Skip to content

Remembering how rubbish I was first time I played BG....

HecklerHeckler Member Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
South of Beregost there's a group of Hobgoblins round a campfire , seems daft now but first time I played I couldn't get past them . I had to go to PlanetBaldursGate for help where some helpful soul introduced me to the concept of ranged and melee , none of my party had bows or whatever . And Mulahey , boy he was tuff .

Since then I've solo'ed it to Baldurs Gate( didn't complete it solo , missed the party feel ) and with a party you can get thru the Nashkel mines PDQ , but those early experiences are etched indelibly on my mind .

Now I think ranged can be a bit overpowered , I sometimes have to decide to let enemies close in to give them a 'good' death by the sword . Stupid , I know .

Lets hear your first time experiences .

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I don't even remember man... I think my first evil party ended up with three pure mages in it (me, Xzar, and Edwin) and it was like... Man I can't get all the spells I need! Man I keep dying! If only I had... You know... Less mages! lol. Though I will admit, 3 magic missiles at once was pretty brutal for the victim.
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    @Heckler:
    I remember that fight! I was a nightmare winning it in my 1st playthrough. Now every time I replay the game I find it very rewarding butchering those hobgoblins without a scratch.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    That mage at the friendly arm inn. OMG so many death's to him.

The one that drove me nuts the most though wasn't my first playthrough but my last one. I was playing a Blade (Normally I play a paladin, ranger or fighter) and using Tutu. Packs of 6 gibberlings on the map inbetween Beregost and Friendly Arm Inn were destroying my party of myself, imoen, xzar and mataron before we could do anything. ><

I'm looking forward to EE because maybe you won't get packs of 6 of those anymore in EE. In the regular game you'd get like 1, maybe 2 or 3. Eventually if you were a high enough level you'd get 6 but by that time you had the equipment and magic to spare.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I fondly remembering walking along the road toward Baldur's Gate way too early in the game, unaware I wouldn't be allowed in, and out of nowhere Khalid suddenly died. I paused the game and read the combat log, and saw that he died due to failing a saving throw versus an ahnkeg's breath weapon. Having never played D&D before BG1, I had no clue what that was. I believe I shrieked girlishly when I actually saw what the hell they look like.

Recently, I got to visit the terror of the ahnkeg on my pen & paper players. The Bard was grabbed by an ahnkeg and dragged into the darkness of the Underdark while the party got their asses stomped by an animated statue of an unarmored, unarmed human. Literally, the animated statue stomped the party's tank, a minotaur, to death.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    My first char in BG 14 years ago was an elven ranger using Kivan's portrait (had no idea those were not for Charname's use only) whose stats weren't that great either (I rolled a couple times but in the end decided I'd rather play than roll again and again). Was a bit puzzled when I recruited Kivan as his portrait didn't fit his class and personality at all (he was saddled with the default elf portrait), unlike the rest of my party of Imoen, Monty and Xzar. I went to the Friendly Arm Inn via High Hedge, Beregost and Coast Way instead of straight ahead, and as I'd solved a part of the Beregost quests and recruited Garrick too, Tarnesh was a pushover.
    That ranger's career ended on the way to the Gnoll Fortress when Garrick identified the Gauntlets of Dexterity - I found them so overpowered I decided to reroll and settle for minimum dexterity as I could raise it later with the gauntlets.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    The very first character I rolled up was a human mage who promptly got killed by a wolf in the very first map. I had taken Imoen along as a traveling companion, and had her firing her bow. But to no avail. My mage was desperately trying to cast his very first spell as the wolf took him down.

I figured well, okay, no armor or shield... just a robe, quarterstaff, and a sling, lol. So sad for Imoen to watch me take a dirt nap so soon. Onto plan B. Let me try equipping my hero instead with some armor, helmet, sword, and sturdy shield.

So I made a human fighter. This fellow got waxed in the second map outside Candlekeep by bandits. It was immediately clear to me that bows and arrows were some powerful shit in this game.

So for my third go (third time's the charm, right?) I made a half-elven Fighter-Mage (named Lemernis) and I equipped him with some armor and a composite long bow.

And... after reading about how to do it on a fan site... I also created a full custom party of six in MP mode, IWD style. I knew absolutely nothing about how great the game's NPCs are, mind you. But in all events, starting out with a party of six gave me a definite edge for survival, even if the party had 0 XP.

So I was able to keep the PC alive from there, of course. I just wandered the countryside and side-quested. I completely blew off Gorion's impassioned direction to seek out Khalid and Jaheira and the Friendly Arm Inn. I did eventually stumble onto them quite a bit later, and of course I got the Nashkel Mines quest. But I left them there in the inn.

In an odd way, not knowing what I was missing out on with NPCs, I nevertheless had a grand time with the party I had created. The five other party members I created had portraits that matched them well, and I had found some good custom voice sets for them. They really did take their own kind of personality via those elements and their skills, weapons, etc. So all in all, it was still a great gaming experience.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    I remember being deeply upset at Viconia when she walked out on my party. I had no idea it was because of my reputation, and I was so annoyed I rang a friend who had played before who told me how to find Branwen. Pretty sure I've never taken Viconia on a run through since.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    I've played BG twice. The first time I never made it out of the Nashkel Mines alive. The second time I made it a bit further, but died in some scary mage battle, I think. Never made to Baldur's Gate. Instead of trying a third time, I skipped to BG2: ToB.

