when the modders get their hands on it, they'll be able to do a lot more than they were previously able to do.
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2012
    Plus, I'm not a modding expert, so every time I install the game and apply some of the mods, I'm always hoping not to screw something up, or to overwrite on some other previous mod, or to make my pc crush and burn screaming.

It's a relief to know that there's an edition of the game with some of the most prominent mods built-in, the code polished, done by professionals who love the game at least as much as I do, and that made it more mod-friendly - so that I just have to install the game and relax playing it.

Even without all the other reasons (additional content, continuous support, DLCs, overhaul of BG2 too, possibility of BG3, IWD:EE and Torment:EE), that's well worth 18 bucks (14 euros!), for me.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Quartz

You really only have 3 evil characters in BG2. (Korgan, Viconia, Edwin)

Considering how late you get Sarevok, I really don't count him.

Since Overhaul has already confirmed that the 3 new NPCs will be in BG2 the numbers are this.

8 Good (+Rasaad)
    7 Neutral (+Neera, lose Yoshi halfway through)
    5 Evil (+Dorn, +Sarevok in ToB)

If they can find a way to get us up to like 9 9 8 or something closer to BG1 I'd be thrilled. As it is they already mentioned in the AMAA that they'd be adding a pure thief in BG2 but really didn't tell us more than that.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Finally! Lately I've seen several people talking down on bgee, like it's not enough. I say its more than enough because it is just that, "Enhanced". It has plenty of new features, with promises of more to come. It's good to know I'm not the only one actually looking forward to this game, without criticizing it at every turn.
    edited September 2012

How about we have professionals in charge of the IP who can offer ONE STANDARD PRODUCT so multiplayer works smoothly, can continue to provide support for the game on a level better and beyond what fans can do, and can offer potential additional licensed content?

This. The multiplayer working is a big deal. And so is DLC, yes.

Obviously I have nothing against modders. I love people who mod. They make video games better. But if I have the opportunity to experience a "mod" through the eyes of the actual game devs, it's always better. There are very few exceptions.

Agreed. I think it's great that people mod, but I will take 3 *official* NPCs by game devs over 3 unofficial ones any day. No offense to any modders out there.

I mean, the only mods I actively use are like ... making Ankheg Armor non-magical and Dungeon-Be-Gone. lulz.

@Quartz

Since Overhaul has already confirmed that the 3 new NPCs will be in BG2 the numbers are this.

8 Good (+Rasaad)

If they can find a way to get us up to like 9 9 8 or something closer to BG1 I'd be thrilled. As it is they already mentioned in the AMAA that they'd be adding a pure thief in BG2 but really didn't tell us more than that.

Good point, and agreed! BG2 needs to be more balanced on NPCs, and have A LOT more ... if you ask me, the excess of NPCs in BG1 is its strength. On top of that, they are almost all balanced with one another except for the thieves. :P
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

@Quartz

8 Good (+Rasaad)

They're also going to add an evil-aligned thief of some type character to BG2:EE. They confirmed as much in the Reddit AMA. I'd snoop around for links, but I'm lazy.

Hasn't been any details beyond that, but still.

@Quartz

8 Good (+Rasaad)

They're also going to add an evil-aligned thief of some type character to BG2:EE. They confirmed as much in the Reddit AMA. I'd snoop around for links, but I'm lazy.

Hasn't been any details beyond that, but still.
    It's all good, I saw that as well.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Schneidend is quite right: the DAO characters are, if nothing else, subtle subversions of the tropes you'd expect if you were a well-read fantasy buff - the noble paladin is a scared virgin who prefers letting other people lead, the evil witch was raised by her mother to follow extremist Darwinism, the elf uses sex talk to distract you from what he's really going through, etc.

Moreover, this subversion is also true on a broader scale: sure, dwarves live underground, but their society is also depicted as being so rigid, so hierarchical in its caste structure, that they're basically on the cusp of extinction even without the darkspawn threat. The elves have no innate affinity to nature - they're either living in city slums or wandering around desperately trying to understand just what it is they're supposed to be doing. The templars are hardliners whose actions are, depending on your interpretation, tragically necessary or horrifically excessive. Mages are basically punished for being born, and are extremely vulnerable to possession and corruption at all times - there's no Elminster or Gandalf to show people the wondrous benefits of magic.

No, I would argue DAO is the result of Gaider and friends looking at the Tolkien template, turning it upside down and saying "okay, that's a good starting point, let's keep going."
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I loved DA:O and don't get the vitriol poured against it by other CRPG fans.

It started slow. Then again, I can't think of any CPRG without a slow start. BG1 has a slow start if you ask me because until you hit level 2 or 3, you're at the mercy of RNG. I actually like the starter dungeon in BG2 (it was done really well from a train-the-player stand point) but most people seem to hate it. DA:O through Lothering is kind of boring but after that, I thoroughly enjoyed everything.

It had great characters. Alistair is written very well and is quite likable, and he's the one that falls into the typical fantasy trope the most. Wynne is very atypical for the old mage archtype (she has magic breasts!), Morrigan is frustratingly morally grey and ambiguous, Zevrhan is pretty weird as far as assassins go. And you have a GOLEM NPC. Shale is without a doubt one of my favorite characters in RPG history.

Besides, if we're going to get on DA:O for "predictable fantasy RPG characters," the same could be applied to Baldur's Gate. Surly, money grubbing dwarf? Check. Dopey dumb-as-bricks but loyal fighter guy? Check. Shorty with a penchant for stealing things? Check. Amazon? Check. Secretive plotting wizard? Check.

You kind of can't escape cliches anymore. It's said in the world of literature you can't make a story that wasn't written by Homer first; the Iliad and the Odyssey encompass all drama.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't know about that, @sandmanCCL. I don't recall anyone in the Iliad or Odyssey that reminded me of Jan Jansen and his Flasher Master Bruiser Mates.

Maybe Cassandra. But even that's a stretch. ;)
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    Whoops ... looks like I touched on a few nerves here.

Sure in hind sight, the BG NPCs certainly look like textbook fantasy characters, but I can't help but feel like they were the first of their kind. Morrigan just seems like a rehash of Viconia, Zevran - Coran, Oghren - Korgan, Aveline- Jaheira, Isabela - Safana.
    (I had to google their names because I'd forgotten them!)

I suppose what does irk me about the DA NPCs is how utterly different they each are. They share no similarities to one another, all they do is disagree and argue - without, I must add, any real consequences (I'm thinking Kivan - Viconia, Edwin - Minsc, Jaheira - Xzar etc), they're all at polar ends of this 'spectrum' Bioworn invented. Whereas in BG there were obvious polar personalities (the ones listed above are probably the best examples), but there were also (unlikely) friendships, Shar-Teel and Branwen, Alora and Edwin, Coran and Safana. Forgive me if some of the DA NPCs do form friendships but I don't remember their being any, I only played each game once (the latter through gritted teeth - god that was a terrible game).

Still ... this is, after all my opinion, not saying this is the truth.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Jaxsbudgie: I'm afraid you're misinformed on both counts. DAO approval affects both your party members' stats and whether or not they stay in your group - half your team will either walk away or attack you outright if you push them too far. Achieving full rivalry or friendship with party members in DA2 unlocks special abilities and determines whether or not they remain loyal to you during the schism just before the final battle.

As for relationships: Leliana and Morrigan talk about clothes, Shale the golem has a crush on Sten, and, of course, the poster girls for unlikely friendships, Aveline and Isabela. :)