But now, third time's the charm, right?
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    "Wait. Wait. Why does studded leather armor lower my AC more than leather armor? Why is armor even useful if it makes my AC go down? Fine, I'll just stick with leather!"

I never did, and still don't, really read directions well.
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    Besides the usual stuff of dying to wolves, hobgoblins and just about any enemy you can imagine I distinctly remember three things:

- Equipping non magic rings and amulets thinking that maybe they were making me more powerful somehow
    - Limitless despair when kobolds respawned out of nowhere and multiplied with each reload in Nashkell mines and in Firewine ruins.
    - Finishing the game with Imoen still wearing a regular studded leather armor (I probably thought armor wasn't that important for an archer and sold magic armors to finance crappy purchases)
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    I was just a simple, boring human fighter in my very first playthrough, with little to no experience in RPGs (exept for Diablo). Desperately looking for some mages somewhere with no idea whatsoever where to find one. I was such a noob I even missed Xzar and Montaron for some reason I can't recall; please don't ask. Chased by dire wolves in Lathander's temple, I fled north to the Wood of Sharp Teeth. Finally safe from the foul beasts, but far, far away from civilization, I finally found four friendly RED WIZARDS of Thay that happily 'welcomed' my arrival.

This series of unfortunate events eventually convinced me not to play as a simple fighter anymore, but to explore what the game had to offer. Then I started to understand what kind of game I was actually playing. Such huge potential we can only dream nowadays. Not to mention the characters' depth that BG2 improved even further! Eventually, all these elements fed my desire to know more about this game and develop my knowledge about the Forgotten Realms in the future.

Then some years later, I read the game's novelization and got to know this Abdel fellow, yet another human fighter. You cannot imagine my face while recalling the good days of my complete n00bishness.
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    BGII.... I knew nothing about the FR or D&D. It was the first rpg I played. I was clueless. The mephits in the Irenicus dungeon pounded me bad. It took me forever to get out of that dungeon. I went to a vendor and started selling those cheap useless $1 items highlighted in blue ;). Fortunately I figured it out in a couple of hours and wisely restarted the game.
  • SonOfBhaalSonOfBhaal Member Posts: 7
    First playthrough: weakling mage. Although for me, the most frustrating part that sticks out in my mind was running into Nimbul outside the Nashkel Inn. It's right after you clear the mines and you're all ready to rest up and get your head straight; but no, bam! NIMBUL. My first playthrough I thought I had absolutely no defense against him fearing every member of my party. It took about 10 attempts before I finally realized Jaheria could help out against the fear:)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2012
    LOL, great topic! Ah, the memories!

1) I remember thinking that Imoen could fight in combat with a short sword and leather armor. I heard her say "(gasp) I'm...so...cold" so many times, I thought that was the main thing she ever said.

2) I remember thinking that Imoen should rob houses and steal stuff despite my character's disapproval, and then getting blamed for what she did, and I thought I was only having her roleplay what I thought a thief was supposed to be. My reward? One of my most vivid memories of my first time is hearing Jaheira shout "Better leadership! Come on, Khalid!", and abandoning Imoen and me in Beregost. I had no idea what "reputation" was or how you control it. LOL

3) I remember Minsc's lines - all of them. And thinking, aw, what a great guy! Didn't most of us?

4) I remember hunting the ogre south of FAI after getting the quest from the dwarf woman. I remember getting a one-shot, down-to-one-hitpoint on somebody and knowing that we should run. And then, we ran all right, right into two wolves and about six xvarts! LOL. I got my first experience with realizing that I was going to be reloading more than I ever had before in my gaming life!

5) I remember the dreaded "you have been waylaid by enemies, and must defend yourself!" And we got that in a mountain pass trying to get to Dynaheir, and it had an ogre mage! We tried to run, but couldn't because there were too many smaller enemies supporting the ogre mage and blocking our way. Sigh, reload number 1001.

6) I remember us stumbling all over ourselves trying to conduct melee combat on the stairs leading to Dynaheir's prison pit in the gnoll lair, and getting our butts handed to us by the gnoll captain, because I had no idea as a party leader about how to manage narrow areas and passageways and of the importance of ranged fire.

7) I remember setting off every darn trap in the Nashkel mines, especially the three magic missile traps in front of the slope down to the final level. And then, getting reload numbers 1002-1010 against the kobold fire archers. And then, learning about Hold Person, and "calls for help" for skeleton and kobold armies against Mulahey. Reloads number 1011-1020.

8) I remember *finally* getting to the final battle, after reload 2001 or so. And then, because I had been using puny AC (meh, surely AC doesn't matter *that* much, and our avatars look so much more attractive in leather and chain), and *still* didn't understand the magic system and the ranged tactics system enough to be effective in my tactical leadership, I could NOT defeat Sarevok and company. I think I wound up setting the difficulty slider to "easy" and going to about reload number 3001. Yup, believe it or not, I gave up on it and did not finish the end of the game. I just decided to "pretend" that I had won at the end.

9) EDIT, and backtracking a bit: I remember getting creamed by the mage on the steps of the FAI, with his mirror image, horror, and magic missiles. I remember thinking "huh, how is *anybody* supposed to win this encounter"?

It took years and playing SoA before I *started* to get the hang of the guerilla tactics you need to play this kind of game. And even then, I gave up on ToB when it came out. I only just last summer defeated ToB for the first time.

Ah, gods, I *love* this game!
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    edited September 2012
    When I just had the demo I thought that by far the greatest character choice was obviously the fighter/mage/cleric. Took me a long time to see the many pit-falls of that class.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I still remember Friendly Arm mage dude. I try to use wand o' magic missiles (Imoen) and hope that he can't 'fear' me. If the guards kill him, you get no XP, so it's touchy - I need that XP early on.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284

"Wait. Wait. Why does studded leather armor lower my AC more than leather armor? Why is armor even useful if it makes my AC go down? Fine, I'll just stick with leather!"

Hehe, did the same - I was coming from Diablo 1 and as a result was thinking the better the armor, the higher the AC, and upon reaching FAI and recruiting Khalid and Jaheira I promptly striped Khalid of his Splint Mail and had him in leather. Was a bit puzzled as the description clearly stated that splint / chainmail is better than simple leather, but thought it must be a bug and kept on the armor with the highest AC. Took me a while to figure it out :).
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I remember getting tired of a bunch of characters I made early on, rerolling, et cetera...
    Then, uhh...there was some horrible "uninst.isu" issue with my discs, which, combined with my inability to comprehend Windows, prevented me from playing the game for years.
    In any case, that aside, there was: the armor class confusion, not knowing how to properly roll ability scores, and a problem with the Gnoll Stronghold.

My solution to all of these problems is an understanding of AD&D mechanics and/or Shar-Teel. Oh, and having characters steal from stores.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    And who can forget the Kobolds. After wasting MANY of these easy opponents, this new Kobold Commando arrives and packs some smoke in those missiles!

They caused many deaths. And re-loads.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited September 2012
    I remember the vampiric wolves, fighting them and casting spells on them with normal weapons, seeing them sooo low on health, near death, and then slowly healing. Amazed by how hard a fight it was and wondering how many 10k's of xp i would get from this hidden wolf boss fight. Finally getting wiped, reload and fight again, not realizing that the weapons couldn't damage it, and that my chars were talking because they were in the fight as well, that it was epic. Wiped, reload.

Days later, after being taught very painfully that vampiric wolves are to be feared, running away from them with my high lvl party with nice shiny +2 weapons. That wolf is a bug, unbeatable or has troll in it. Run Away, Run Away, RUN AWAY!!!!!

Edit: also wondering why you can't cast raise dead on random dead people not in your party, and why it has no effect on skellies. Heck, a pheonix down can even kill a train if it's undead. :)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    The mage at Friendly Arm Inn - to this day, whenever I get round to him, I wait for a lot of guards to be around and buff my party up as good as is possible that early in the game.

I always had problems with Silke. It might have to do with the fact that I believed giving Imoen a long sword and sending her into melee was a good idea... basically all the encounters at a low level are damn hard because they are so swingy, and combined with an opaque ruleset (to this day, I don't understand how I ever came to grasps with it) the arena is set for defeat upon defeat.

Without all those internet spell guides, I'd still be rubbish at the game. I just can't tell good spells from worthless ones, I'd be like "oohh shiny, ooohh cool, oohhh insects" and leave stuff like Stoneskin out simply because its icon looked so weird and I couldn't understand what it really did.
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    First time I played: got killed first by a wolf or deer I think, then gibberlings haha.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    For all you chaps who had problems with the mage assassin at the Friendly Arm Inn - just line him up with a magic missile or arrows or something similar just before you start talking to him - then the assorted projectiles will slam into him immediately after the conversation ends interrupting his (ultra-quick) cast of mirror image. After that he's totally your bitch.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The first time you play you don't know Tarnesh is an assassin, of course.

You can also try to disrupt his spellcasting with Immy's wand of Magic Missiles. If your PC is a spellcaster cast Blind on him and pepper him with arrows. If you have Xzar along you're pretty much stuck with Larloch''s Minor Drain and Chill Touch, though, IIRC.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Lock said:

For all you chaps who had problems with the mage assassin at the Friendly Arm Inn - just line him up with a magic missile or arrows or something similar just before you start talking to him - then the assorted projectiles will slam into him immediately after the conversation ends interrupting his (ultra-quick) cast of mirror image. After that he's totally your bitch.

He's more interesting with the SCS mod installed. He engages at distance, insta-cast shield and mirror images on himself then nail your entire party with sleep if you don't manage to interrupt him. Silke is better too. She'll quaff healing pots, go invisible, and run away.

In the original game he's a joke if the PC is melee based with a decent thac0 -- your guy hits him once and he drops.

I'm kinda hoping BG:EE has this kind of 'smarter' AI.